Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Town Hall
Fire Department
Newly Added
1870 - Lamoine 150 - 2020
Minutes - March 14, 2019 (Draft, subject to correction)


Cynthia Donaldson called the meeting to order at 3:35 P.M. at the Town Hall.


Present were:  Committee members: Cynthia Donaldson, Gordon Donaldson, Carol Duffy, Miranda Engstrom, and Josephine Cooper (arrived at about 4:00 P.M.).

Absent: Nelia McIntire and Marion McFarland.

Guest:  Carolyn Ackerman (representing LBC)


Future Meeting Dates

            Thursday, April 11 at 3:30 P.M. at the Town Hall

            Thursday, May 9 at 3:30 P.M. at the Town Hall

            Saturday, June 15 at noon at the Town Hall for Logo Reveal


Tasks for (or before) Next Meeting

Carol will finish setting up the Lamoine 150 YouTube Channel.

Gordon will update the Lamoine 150 Progress Updater list in Google Drive.

Miranda will create a Logo Contest handout to distribute at town meeting.

Gordon will write an article for the Lamoine Quarterly.

Gordon will contact David Cheever, Chair of the Maine 200 Committee, and invite him to attend one of our meetings.

Miranda will post information about Logo Contest on Facebook.

Cynthia will work on a template for postcards to be mailed to Lamoine residents.

            Everyone will check our Calendar of Events and decide whether or not to keep highlighted events.

            Gordon will have a table at the Lamoine Flat Top Race on March 30 with shirts to sell and information about our September 28, 2019 race.



The minutes of our February 14, 2019 meeting were approved.  Our secretary, as usual, did an excellent job on the minutes.  (Comment by Cynthia.)


Publicity and PR

Gordon reported that we got almost all of our money back from the Lamoine Half-Marathon shirts.  We will have the rest of the shirts to sell on March 30 at the Lamoine Flat Top Race.  Gordon will have a table at this event with shirts and information about our September 28th race.


Gordon will write an artifact article for the April  Lamoine Quarterly.  We will also have an article about the Logo Contest.  If possible, we’d like to have it on the front page.


Kick-Off Event (September 28, 2019)

A good solid meeting will be held in May with Gordon, Robin Emery, and others to firm up details about the road race and lunch.  A possible race entry fee will be $15  (includes shirt and lunch).


There will be a “Little Kids Dash” across the playground starting at 10:15.  This will be for children 4 and younger with ribbons for all participants.


The Fire Department and Lamoine Baptist Women Ministries will be in charge of the lunch.  Tentative menu: burgers, hot dogs, fried chicken, pasta salad(?), chips, drinks, and cookies. Possible prices:  adults $5, kids $3, families $20.  If the two groups do not recover their costs, then Lamoine 150 will cover the difference.  Skip Smith and Carolyn Ackerman are the contact people.


Safety and security will be provided by the Fire Department. Timing will cost $100.

Maine 200

David Cheever is the chair of the Maine 200 Committee.  His phone number is 287-5793.  They have a million dollar budget which can include grants or mini-grants.  Jo wants to apply for something for our final August weekend celebration in 2020.  We’d like to explore having Lamoine School designated as a Bicentennial School but need information.  Gordon will send a copy of our plan to him and ask what part might be a mini-grant from the state.  He will also ask him to meet with our committee.


Progress Updater

Gordon shared the progress updater and a tentative schedule for Lamoine Anniversary Evenings. 


Logo Committee

Everything is ready for our Logo Contest.  Miranda will post a notice on Facebook with a link to a Google Doc with entry details.  Articles will be submitted to the Lamoine Quarterly and the Ellsworth American. Information should also be sent out using town email, school newsletter, and radio.  A flyer will be created by Miranda for Town Meeting.  She’ll email it to Stu for printing and distribution.


Final  Festival Weekend

We have three members for our Ad Hoc Festival Weekend Committee:  Jo Cooper, Jen Reynolds Sargent, and Diane Sanderson.  More members are needed, especially representation from the Fire Department and Lamoine Baptist Church.  Thelma Beal will come to a meeting with this ad hoc committee.



We discussed plans for mailing postcards quarterly with upcoming events starting in July 2019.  Logo entries could be used for these.  It will cost $50 to print 500 postcards.  We need to find out if the town has bulk mailing that we could use.  If we send a general mailing to Lamoine Residents, it will be easier than using a mailing list. Cynthia is going to work on this idea for next time.



Cynthia is keeping track of possible costs.


There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 4:50 P.M. 


Respectfully submitted, 

Carol Duffy, Secretary