Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Comprehensive Planning Committee
Minutes - February 8, 2018 (Draft, subject to correction)
1. Meeting called to order by Fred Stocking at 6:30 pm. Those in attendance were Richard, Mike, Bob, Kathie, Fred, Val, Andrea, and Wanda.
2. Consideration of the minutes from January 25, 2017. Moved and seconded by Kathie and Bob to accept the minutes as written. Approved 6:0.
3. The committee reviewed the latest draft of the Goals, Policies, and Strategies. Fred took hand-written notes of all changes on his copy. Decisions and pertinent discussion included here.
· Historical and Archeological Resources: Changes, with noted grammatical corrections, were approved by unanimous consent
· Fresh Water Resources: Changes were approved by unanimous consent
· Natural Resources: Changes, with noted grammatical and editorial corrections, were approved by unanimous consent
Agricultural and Forest
Resources: Changes were approved by unanimous consent
Discussed removing “Development Committee” to 2.2. The thought is that this would be a committee that would know/understand the available resources to provide direction, and could also follow up on measuring the success of the Comprehensive Plan. Could this be handled by an advocacy group vs a more formal committee? And isn’t that really the decision of the Select Board to determine the structure of committees. The request is that we have a more detailed conversation about these ideas before the Comprehensive Planning Committee disperses; perhaps we could write an exit letter with some recommendations about how some of this follow-up and support of the Town to implement the plan can happen. There are areas, e.g., in economy section, where there are no real committees, resources, etc., to carry on the work that we are proposing.
· Marine Resources: Changes, with noted grammatical and editorial corrections, were approved by unanimous consent
· Population and Demographics: No changes
· Economy: Not complete; will be reviewed at the Feb 22 meeting
· Housing: Changes were approved, with noted editorial changes, by unanimous consent
· Recreation: Changes were approved, with noted editorial changes, by unanimous consent
· Transportation: Not complete; will be reviewed at the Feb 22 meeting, if completed by then
· Public Facilities and Services: Changes were approved by unanimous consent
The committee will read and cogitate on
this section, and we will review again at the Feb 22 meeting.
Lots of discussion around 1.1. We decided to let Fred consider rewording, and we will review again at Feb 22 meeting.
Kathie and Fred will also work on rewording 3.3.
Some discussion around the need for educational materials.
Kathie will consider rewording for potentially reviving 4.1.
Fred will contemplate rewording 6.2 (crossed out) to model it after 1.1.
We need to indicate who is going to implement each item.
4. Val provided a marked up copy of Agriculture Resources with a few minor editorial changes, which Fred will take care of.
5. Val and Kathie are updating the four natural resources sections for Rick and will get them to him by Feb 22.
Upcoming meeting dates and
potential agenda items for upcoming meetings:
Feb 22 – Review Economy, Transportation (if Richard has it done), and Education (if Wanda has it done), and re-review updated Climate Change sections
Kathie moved and Val seconded
to adjourn the meeting. The meeting adjourned at 8:06 pm.