Members Present: Larry Libby, Chair; Carol Korty and Anne LaBossiere
Absent Member: David Legere
Alternates Present: Nancy Pochan and Doug Stewart
Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Chairman Libby at 7:00 pm.
- Minutes of June 12th meeting
- Planning Board and Selectmen Concerns-None
- Archives -Good progress being made. Carol Korty mentioned the importance of keeping the records re: the path leading to the formation of GET WET and its key role in keeping the availability of fresh water a priority for the town. The minutes of LCC meetings back to 2002 are available on the town's website. Larry reviewed the typed minutes in files from Bob Pulver, identified any gaps in the town records back to 2002, and took those missing minutes to the town office to provide a complete record of past meetings as a part of the LCC archives.
- Hiking Trails -A revision of Hiking Trails of Lamoine, written by David Legere, has been submitted for inclusion on the town website to give residents and visitors an idea of where to hike.
- Economics of the Sea for Lamoine -Discussion about where LCC should go from here in response to distributing the information obtained from Todd Gabe and Caroline Noblet, University of Maine School of Economics.
- Blunts Pond -David Legere not present to give us updates on his efforts to connect with someone at the DEP who could provide any information re: any drains that were supposedly installed in Blunt Pond some years back.
- Eel Grass -Larry reported on the meeting that he and Bob Pulver attended with Jane Disney. None of the planted eel grass came up so the project is on hold until some answers can be obtained as to the cause of this failure.
- Anne LaBossiere shared insights and materials from her attendance at the June 27 Hancock County Planning Commission Workshop and the July 2 nd meeting of the Planning Board.
- The following upcoming meetings were mentioned: August 6 th meeting of the planning board;Aug. 9 th Human and Environmental Sustainability, Aug. 16 th Friends of Taunton Bay.
- Carol Korty mentioned an Aug. 8 th lecture by ocean advocate and Plastic Pollution Coalition Advisor, Anne Luskey. She will present “Confronting Plastics and Microplastics in the Sea.” The lecture is part of a series being held at the Center for Marine Studies, 55 Main St. , Blue Hill. Maine Environmental Research Institute is the sponsoring group for these lectures which begin at 6 p.m. following a 5:30 reception for the speaker. Lectures are free and open to the public.
- Lamoine Transfer Station-There is often an overflow of the containers used for the recycling of corrugated cardboard. Getting people to properly deposit corrugated cardboard, light cardboard and office paper in the right containers continues to be a bit of an issue, too. It was also mentioned that non-residents of Lamoine may be using our transfer station. We were happy to learn that LCC will be receiving the money obtained from the bottle/can deposits redeemed from those left at the transfer station during the month of December.
- Invitation from Steve MacDonald, District Forester for Maine Forest Service to present a workshop for the public on how to effectively manage woodlands.
- LCC logo-Nancy Pochan suggested that we might have a contest to come up with a logo.
- Carol Korty proposed that we develop a LCC timeline/calendar for when we need to attend to things such as submitting articles for the Lamoine Quarterly, selection of recipient for LCC Award, etc.
Motions and Outcomes:
The minutes of the June 12 th meeting were approved as distributed.
Follow-up Actions and Who Will Do Them:
- The Archive Committee will meet again on July 12th to wrap up what would be conserved for the LCC. Remaining questions include how to organize and access the archival contents. What should be done with books, CD's and pamphlets.
- Hiking Trails -Larry Libby will follow up with Jim Norris to see about adding his name as a resource. We will pursue avenues of raising the public's awareness of these trails. Nancy Pochan will contact Iris and Jerry Simon re: where do we go from here in terms of making their trail more “public friendly. Should we form a Trail's Committee?
- Economics of the Sea -Larry Libby will contact Gabe and Noblet from the Univ. of Maine School of Economics to see where we might go from here to follow-up on the report they have provided. Questions raised included how do we protect the ocean resources of Lamoine and how might we obtain the financial support to continue this project. Perhaps the work we do might serve as a prototype or template for other coastal towns.
- Blunts Pond -Dave Legere will update us at our next meeting.
- Attendance at Meetings : Carol Korty will attend the Aug. 6th Planning Board. Larry Libby will attend the Aug. 16th meeting of the Friends of Taunton Bay.
- Transfer Station- Larry Libby will touch base with Stu re: the areas mentioned.
- Larry Libby will contact Steve MacDonald, District Forester, to attend our Sept. 11th meeting.
- We will begin to create the LCC timeline/calendar at our next meeting.
- LCC will not meet in August. Residents are encouraged to provide us with some feedback on some of the ways they have taken advantage of Lamoine's open spaces and access to our shores.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:48 pm.
Minutes taken by Anne LaBossiere, Secretary and approved on______________.