Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Minutes, June 13, 2018 (Draft, subject to correction)
Members Present: Larissa Thomas, chair; Linda Penkalski, Kerry Diskin,
Doug Stewart, Jeff Cosulich
Alternate Members Present: Michael Jordan
Alternate Members Absent: Diane Nicholls
Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Chairman Thomas at 7:00PM.
1. Approval of the May 10, 2018 minutes.
Anne Krieg of the Hancock County
Planning Commission was to have attended this June meeting, but due to a
scheduling conflict, she was unable to join us. She has committed to attend the
July meeting on
3. Electronics recycling event: Was a huge success. Electronics End (the outfit collecting the recycled goods) hauled off a trailer full of equipment as well as a box truck filled to the brim. The generous donations received - $184.50 - more than covered the cost of the event. It was decided to hold a similar event in 2 years
4. Recycling bins: 16 bins were ordered and have been picked up in Portland by StuMarckoon. They are currently available at the Town Hall for those who pre-ordered. No further orders will be accepted.
5. GetWet! Grant Award: Linda notified the commission that the Maine Community Foundation awarded us a grant for $1,710, the full requested amount in our proposal. As a result of this grant, the LCC will be able to purchase the following materials & supplies for the GetWet! Program :
---Conductivity Testers (andpH Buffer Solution)
---Nitrate Test Strips
--- Iron Test Strips
---Chlorine Test Kits
---Hardness CaCO3 Tests
--- Secchi Disks
--- Sample Bottles
--- Gloves – Goggles – Batteries
While the grant requires that all the funds be utilized for acceptable expenditures within a 12 month period, an extension can be requested if necessary. On-site testing of Blunts Pond will begin towards the beginning of the next school year, perhaps in September, pending schedule coordination with Chris James, science educator at Lamoine Consolidated School.
Blunts Pond Event:
--- Lamoine Historical Society will have an exhibit on ice harvesting
--- a guided trail hike
--- a scavenger hunt to be created by LCC member Larissa Thomas
--- an invasive plant species talk
--- water testing
---Frenchman Bay Conservancy will present information
--- refreshments provided by LCC
Larissa will produce a flyer to be
7. Marlboro Beach Celebration: is scheduled for Saturday June 23, 2018 at 2:00pm, with a rain date of a day later on Sunday June 24 at 2:00pm. There will be :
--- live music provided by Fletcher’s Landing Philharmonic
--- a dedication of the bench to honor Eleanor Norris
--- outdoor games and
--- a root beer float stand
--- and a clamming demonstration
Put it on your calendar and tell your friends and neighbors
8. Solar Power for Town’s Electricity Usage: .A representative from ReVision will discuss a proposal at the upcoming Select Board meeting on June 21, which Larissa will attend on behalf of the LCC.
Next Public Presentation:
The meeting was adjourned at 7:40 PM.
Minutes taken by ______Jeff Cosulich___________ and approved on ____________________________.