LAMOINE SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
SCHOOL COMMITTEE MEETING
MONDAY, JANUARY 3, 2005 AT 7:00 P.M.
LAMOINE CONSOLIDATED SCHOOL
Members Present: Tammy Dickey, Chair; Bonnie Marckoon, Faith Perkins, Linda Haft
Members Late: None
Members Absent: Frank Murray (excused)
Staff Present: Val Perkins, Principal; William A. Fowler, Superintendent;
Others: Sheri Wilder
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:01 P.M.
2. CONSIDERATION OF THE MINUTES OF MEETING ON 11/1/04
A motion was made by Faith Perkins, seconded by Bonnie Marckoon, to accept the Minutes of 11/1/04 as presented.
3. PUBLIC COMMENTS
4. REVIEW OF AGENDA
A. Chairperson – Tammy Dickey read her report which will be part of the official minutes; thanked the board members and administration for their time, energy and ideas to complete the budget and recognized middle level teachers for being “on line”. Also noted was the presence of Lamoine students on both M.D.I. and E.H.S. National Honor Societies.
1. Principal’s Report – Principal Perkins distributed his report and noted several items:
- Holiday concerts
- Winter Sports Season
- U92 High School Fair
- Revamped vending machine offerings (water, juice)
- Breakfast program offering less sugar and healthier choices.
2. Superintendent’s Report – Superintendent Fowler reported on the following:
a. Distributed copies of the December Joint Board minutes;
b. Distributed updated enrollment info to chair (Revision # 3); and
c. Gave a quick update on current court case.
C. Standing Committee Reports
1. Building Committee – The state site visit has been completed. The Superintendent and the Principal reported that it was an excellent meeting with quality questions being asked during a tour of the school.
2. M.D.I. – Tammy Dickey gave a quick update on a recent M.D.I. High School meeting.
D. Warrant Signatures – Warrant #4 in the amount of $241,029.47 was signed by the School Committee.
6. OLD BUSINESS
7. NEW BUSINESS
Mr. Perkins was pleased to report that the offerings in the vending machine were changed to 12 oz. water and Minute Maid juices. He also noted changes in the breakfast program (less sugar).
Following a review by the Superintendent, a motion was made by Faith Perkins, seconded by Linda Haft, to approve the M.D.I. Tuition Contract as presented.
Vote: Yes 4 No 0
Superintendent Fowler distributed the draft proposal and recommended to hold off action until after Monday night’s Budget Committee meeting.
There was no action taken.
A motion was made by Faith Perkins, seconded by Linda Haft, to go into Executive Session for the purpose of the Principal’s Evaluation [1 M.R.S.A.§ 405 (6) (A)].
Time In: 7:55 P.M.
Time Out: 8:21 P.M.
Vote: Yes 4 No 0
Following the Executive Session, a motion was made by Faith Perkins, seconded by Bonnie Marckoon, to approve Superintendent Fowler’s recommendation as follows:
1. Extend Val Perkins’s contract to 6/30/07;
2. Set the salary at $64,236.00 for 2005-2006 which includes a performance factor; and
3. Insurance benefits will remain the same.
Vote: Yes 4 No 0
8. OTHER BUSINESS
High school student information update
Bonnie noted that she brought copies of the American School Board Journal for others to review.
· FY 06 Budget approval
D. There will be no meeting in February. The next regular meeting will be
Monday, March 7, 2005 at 7:00 P.M. at the Lamoine Consolidated
The meeting was adjourned at 8:24 P.M. on a motion by Faith Perkins.
Attest: a true record
William A. Fowler, Secretary