Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Town Hall
Fire Department


Minutes of the Meeting

February 8, 2006

The meeting was called to order at 7:07 PM .

1.  Review of Agenda – No changes.


2. Consideration of Minutes – minutes for January 11 meeting were read, moved and seconded to accept as corrected. The vote was 3 to 0.

3. Preparations for Roadside Clean-Up 2006 (Georgia Munsell). Georgia presented results of the last two clean-ups, and asked for feedback for this year's effort. Decided:

  1. The next clean-up will be held on May 13, rain or shine and will start at 8:30 a.m.
  2. We had 25 volunteers last year. Hope to get boy and girl scouts and their leaders involved this year.
  3. 25lb bags will be provided. No pick-up pokers will be made available. Folks can provide their own if they so wish.
  4. Signs will be strategically placed to keep traffic from going too fast.
  5. We need a volunteer to drive around to distribute additional trash bags and water. If interested, call 667-3965.
  6. Fred Stocking will provide bottles of water again this year and will pick up items for the clean-up from the DOT.
  7. Advertising will be in Ellsworth American, Lamoine Quarterly, posters, Town web site, and announcements at school.
  8. We will give Stu the list of volunteers so they will receive thanks online.

Georgia was thanked by the Commission for her enthusiasm and dedication.

A suggestion to “adopt a highway” was made where individuals or businesses take portions of a road and maintain it for a certain period of time. Although considered a very good idea, the Conservation Commission does not have the resources to pursue it.

Another suggestion was to propose to the Selectmen installing “Do Not Litter” signs. Decided that before it is presented to the Selectmen, more research should be done regarding feasibility. Lynda TW will look into it.

4. Freshwater Initiative Water Testing/School Project Update (Carol/Bob)

Bob reported that Healthy Acadia had approved our grant request giving us $950 rather than $895 asked for.

Bob provided Summary Notes (attached) from the teacher training meeting on February 3. Teachers from Ellsworth and Lamoine and their students will do well water testing with the help of John Peckenham and Teresa Thornton of The Mitchell Center, UMaine, Orono.

It was a successful meeting, with many ideas on process and scope being discussed, including videotaping the testing and acquiring a GPS. A March 16 meeting will finalize plans and determine when testing will begin. Carol K. will prepare a letter of consent for parents regarding the testing. It will be sent to the principal and teachers involved asking for their input. Upon discussion, decided that letter ought to be on school letterhead with the teachers involved signing it. Bob P. will be point man for questions. Bob and Carol will prepare a press release for the Ellsworth American and Bangor Daily News.

Fred S. suggested processes to Bob P. for getting bills paid from the grant. Bob was commended on his Task List, which clearly states steps involved and who is responsible for each.

A letter will be sent to gravel pit owners for approval to install a monitoring device in three gravel pits. Carol has contacted Paul MacQuinn and Doug and Tim Gott. Paul has given verbal approval and Carol will follow up. Letters will include a place for recipient's signature agreeing to content with an SASE. She will ask Tom Spruce for assistance.

A letter will be sent to bedrock well owners in Ellsworth (7) and Lamoine (14) requesting permission to test their wells.

A letter was sent to Jay Fowler by Carol K. explaining the purpose for placing water level loggers in the deepest gravel pits along the aquifer.

5. Listening to the concerns of those attending. Fred S. received spreadsheets from volunteer Bruce Gillette with data collected from the well survey responses that residents in Lamoine, Hancock, and Ellsworth returned during Phase I of the Freshwater Initiative. 

A conference in Boston on March 18 about Safe and Environmentally Sustainable Communities.

Brooke Childrey, who attended the recent meeting LCC set up with Bangor Hydro, has sold her land to a Massachusetts holding company, which then sold it to Bangor Hydro.

6. Planning Board and Selectfolk Concerns. The Planning Board will give residents an update on the Shoreland Zoning Ordinances and a schedule of informational meetings at the March 8 town meeting.

7. Trash Issues—Next Steps

  1. Identification of Critical Information re: Coastal Recycling pricing – The task of analyzing the cost of doing anything differently from what we're doing now requires skills that no one on the Commission seems to have. Based on this assessment, Nancy Pochan suggested we focus on improving the recycling efforts of the town. Fred and Ken Smith will get together to discuss a plan for our solid waste.
  2. Contact with Acadia Disposal District ( Nancy ) – Determined to be premature to pursue at this time.

8. Long Range Planning Committee - Report of Conservation Responses – Fred provided his Report on Fall 2005 Survey Results (attached). Based on results, he suggests we revisit the Open Space concerns. Options: put money in bank to buy land; get people to donate or sell to a land trust; or grant easements to the town or a land trust, all for the benefit of the public. Nancy P. suggested a “land acquisition” format where anyone can put money into a fund to purchase land.

9. Planning for March and April Meetings –Topics of interest and possible speakers: Talk about little-known, lovely areas of Lamoine; Union River Watershed update; Bar Harbor Conservation Commission talk of limiting one-acre lots with septic systems; Frenchman Bay Conservancy activities.

10. Adjourned 9:02 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Lynda Tadema-Wielandt, Secretary.

Reviewed and accepted with minor revisions by the Lamoine Conservation Commission on March 15, 2006, by a vote of 5 to 0.

Fred Stocking, Chair