Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Conservation Commission Minutes
October 14, 2015 (Draft, subject to correction)
Members present: Larry Libby, chair; Anne LaBossiere, Linda Penkalski, Doug Stewart, Larissa Thomas
Alternate member present: Nancy Pochan
Others in attendance: Carol Korty, Willem Brutsaert and several members of the Lamoine Comprehensive Plan Committee (Kathryn Gaianguest, Fred Stocking, Bob Christie, Andrea Ames, Michael Jordan, Valerie Sprague, Richard McMullen)
Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Chairman Libby at 7:04 p.m.
1. Comments from planning board/select board-None
2. Approval of minutes for August 12, 2015
3. Input for Comprehensive Plan Committee members-Fred Stocking introduced the members present and turned the next steps over to Kathy Gaianguest and Valerie Sprague. Kathy explained that the committee had chosen to meet with as many groups in town as possible. We provided information re: our strategic planning session held on Sept. 9, 2015. There was some discussion about the existing Ordinance to establish a conservation commission in Lamoine. Fred Stocking shared that it was decided at the time this ordinance was enacted to keep the LCC out of the permitting process. We will be providing the CPC with our recommendations as to what we would recommend be included in the comprehensive plan. There were lots of good suggestions that we will be looking at more closely at our December meeting.
4. Preparations for November 10th public meeting on climate change @ 7:00 p.m. At the Lamoine School. The speaker will be Dr. George Jacobson, professor emeritus of biology,ecology, and climate change, University of Maine. Jacobson was Maine State Climatologist 2008-2014.
a. LCC Conservation Award, 2016....We have received some nominations
b. Seeking an alternate member...We are getting some names.
c. Follow-up on “Setting a Strategic Direction....” Read the materials, make notes.
d. Willem Brutsaert gave us a document to read and discuss at our December meeting.
Motions and Outcomes:
The minutes of the August 12, 2015 meeting were approved as distributed.
Follow-up actions and who will do them
1. Follow-up on “Setting a Strategic Direction..” All will read the info prior to the Dec. meeting.
2. Info for the Comprehensive Plan...Larissa Thomas will create a draft with some initial “seed ideas” for our review prior to discussion. Recommendations generated by this process will be shared with the Comprehensive Plan Committee for possible inclusion in the plan.
3. November 10th Public Meeting on Climate Change... Informational posters will be placed in strategic places in Lamoine/Ellsworth area. Linda will submit an article to the Ellsworth American and send posters via e-mail to some nearby Hancock County town offices. We will provide our usual refreshments. Doug will bring the coffee pot, cream, milk, sugar. Larissa will bring tea bags. Larry will bring our cup collection. He will also bring one of the new LCC mugs for Dr. Jacobson. Anne and Linda will bring cookies.
4. Attending the monthly planning board meetings... Anne will attend the November 2nd meeting. Larry will let John Holt know of our intent to have an LCC member attend their monthly meetings. This will be a way to update the planning board on LCC activities.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m.
Minutes taken by _______________________________and approved on______________.