Members Present: David Legere, Carol Korty, Larry Libby, Anne LaBossiere
Absent Member: Bob Pulver, Chair
Alternates: Nancy Pochan, Doug Stewart
Others in Attendance: Iris Simon, Shaun Donovan, Chris Donovan, David Schick, Annie Crisafulli, Ken Smith, Sally Smith, John Holt, Robin Emery, Diane Sanderson
Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Acting Chm. Korty @7:02 pm.
Topics Discussed until 8:30 while guests were in attendance:
- There was an informal report from invited guests re: existing trails in Lamoine. Each speaker used a colored marker to trace approximately where their trail was located on a street map of Lamoine. These will be used at a later date by the commission or its designees to acquaint the public with trail locations.
Iris Simon spoke of the Simon Trail and distributed a trail map. David Schick provided background information re: the development and maintenance of this trail.
Shaun Donovan and Diane Sanderson described the brochure they have been working on to inform the public of safety measures and tips on being a respectful user of the waters and shorelines. Shaun plans to return the info re: his Frenchman Bay Salt Water Discovery Trail to the internet in the near future for public access.
Ken Smith talked about the Snowmobile Club's trails and the Coleman Mixed Woods Trail and gave us a map of the latter. He will be getting the LCC a snowmobile trail map.
John Holt and Robin Emery shared information about some of Lamoine's trails and the need to obtain landowner permission to access some of them.
Chris Donovan provided information about the trail system at Lamoine State Park.
- Strategies for establishing a Trails Committee were discussed. It was suggested that perhaps the LCC could serve as the core group that a trails committee could spin off from. No action was taken.
- Suggestions for a community session in August included walking a trail and eating a picnic supper together on Aug. 8th with a raindate of Aug. 15 th . Two trails were mentioned: The Track Trail which starts at Forest Hills Cemetery and ends on Miro Hill. The other option was the Simon Trail . It was decided to do the Track Trail if necessary permissions were obtained
Topics Discussed from 8:30 to adjournment after guests had left:
- The minutes of the June 13th meeting were read.
- David Legere reported on some of the highlights of the July 2 planning board meeting that he attended.
- Nancy Pochan will attend the Aug. 7th meeting of the planning board.
- There was no update on open space and no date will be picked until consulting with Fred Stocking.
- Nancy reported that Linda Penkalski is willing to do an evening re: the night sky for the public in Sept.
- We talked more about the Community Trail Walk and decided to do publicity via posters distributed in the community.
- Carol passed out materials from the Food and Water Watch, a Portland based organization.
Motions and Outcomes:
- The minutes were approved.
Follow-up Actions and Who Will Do Them:
- Annie Crisafulli will contact Georgianna Pulver re: her willingness to do a poster re: Aug. 8 th community trail walk. Annie and Nancy will provide Georgianna with the specifics to include on the poster.
- Carol will consult with the representatives of the group, people connected with the Track Trail: David Hodgkins, John Holt (Mary Ann Orzel's brother) and Ralph Miro; Linwood Brann, Marion and Peter McDevitt and Alice Upton for the Forest Hills Cemetery .
- The commissioners will read the materials re: Food and Water Watch and be ready to discuss the group's request for LCC to be their contact in this part of Maine .
- Larry will contact Fred Stocking to see if we should have a work session on open space prior to our Sept. 12 th meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:02 p.m.
Minutes taken by Anne LaBossiere, Secretary and approved on ____________.