Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Home
Town Hall
School
Fire Department
Boards
Calendars
Newly Added

Conservation Commission

Minutes - July 12, 2017

 

Members Present:  Larissa Thomas, chair,  Linda Penkalski,  Doug Stewart,  Kerry Diskin

 

Alternate members present:  none

 

Member absent:  Jeff Cosulich

 

Alternate member absent:  Mike Jordan

 

Others in attendance:  Diane Nicholls

 

Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Chairman Thomas at 7:04 PM.

 

Topics discussed:

 

1.  Approval of the June 22, 2017 minutes.

 

2.   Welcome:  We welcomed Kerry Diskin, new LCC member,  and acknowledged Jeff Cosulich’s transition from alternate to member.  Diane Nicholls has submitted her name to be approved by the Select Board as an alternate member. 

 

3.   Suggestions for the Lamoine 150 events:  The celebration starts in 2019 and continues into 2020.  Larissa has a local friend who can talk about the prehistory  of Lamoine.  Larissa will inquire what help they suggested we could give with maps.

 

4.   No comments from the Planning/Select Boards.

 

5.   Maine Coastweek-  September 16-23:    Volunteers are needed.  Larissa will organize one group.  Diane will organize another group of volunteers with kayaks who can go on the Skillings River.  Groups need to tabulate what is collected and take photographs.  Larissa will contact them to get bags,  etc.  Recycle the #2 plastics and bring the bags to the transfer station.  It is a good idea to go around the low tide.

 

6.   Simon Trail tree ID program 2017:    Tracy Willis is teaching the fifth grade students again this year.  Right now there are 7 students.  The walk will be Monday,  September 11th with a rain date of Monday,  September 18th.  The time needs to be determined,  but last year it was 12:30-2:30 PM.  Larry Libby,  Anne LaBossiere, Linda Penkalski and Iris Simon have volunteered to lead the students.  Other LCC members are welcome to participate.

 

7.   GET WET! funding possibilities:  Linda contacted Maine Community Foundation and Healthy Acadia in the Spring and will contact them again this summer about the Hancock County Fund.  Larissa suggested two other sources Linda will look into.  Kerry suggested looking at Donorschoose.org.  We could put out a request for donations in the Lamoine Quarterly.  The company, HACH,  manufacturers the pH and conductivity meters and the water quality tests, and Linda will have a budget for the August meeting.

 

8.   Aaron Dority, Frenchman Bay Conservancy, talk September 13, 2017:  It was decided that the Lamoine School is a better venue for our public talks.  We need to make sure we can get the talks taped for viewing.  Larissa will contact Aaron for a title, synopsis and biography and then she will make a flyer.  The article needs to be in the September 7th Ellsworth American and  submitted on August 30th to the paper.

 

9.   November pubic talk:  Kathleen Rybarz suggested a speaker on the Rusty Patch Bumblebee.  He is Francis Drummond of the University of Maine.  Larissa will see if he is available on Wednesday,  November 8, 2017.  Bring any other ideas for speakers to future meetings.

 

10.  Comprehensive Plan:  There is a working session at 4 PM on July 13, 2017 and Larissa will attend.

 

11.  Future Initiatives:  Ideas for the future.

A.  Doug is still wondering how to get the information out about the composting cages.  Doug will write an article for the October Lamoine Quarterly with the price, etc.  He will include photos.

B.  Diane will contact Chris James, Lamoine School, to see if they are interested in starting a school garden along with a hoop house and composting site.

C.  Energy conservation

D.  Energy audit of town buildings that can save money for townspeople.

E.  Community solar farm.

F.  Water quality at Blunt’s Pond and the oceanfront.  What is being done now?

G.  Blunt’s Pond- learning about invasive species and what can be done.  This could be in connection with a Blunt’s Pond Family Day.

H.  Erosion control and shoreline stabilization.

I.    Bobolink Habitat Awareness.  In some areas they are haying the fields too soon and the bobolinks have not fledged their nests.  They fledge in mid-July.  They are becoming an endangered species.  Diane will write an article for the October Lamoine Quarterly.

J.   Larissa will contact Lamoine School to reserve the whale room for September 13th.

 

Motions and Outcomes:

 

1.   The minutes of the June 22, 2017 meeting were approve as distributed.

 

Follow up actions and who will do them:

 

1.   Larissa will ask the Lamoine 150 committee what they meant about getting help with maps.

 

2.   Larissa will contact the Maine Coastweek folks to get bags,  etc.

 

3.   Linda will contact Maine Community Foundation and Healthy Acadia about the Hancock County Fund for money for GET WET! supplies.

 

4.   Linda will look into Donorschoose.org to see if we can use it for funding for GET WET!  This can be announced in the October Lamoine Quarterly for donations.

 

5.   Linda will finalize the budget for GET WET! for the August LCC meeting.

 

6.   Larissa will contact Aaron Dority for a title, synopsis and biography  for his September 13, 2017 talk.

 

7.   Larissa will contact Stu about getting the September 13, 2017 talk taped.

 

8.   Larissa will contact Francis Drummond about a November 8, 2017 talk.

 

9.   Doug will write an article about the composting cages for the October Lamoine Quarterly.

 

10.  Diane will contact Chris James to see if there is  school interest in a school garden,  hoop house and composting site.

 

11.  Diane will write an article for the October Lamoine Quarterly about Bobolink Habitat Awareness.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:16 PM.

 

Minutes taken by __________________________________  and approved on             

___________________________________.