Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government

Conservation Commission

Minutes, July 11, 2018 (Draft, subject to correction)

 

Members Present:  Larissa Thomas, chair;  Linda Penkalski, Doug Stewart, Kerry Diskin

 

Absent Member:  Jeff Cosulich

 

Alternate members present:  Diane Nicolls, Michael Jordan

 

Others in Attendance:  Anne Krieg, Hancock County Planning Commission

 

Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Chairman Thomas at 7:02 PM.

 

Topics Discussed:

 

1.  Approval of the June 13, 2018 minutes.

 

2.  Anne Krieg, Hancock County Planning Commission:  Anne is the Regional Planner and explained to us some of the grants available.  Many of them we cannot apply for until the Lamoine Comprehensive Plan is completed and approved.  She showed us information about the Maine Flood Resilience Checklist, and can work with Lamoine to pursue a grant to support preparedness for existing and future flood hazards.  She referenced the work Dr. Tora Johnson (University of Maine, Machias) has conducted to model sea level rise and storm-related flood projections, which Dr. Johnson presented to us this past March, illustrating that there are parts of Lamoine that are vulnerable to flooding, particularly as storms are becoming more powerful.  Anne will contact Stu Marckoon to arrange a meeting including various town officials and board members with an interest or responsibility that touches on flood preparedness—the Town Clerk, the LCC, the Planning Board, Select Board, fire department, and Comprehensive Plan Committee. The meeting to work on the Maine Flood Resilience Checklist, with Anne as the facilitator, should take about two hours.  Anne will also contact Rick Taintor, consultant for the Comprehensive Plan Committee.  She mentioned a number of grant opportunities that could be of interest to us in Lamoine, and which can be applied for after the new Comprehensive Plan is approved. For example, there is a U.S. Rural Development Grant for community facilities like the community center that has received a great deal of support in the Comprehensive Plan process.  Anne noted that the Comprehensive Plan needs to reflect sought-after projects and programs for which we will seek grant funds in the future.  Anne receives funds to help us with grant writing.

3.  Blunts Pond coliform bacteria testing: Kerry used the kit provided by Stu and tested the water in the swimming area this morning.  She will know the results Friday morning and will let us know them.  Diane volunteered to help with future testing.  There is no set schedule now as to when the next testing will take place.

 

4.  Blunts Pond event:  Larissa created a flyer and gave it to the Lamoine School to post before school ended in June.  We will need about $100-150 for drinks and refreshments.  It is on Saturday, September 8, 2018 from 10 AM-2 PM.  There is no rain date planned.  We need to get information to Dawn McPhail, Principal, for the August 31st and September 7th school newsletters sent home to parents.  Larissa will write up a blurb for the Lamoine Quarterly and Ellsworth American.

 

5.  Marlboro Beach Event:  Frenchman Bay Conservancy (FBC) was happy with the turnout.  The remarks were complimentary to the Norrises. Folks liked the music, root beer floats, etc.

 

6.  Solar power for Town’s electricity usage:  Revision Energy made a presentation to the Select Board on June 21, 2018.  The discussion was about power purchase agreements.  A private investor would purchase the solar panels and inverter and the Town purchases the energy.  After six years the Town has the option to purchase the solar panels and inverter from the investor.  Over time there are substantial cost savings.  The Town buildings are the Town Hall, the Lamoine School, the salt/sand shed, the transfer station and the firehouse.  The Lamoine School roof has a south slope and is a good placement for the solar panels, except that Mike Jordan noted that a number of vents and other items pierce the roof on that side of the building, limiting the free space for panels.  The roof needs to be re-roofed at some point soon.  The LCC agrees that this is worth pursuing.  Larissa and Mike will attend the August 14th School Board meeting to speak with them.

 

7.  GET WET! Blunts Pond launch: Linda spoke with Chris James at the Lamoine School in June and we will aim for the third week of September with the sixth grade students.  Linda will order the materials from HACH this summer.  Kerry will get information to Linda about the Secchi Disks and thermometers.

 

8.  Simon Tree Walk: The walk is planned for September 10th with a rain date of September 17th.  The fifth grade teacher is Tiara Woods and Linda met and e-mailed her.  There are presently 10 students.  Iris Simon, Anne LaBossier, Linda, and Jeff volunteered to participate.  Diane can come on the rain date.  Larissa might be able to help out.  Iris and FBC staff will hang the numbers.  Iris will schedule a walk through before September 10th.

 

9.  Edible classroom: Diane will contact the staff again offer our help, but it is now in the hands of the Lamoine School Department.

 

10.  Schedule public presentation for the Fall:  We agreed that we will set aside October for a public presentation.

 

11.  Future initiatives: No future initiatives at this time.

 

Motions and Outcomes:

 

1.  The minutes of the June 13, 2018 meeting were approved as distributed.

 

 

 

Follow-up actions and who will do them:

 

1.   Larissa will contact Fred Stocking to make sure that language is in the Comprehensive Plan so we can apply for some of these grants in the future- hiking trails, a community center, etc.

 

2.  Larissa will send the Blunts Pond event flyer to Stu to post to the Town’s website.  She will post flyers at various locations.

 

3.  Larissa will organize the scavenger hunt for the Blunts Pond event.

 

4.  Larissa has volunteered to make wraps with Seal Cove goat cheese, etc. for the Blunts Pond event, and purchase other refreshments using LCC funds.

 

5.  Doug will speak with the Seal Cove farm folks to see if they want to participate in some way in the Blunts Pond event.

 

6.  Mike will speak with Lori and Timmy Jordan to see if they want to showcase their homemade jams at the Blunts Pond event.

 

7.  Doug will make parking and directional signs for the Blunts Pond event.

 

8.  Mike will talk with the snowmobile folks about available parking for the Blunts Pond event.

 

9.  Larissa will see Stu about a permit for the Blunts Pond event.

 

10.  Larissa will write up a press release for the Blunts Pond event for the September 6th Ellsworth American.  It must be submitted the week before by August 29th.

 

11.  Information about the Blunts Pond event should be submitted to Dawn McPhail by August 29th to be included in the Lamoine School newsletter.

 

12.  Larissa and Mike will attend the August 14th Lamoine School Board meeting to discuss the possibility of solar panels being placed on the school roof.

 

13.  Linda will put in an order to HACH for materials for the GET WET! program.

 

14.  Kerry will get information to Linda about the purchase of Secchi Disks and thermometers to be ordered for GET WET!

 

15.  Diane will contact Chris James one more time about the edible classroom and our ability to help in any way.

 

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:43 PM.

Minutes taken by _____________________________and approved on __________.