Town of Lamoine, Maine
Home
Town Hall
School
Fire Department
Boards
Calendars

LAMOINE SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
SCHOOL COMMITTEE MEETING
MONDAY, JUNE 7, 2004 AT 5:00 P.M.
LAMOINE CONSOLIDATED SCHOOL

Draft Adopted_____________

NOTE: EARLIER TIME BECAUSE OF A CONCERT AT 6:30 P.M.


Members Present: Tammy Dickey, Chair; Linda Haft, Bonnie Marckoon, Faith Perkins, Frank Murray
Members Late: None
Members Absent: None
Staff Present: Val Perkins, Principal; William A. Fowler, Superintendent; Amy Duym
Others: Jo Cooper, Patty Murphy, Patty and Brett Heath, Chrystine Emeigh, Rene Grant

1. The meeting was called to order at 5:00 P.M.

2. CONSIDERATION OF THE MINUTES OF MEETING ON 5/3/04

A motion was made by Frank Murray, seconded by Bonnie Marckoon, to accept the Minutes of 5/3/04 as presented.

Vote: Yes 5 No 0

Superintendent Fowler reminded everyone present to date the Minutes as approved.

3. PUBLIC COMMENTS (15 Minutes)

None

4. REVIEW OF AGENDA

None

5. COMMUNICATIONS/REPORTS

A. Chairperson – Chairperson Dickey read her report which will become a part of the official minutes.

B. Administration

1. Principal’s Report – Principal Perkins reviewed his report and reported on the success of the 8th Grade class trip.

Amy Duym was present to give an update on the Summer School Program—literacy and math for six weeks—three days a week.

Mr. Perkins also shared Terra Nova test results from the past four years.

2. Superintendent’s Report – Superintendent Fowler reported on the following:

a. Distributed April 1st tuition information to the Chair;
b. Collected policy manuals;
c. Reminded everyone to vote tomorrow; and
d. Reminded everyone of the Union #92/MSAD #26 Joint Board meeting on June 22nd at 7:00 P.M. at the Lamoine Consolidated School.

C. Standing Committees

Building Committee: Bonnie Marckoon reported that the application has been submitted.

Project Challenge: Faith Perkins reported progress on the program evaluation piece.

D. Warrant Signatures – Warrant #12 in the amount of $242,283.81 was signed by the School Committee.

6. OLD BUSINESS

Principal Perkins gave a quick update on a recent Playground Committee meeting.

7. NEW BUSINESS

A. Remedial Math Update

Jo Cooper was present to reiterate her concern for a remedial math program. Although the Summer School Program now includes math, Ms. Cooper would prefer an offering during the day. This issue needs more thought and consideration in the future. There was no action taken.

B. Discussion Regarding Transportation Needs (Patty Murphy)

Patty Murphy proposed going from three (3) buses to two (2) next year. The Principal’s concern was that the length of the school day not be impacted. Patty will meet with Mr. Perkins to make sure that he is satisfied with the potential schedule. Mr. Fowler and Mr. Bridgham will meet with Laidlaw to determine the approximate savings. Consensus was to use two buses if the Administrators felt it would not be too disruptive and could save some money.

There was no action taken.

C. Discussion Regarding the Recent Community Forum

Faith Perkins raised her concern that more information be presented to the public regarding the building project/application. It was suggested that Mr. Bridgham draft a news release regarding the recent submission of a construction application for Bonnie Marckoon to review. The information should include an outline of the next steps in the process.

There was no action taken.

D. Sports Boosters Committee

Several people were present to explain the concept of a Sports Boosters Committee/Club. A mission statement was distributed and discussed. It was suggested that fundraising be coordinated and that they not call themselves “non-profit”. Following a discussion, a motion was made by Frank Murray, seconded by Faith Perkins, to allow the Sports Boosters Committee/Club to operate under the umbrella of the school with funds managed under the Principal’s Account.

Vote: Yes 5 No 0

8. OTHER BUSINESS

A. Requests for Information

B. Board Comments

Faith Perkins commended Mr. Perkins on recent field trips!

C. Future Agenda Items

• Review Terra Nova test results
• Transportation Savings Going from Three to Two Buses
• Approval of Handbooks

D. The next regular meeting will be on Monday, August 16, 2004 at 5:00 P.M.


9. ADJOURNMENT

The meeting was adjourned on a motion by Faith Perkins at 6:22 P.M.


Attest: a true record

William A. Fowler
Secretary