Members present: Bob Pulver, Chair; David Legere, Carol Korty, Larry Libby, Anne LaBossiere
Alternates present: Nancy Pochan, Doug Stewart
Associate member of LCC present: Annie Crisafulli
Others in Attendance: Dr. Willem Brutsaert, Jay Fowler
Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Chairman Pulver @ 7:04 p.m.
- Review of Minutes
- Planning Board and Selectmen Concerns: None
- Future Direction of LCC
- Blunts Pond: Monitoring of its depth and water quality. Input given by Willem Brutsaert and Jay Fowler.
- Eel Grass: Project driven by Dr. Jane Disney.
- Ocean clean-up
- Gravel pit resoration : Jay Fowler outlined present requirements .
- Larry Libby's idea re : ascertaining value of Lamoine's resources
- Reactivating the Friends of Lamoine Conservation group
- GET WET! follow-up
- Archive System
- Trails Committee
- Election: Bob Pulver is giving strong consideration to stepping down as chair and moving into continuing with LCC as an associate member.
- Other: Possible shoreline clean-up in June
Follow-up Actions and Who Will Do Them:
- Review of minutes: The minutes of March 6 were approved.
- Planning Board and Selectmen Concerns: No action needed.
- Future Direction of LCC
- Blunts Pond: The pond is state owned. Jay Fowler said that the pond used to be the water source for many residences until fairly recently and that the state should have ample information on the pond. David will contact DEP to explain our interest and ask for information that would be pertinent for any future involvement, if any, with this area by LCC.
- EEL Grass: LCC will continue its involvement with this project.
- Ocean clean-up: LCC will refresh the “Bag It Project.”
- Gravel Pit Restoration: Lamoine has a plan in place that involves the code enforcement officer's and the planning board's doing a site inspection every three years before the permit is renewed for further extraction of gravel. Jay Fowler explained that the requirement is to “Do what was natural to the area prior to the extraction.”
- Larry Libby's idea re: value of Lamoine's resources: Larry will contact Todd Gabe @ Univ. of Maine to obtain info that would assist in the gathering information to estimate the direct and indirect economic value of Lamoine's coastal resources directly related to the ocean and coastal areas of the town. Perhaps this data would assist in the involvement of the Maine Community Foundation. David Legere mentioned that the cruise ship lines might also be tapped for assistance with this project.
- Friends of Lamoine Conservation group: No action taken at this point except for talking of the interest of some local residents in having this happen.
- GET WET ! Follow-up: John Peckenham will come back to the Lamoine Consolidated School to work with students re: the results of their water testing. Bob Pulver will help coordinate this.
- Archive System: Bob Pulver will contact Catherine deTuede and Anne Stocking to get the ball rolling on setting up the initial committee meeting.
- Trails Committee: Nancy Pochan discussed the possibility of LCC assisting with the addition of a parking lot for Simon's Trail. No definite action taken.
- Election of new LCC chair: To be further discussed and acted upon at our May meeting. Bob announced he would not seek reappointment when his term expires in June.
- Other: We will use some of our May meeting time to plan a Lamoine shoreline clean-up in June.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
inutes taken by Anne LaBossiere, Secretary and approved on ________________