Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Home
Town Hall
School
Fire Department
Boards
Calendars
Newly Added

Conservation Commission

Minutes - November 9, 2016

Members present: Larry Libby, Chair; Anne LaBossiere, Larissa Thomas

Absent Members: Linda Penkalski, Doug Stewart

Alternates: Jeff Cosulich, Mike Jordan

Others in Attendance: David Legere

Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Chairman Libby at 7:00 p.m.

Topics Discussed:

Comments from Planning Board/Select Board: John Holt recently told Larry Libby that there is no need for a representative from LCC to attend planning board meetings on a regular basis as we had sometimes done in previous years.

Approval of October 12 Minutes

Reminder of Maine's Freedom of Access Act: Larry distributed a copy of information from Stu re:  “e-mail discussion between members of a public board is permitted with some strong caveats.” This information sheet on the section regarding e-mail communications from the State of Maine's Freedom of Access Act (FOAA) Frequently Asked Questions page will be kept as a resource and reminder as we do our work on the LCC.

Update on recommended changes to LCC Ordinance: According to Larry, John Holt has no concerns with this information shared with him. Mike Jordan mentioned that these changes had been shared with the Select Board who will then pass the ordinance on to the planning board.

Update on Shore Access Committee: Larry provided us with a progress report from this committee chaired by Kathleen Rybarz. Kathleen is preparing a flyer to inform Lamoine residents about the committee. It also invites people to inform town officials of land that might be donated or purchased by the town to provide more shore access for worming, clamming and recreating. Jeff Cosulich has put together a website to get the word out to the public about all of the aforementioned and possibly link to Survey Monkey for a survey about their preferences for Lamoine shore access. Flyers will be mailed to all residents of Lamoine and will reference the website. The committee has already looked at one parcel off Shore Road. Obtaining shore access might be accomplished by the owner/s selling, donating, granting an easement of land to the town. The committee is most interested, at the moment, in land that is off the Jordan River Road. Two more meetings have been scheduled.

Public meeting on recycling and composting in March? Doug Stewart had provided three dates that would work for the presenter. We chose March 22nd with April 12th serving as a snow date.

Reusable bags logo contest: So far, two students have entered this contest. Deadline for entering is Dec. 9th. Larissa mentioned that it might be helpful to ask local artist, Elizabeth McMillen to assist us in the selection process and we all agreed that we would appreciate that.

Great Pond Land Trust contacted Iris Simon about having access to the Tree ID Information that  LCC developed with Chris James for use by Lamoine School fifth graders on the Simon Woods Trail in early September. Larissa will be sharing this information packet with them.

Bog Bridging on Simon Woods Trail: David Legere said he had come to tonight's meeting to follow-up on plans to complete the bog bridging using the materials delivered a few years ago for that purpose. There was discussion about why that had not been done. David is concerned about the possibility of the bridging materials rotting in their unused state. David  also mentioned that he, John Holt and Steve Gabel-Richards would be willing to help with the bridging. Larissa suggested that this might be a good time to work on some trail clean-up.

Shoreline Clean-up: David Legere asked how this had gone. We filled him in on that. Larissa Thomas and Jeff Cosulich had each led efforts to clean specific sections of Lamoine's shoreline.

2017 Conservation Award: We turned the sound off on the recording system to be able to discuss possible nominees. Stu posted the “call” on the town's website for names of people that others would like to nominate for consideration for this recognition. People are asked to get this in by Dec.1. 

Motions and Outcomes: It was moved, seconded and passed to approve the minutes of the October 12th LCC meeting.

Follow-up actions and who will do them:

LCC Ordinance: LCC will follow up with Stu re: next steps re: our recommendations re: changes.

Public meeting on recycling and composting: Larry Libby will ask Doug Stewart to notify Mark King, presenter for the public meeting, that we have chosen March 22nd as our date for the  meeting with April 12th as our snow date.

Reusable bags logo contest: Larissa will contact a local artist, Elizabeth McMillen, to attend the Dec. 14th meeting to participate in the process of selecting the winning entry.

Bog Bridging on Simon Woods Trail: Larry will contact Iris and Jerry Simon to share David Legere's recommendations and get their input on this.

Sharing the Tree ID Packet with Great Pond Land Trust: Larissa will be doing this.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:40 p.m.

Minutes taken by Anne LaBossiere and approved on ______________________.