Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Board of Appeals
Minutes - July 3, 2017
1. Recognizing that a quorum is present, Chair Fenton called the meeting to order at 18:40 pm.
Present were Appeals Board members Hancock “Griff” Fenton, Jay Fowler [joined mid meeting], Michael Jordan, and Jon VanAmringe; and Code Enforcement Officer Edward “Rick” Gallegos.
2. Minutes from Prior Meeting [21 June 2017]. Mr. Jordan moved to approve the Minutes as presented. Mr. VanAmringe 2nd. Vote in favor was 3-0.
3. Selection of Board Officers through June 30, 2018
Chair: Mr. VanAmringe moved that Mr. Fenton continue as Chairman. Mr. Jordan 2nd. Vote in favor was 3-0.
Vice Chair: Mr. Fenton moved that Mr. VanAmringe serve as Vice Chairman. Mr. Jordan 2nd. Vote in favor was 3-0.
Secretary: Mr. Fenton moved that Ms. Bender serve as Secretary. Mr. VanAmringe 2nd. Vote in favor was 3-0.
4. Request for Variance (Timothy & Amanda Frost, Map 15 Lot 23). CEO informed the Board that he had issued a Building Permit on 28 June. Amanda Frost therefore notified the Town that she was withdrawing the Request for Variance, which was thereby moot.
5. Request for Variance (Donald S. & Chloe Hatcher, Map 3 Lot 18A)
Neither Donald nor Chloe Hatcher was present to continue discussion of this matter. Based on prior Board suggestion, Mr. Hatcher met with the CEO and discussed this matter further in an attempt to ascertain what issues affect building on this property particularly a driveway with entrance/egress on Shore Road.
Board further discussed this Request for Variance.
· It is possible for Hatcher to request this Variance prior to seeking a Building Permit
· By reconfiguring and dividing the property it would be possible to establish a Right of Way beginning on Shore Road. This could establish a conforming front lot with greater than 200 feet of frontage to meet current requirements of the Lamoine Building and Land Use Ordinance. A 15 foot offset would be required from adjoining properties. The Public Way would in effect create the requested access to the intended building to be constructed near water frontage at rear of Map 3 Lot 18-A.
Mr. Jordan moved that further discussion of this Request for Variance be deferred until the Board’s next meeting. Mr. VanAmringe 2nd. Vote in favor was 3-0.
Mr. Fowler joined the meeting at 17:12 pm.
6. Appeals Board Ordinance – Mr. Fenton offered, as example, the Reorganization of the Town of Mount Desert Zoning Board of Appeals amended 3 May 2016. A Preamble was added to the current 02 December 2015 working draft of the Town of Lamoine Board of Appeals Ordinance.
Chair will consolidate comments from the general discussion that ensued. It is the Chair’s hope that at the next plenary meeting of the Board we can discuss this as well as the. Board also considered state statute and other guidance as to whether the Lamoine Appeals Board could consider both de novo and administrative appeals. Further discussion was deferred to the next regular meeting with hopes of having full participation of all Board of Appeals members.
7. Other matters to come before the Board of Appeals – None
8. Next meeting date(s) – Tuesday, 15 August at 18:30 pm at the Town Office.
There being no further business, on the motion of Mr. Jordan, second by Mr. Fowler, all members voting in favor, the meeting was adjourned at 20:11 pm.
Jon VanAmringe, Secretary