Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Lamoine Conservation Commission Minutes January 11, 2006
The meeting was called to order at 7:07 PM .
Present: Carol Korty, alternate Bob Pulver and Lynda Tadema-Wielandt. Absent: Fred Stocking, Chair, Donna Theall, Tom Spruce, and Donna Thurburn, alternate.
Attending: Associate Nancy Pochan, Willem Brutsaert, Ken Smith, Kathy DeFusco and Don Bamman. Carol Korty presided in the absence of the Chair.
1. Review of Agenda. No changes.
2. Consideration of Minutes. November minutes were read by Lynda Tadema-Wielandt. A motion was made and seconded to accept the minutes as corrected with one correction made by Ken Smith. December minutes were read by Carol Korty. Several minor corrections were made, and a motion was made and seconded to accept the minutes as corrected. The vote was 3 to 0.
3. Freshwater Initiative Water Testing/School Project Update (Carol/Bob)
Consideration of Grant Proposal to Healthy Acadia .
Bob Pulver reported:
Carol K. has finalized the grant request to New England Grassroots Environmental Fund. She summarized the request, which basically is asking for $2,500 to help buy 3 monitoring devices to place at gravel pits whose owners will have given permission. These monitors will provide daily information and will exist for many years. The data will be downloaded directly to a computer while keeping the monitor in place. There being no discussion, Carol will present the grant and a revised cover letter to the Selectmen at tomorrow's meeting for their signature.
The goals of Part II of the Freshwater Initiative are:
Willem Brutsaert is meeting with John Peckenham and Teresa Thornton to select the bedrock wells for monitoring. Several attendees volunteered their wells.
Bob Pulver reported on the grant request to Healthy Acadia. All applications will have been read by January 17. A Letter of Understanding will be sent to the Town. The grant money comes from the tobacco settlement.
4. Listening to the concerns of those attending. Don Bamman introduced himself as a new resident of Lamoine, and offered his help. He is interested in our efforts in recycling and watershed conservation. He gave us his phone and email number. We said we would definitely contact him.
Carol K. mentioned a series of seminars and meetings, including the Mitchell Center Seminar Series, Project Canopy 2006, Arbor Day Foundation, Union River Watershed Coalition. For more information, visit the Lamoine Town Hall , Conservation Commission board.
Nancy Pochan asked if anyone was concerned about the number of areas in the town where trees are being cut. Often tree-cutting is done when cash is needed.
Bob Pulver suggests we get an update from Bangor Hydro on the proposed new line.
5. Trash Issues.
6. No Long Range Planning Committee report as Fred S. was absent.
7. No Planning Board report available. LCC members will attend PB meetings: Lynda TW in February, Carol K. in March, Bob P. in April.
8. Planning for February and March meetings. Georgia Munsell requested to meet with LCC in February to discuss road cleanup. After discussion, decided to postpone to March plans for the Lamoine Historical Society to speak.
The meeting adjourned at 8:33 .
Respectfully submitted by Lynda Tadema-Wielandt, Secretary.
Reviewed and accepted with minor revisions by the Lamoine Conservation Commission on February 8, 2006, by a vote of 3 to 0.
Fred Stocking, Chair