Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
1870 - Lamoine 150 - 2020
Minutes - September 25, 2019 (Draft, subject to correction)
Present: Jo Cooper, Cynthia Donaldson, Miranda Engstrom, Marion McFarland (Alternate), Gordon Donaldson
Members of the Public: Diane Sanderson, Robin Emery, Carolyn Ackerman, Stu Marckoon
Cynthia called the meeting to order at 3:36 p.m.
1. Minutes of the Sept. 12 meeting. Motion to approve (Miranda); second (Gordon). Approved unanimously
2. As discussed in earlier meetings, we’re feeling a growing need for assistance as our Lamoine 150! activities ramp up. Cynthia suggested, again based on past discussions, that we appoint two additional Alternates to the committee. Diane Sanderson was invited to fill one position and graciously accepted; approved by the committee. Miranda suggested that Angela Johnson would make an excellent and willing alternate member. The committee agreed and Cynthia will approach Angela to invite her. Gordon clarified that our two Alternates will be full participants in our meetings; they will vote when a regular member is absent.
3. Miranda reviewed the plans for Saturday’s Community Scavenger Hunt and displayed the (very flashy) certificates that all participants will receive. The Hunt has been advertised at school and excitement is brewing! Thanks to Carol and Miranda!
4. 150! Merchandise was displayed: shirts, beanies (race caps), baseball hats (adult and child), mugs, magnets, and posters. The latter three items may be purchased at the Town Hall. All will be available at Lamoine 150! Events, beginning this Saturday at the Scavenger Hunt.
5. Gordon reviewed the final schedule for October 5 and the Volunteer Roster, with assignments. The group helped to refine the list, times, locations, and availability of volunteers. The updated Roster will be shared with committee members by email.
6. Cynthia suggested that volunteers be recognized in some fashion on the 5th. The group’s consensus was to purchase tee shirts in a vivid color and imprint them with “Lamoine 150! Volunteer” and, if possible, the logo. Miranda set to work immediately to order 50.
7. Flags: we decided to take up this matter during the winter, as the flags would be an exciting “spring unveiling” for our spring and summer events.
8. Bags: Jo and Miranda wondered about creating a 150! tote bag. That idea riffed into the possibility of “draw-string bags”. Nobody has yet stepped up to do something like this as a fund-raiser. Miranda will suggest it to the 8th grade to support their promotion activities next June.
9. Celebrating Our Story: Gordon briefly described the plans for the first COS on October 23 at the Grange, entitled “The Road to Incorporation in 1870”.. We will need to marshall some volunteers for refreshments and merchandise sales.
10. Jo wondered about organizing a group to design and sew a Lamoine 150th quilt. We will take this up at the October meeting.
11. Post Card #2 will need to be designed, produced, and mailed in November.
Our next meeting will be October 10 at 3:30 at the Town Hall.
Adjourned at 4:52 p.m.
Gordon Donaldson, Substitute Scribe