Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
1870 - Lamoine 150 - 2020
Minutes - February 13, 2020 (Draft, subject to correction)
Present: Cynthia Donaldson, Miranda Engstrom, Carol Duffy, Gordon Donaldson, Angela Johnson, Diane Sanderson
Cynthia called the meeting to order at 4:04 p.m.
Carol moved to approve the minutes of the January meeting (Miranda second). Approved unanimously.
1. Carol reported on the Feb. 8 “Lamoine in Poetry, Song, and Stories”. Enjoyed by all. Attendance about 35.
2. Coming Up: Feb. 23 another Cribbage Fest, 2 to 4 p.m. The coffee pot will be on. Stu has publicized. Carol and Gordon will do so as well.
3. Carol reported on “A Day in Lamoine” photo day, yesterday February 11, 2020. She estimates that we received about 200 photos. She will be organizing them and we plan to show them March 1 at the Birthday Party and at other events.
4. Gordon gave a summary of the Celebrating Our Story plan for April 15. Main presenter will be John Holt. Focus: The Original Families of Lamoine.
5. Cynthia reported the finances from the past month.
6. Future Planning:
a. March 1 Birthday Party. 1-3 p.m. Lamoine School
i. Miranda has ordered “fancy invitations” to send to dignitaries from the Governor on down. We haven’t heard back from folks except the Governor who can’t come but will send us a “Message” for the occasion.
ii. Carol walked us through the schedule and a “to do” list to prepare for March 1. Please see Carol’s detailed list of who’s going to what, when!
iii. Cynthia has asked Stu to develop a Proclamation from the Select Board to make it all official.
b. Possible Program Additions?
· Adding a second Cribbage Fest Feb. 23 (see above)
· Cynthia suggested inviting folks to “bring a treasure of Lamoine” to share it and the story behind it with others. A sort of Antiques Road Show or “story corps” idea; film these “sharings”. Perhaps in May?
· March 29: Grange will be doing a program on the history of the Grange.
c. 150 Festival Weekend, August 2020
I. Jo hasn’t managed to convene the parade committee. Will do so soon. Diane is trying to connect with the bagpipe “lady”; Bob is contacting another possible music group. Cynthia has lined up the Fletcher’s Landing Philharmonic (cost of $400) and two Shrine group ($500 each). Jo asked that we find a co-chair for the parade committee.
II. Clambake and Fireworks. Fireworks are all set. It was suggested that there be a committee for this part of the event. Who can organize the food and the program? Cynthia and Gordon have approached Tyler Stanley to see if his band could come and perform at the meal and after. ($1,500) We need to determine what the food will be and whether it’ll be free (and to whom). We all volunteered to do some research on this by our March meeting.
III. Friday and Sunday activities? A Craft Fair – looking for a group to take this on; Miranda will approach the Patrons to do it at the school. (Diane will check) Historical Society event on Sunday. Fire Department Auction?
IV. Publicizing it? Lamoine Quarterly. An article in the American in May or June? A letter to each business in town to encourage their participation.
7. Cynthia reported that there is another $5,000 on the Town Meeting warrant, to be added to what our current balance is. With anticipated expenditures (parade; festival) we can live within this budget.
Our next meeting is March 12th at 4:00
April meeting is April 9th at 4:00
Adjourned at 5:18 p.m.
Gordon Donaldson, Interim Secretary