Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Town Hall
Fire Department
Newly Added

Lamoine Conservation Commission

Minutes - July 8, 2015 (draft - subject to correction)

Members present: Larry Libby, chair;Anne LaBossiere, Linda Penkalski, Doug Stewart

Alternate present: Larissa Thomas 

Alternate absent: Nancy Pochan

Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Chairman Libby at 7:07 p.m.

No comments from Planning Board/Select Board

Topics discussed:

  1. Commission Membership-Larry reported that David Legere had asked not to be re-appointed to the commission. He was interested in being appointed as a member of the planning board. That did not happen. Stu asked David if he would like to reconsider leaving LCC given what the planning board did.  No information has been received re: his response to that possibility.
  1. Help with Electronic Waste Pick-up, July 11th-Doug Stewart and Larry Libby will be there from 8:00 a.m. To 1:00 p.m. Linda Penkalski will be there from 11:00 a.m. on.
  1. Request from Fred Stocking on Lamoine Conservation Commission's response to climate change-There was discussion about the information furnished by Larissa to Fred.
  1. Possible event at Blunts Pond in August-Doug and Megan Facciolo have been in contact re: her pending follow-up on her earlier visit to the pond and also on the Family Fun Day. Megan will be out of town on the August date under discussion and suggested that her assistant could stand in for her. Doug is recommending that this event be deferred to mid-September of 2016 when Megan could be present. Some of the activities of the day would include learning about the nature of the pond's vegetation and inhabitants, enjoying nature walks on the trails and a cookout as a finale. Doug also suggested that it would be good to involve the Lamoine Historical Society in setting up an informational table about the ice harvesting that was done at the pond and other historical components that would be of interest to the public. All agreed with Doug's recommendations.
  1. Select a picture for gift cups-These will be used to give to guest speakers at our public programs. Those present decided on the “Boulder on the Beach” photo.
  1. Possible Strategic Planning Session in fall-There was support for this on the part of the commission. Contact with Stu will be done to provide us with direction.
  1. Ideas for public meeting in fall-Our October meeting would be on the 14th. Possibly, we would be able to have a public program then regarding the geology of the Lamoine area.
  1. Other-Larry distributed copies of some of John Peckenham's work to see if any of us were interested in having copies. The best way to get information re: John's work would be to put this information into a technical report for dissemination.

            Larry said that we had met the match required for the grant money received for our Simon WoodsTrail project. A suggestion was made to have Iris Simon add information  to the trail map re: the name of the group that gave us the grant . If we need to have a small sign on site with this info, Iris has figured out that it could be attached to the post holding the mail box which houses the trail maps.

 Motions and Outcomes:

 The minutes of the May 13, 2015 meeting were approved as distributed.

Follow-up actions and who will do them:

  1. Larry will check with David Legere re: his plans concerning accepting Stu's offer to appoint him as an alternate member of the conservation commission.
  1. If David isn't interested in being on the board in any capacity, Larry will recommend that Larissa be moved from alternate to regular member. We would then need to obtain a new alternate.
  1. Larissa will re-send the list of LCC's response to climate change to Fred Stocking.
  1. Larry will check with Georgiana Pulver about finding the original of the “Boulder on the Beach” that could be used as the picture on the mug.
  1. Larry will e-mail Stu our thoughts re: doing some strategic planning for the LCC. We all have copies of An Ordinance to Establish The Lamoine Conservation Commission.  Review of that would most likely be a part of this strategic planning .
  1. Larry will contact Hal Borns to see about his availability to present information re: the geology of the area at our fall public meeting on October 14.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:25 p.m.

Minutes taken by Anne LaBossiere and approved on________________