Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Minutes - May 10, 2018
Members Present: Larissa Thomas, chair; Linda Penkalski, Kerry Diskin
Alternate Members Present: Michael Jordan, Diane Nicholls
Members Absent: Doug Stewart, Jeff Cosulich
Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Chairman Thomas at 7:04PM.
1. Approval of the April 11, 2018 minutes.
2. GET WET! Grant proposal update: Linda spoke on the phone with Jane Donnell, a grant reader at Maine Community Foundation. Jane asked a few questions and was very positive about our Grant. We will hear in June if we will receive a Grant and how much. We received past GET WET! data from John Peckenham and Kerry produced a spreadsheet with all of the data he sent and this year’s data. It is now ready to post on the Town website. Kerry added introductory paragraphs about each test for everyone to understand what the tests are measuring. It is readable and usable.
3. Electronics recycling event: Everything is set for the June 2nd event. Larissa will get a $100 check from Stu to give to them on the morning of June 2nd. It takes place from 8 AM to noon at the transfer station.
4. Recycling bins: Ecomaine has recycling bins for sale for $7.50 each. We will take pre-orders and collect the money ahead of time. Larissa will generate a spreadsheet to track paid pre-orders and Stu will transport the bins from Portland. Pre-orders will be taken on the day of Electronics Recycling (June 2) at Transfer Station, and by email or phone call to Larissa Thomas.
5. Letter of support for Hancock County Planning Commission grant proposal for Jordan River Watershed Plan: Larissa drafted a letter of support and we approved it, including our participation in the future. Anna Krieg, Hancock County Planning Commission, will attend out June meeting.
6. Blunts Pond Event: Doug was absent so we will discuss this in June.
7. Marlboro Beach Celebration: It will be held at 2 PM on June 23, 2018. There will be a dedication of a bench to honor Eleanor Norris. There will be outdoor games, a scavenger hunt for kids. a root beer float stand, and a clamming demonstration. The rain date is June 23, 2018 at 2 PM. Folks are urged to come an hour early to help clean up the beach.
8. Electronic Documents: Send your electronic documents that could be useful to future LCC members to Larissa so she can send them to Stu for saving on the hard drive of the Town computer.
9. Ideas for next public presentation in the Fall: Revision Energy from Unity will be speaking with the Select Board on June 7th about the possibility of erecting solar panels in Lamoine to help pay for electricity for Town buildings. It was suggested that we arrange a public talk in the Fall with Revision Energy explaining the project and other solar possibilities. Another idea discussed was to invite someone from the Hancock County Planning Commission; after meeting with Anna Krieg next month, we may further consider this possibility.
10. Freedom of Access Law and e-mail communications: We cannot discuss new ideas via e-mail. We can follow up on something already decided at a meeting. New ideas have to go on our agenda. If something is time sensitive, we will have to have a special meeting to address them.
11. Other issues: Linda will e-mail Iris Simon about arranging the Fall Simon Trail Tree Walk for September 10, 2018. If that is a good date for Iris she will then e-mail the teachers to make sure that is a good date for them. There is a clean-up at the Simon Trail on May 20, 2018 at 9 AM. They need volunteers.
Motions and Outcomes:
1. The minutes of the April 11, 2018 meeting were approved as distributed.
Follow-up actions and who will do them:
1. Kerry will enter new GET WET! data in the future.
2. Larissa will get a $100 dollar check from Stu, after she sends him an invoice, to give to the electronic recycling company on June 2nd. She will drop off a box at Kerry’s house to accept donations.
3. Larissa will develop a form/flyer for folks to pre-order recycling bins.
4. Everyone should check their computers for electronic documents to be sent to Larissa.
5. Linda will e-mail Iris Simon and Lamoine Consolidated School teachers about the Fall Simon Trail Tree Walk.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:35 PM.