Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Minutes - January 10, 2018 (Draft, subject to correction)
Members Present: Larissa Thomas, chair; Jeff Cosulich, Kerry Diskin, Doug Stewart, Linda Penkalski
Alternate members present: Diane Nichols, Mike Jordan
Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Chairman Thomas at 7:00 PM.
1. Minutes from the December 13, 2017 meeting were approved.
2. GET WET! proposal update: Larissa, Kerry and Linda met at the Town Hall on January 8, 2017 to discuss applying for a Maine Community Foundation Community Grant due February 15, 2018. The draft proposal text will be presented to the Select Board at their January 18, 2018 meeting for their approval. We are asking for funds to support GET WET! and to expand the program to include testing of the water at Blunts Pond. GET WET! testing will take place this year at the end of February or beginning of March.
3. Lamoine School edible classroom garden update: Diane e-mailed Chris James and is waiting to hear back from him about the next steps.
4. Blunts Pond event: Doug e-mailed Zack Steele, Hancock County Soil and Water Conservation Commission, about the September, 2018 date but has not heard back from him yet.
5. Compost Bins: Doug’s article has been sent to Stu to go into the January, 2018 Lamoine Quarterly. Doug will write a small article including updated pricing for the April, 2018 Lamoine Quarterly to urge people to buy their compost bins in the Spring. They will be delivered to Lamoine from Thomaston.
6. March public talk: Tora Johnson, University of Maine Machias, will give a public talk on March 21, 2018 at 7 PM at the Lamoine School. She will speak about climate change and its effect on coastlines.
7. Future initiatives: none now.
8. Conservation Award: Discussion and decision on awardees took place.
9. Returnables: Bring your returnables to the transfer station in February as LCC will receive the money collected.
Motions and Outcomes:
1. The minutes of the December 13, 2017 were approved as distributed.
Follow-up actions and who will do them:
1. Linda, Kerry and Larissa will write the Maine Community Foundation Grant.
2. Doug will write a short article for the April, 2018 Lamoine Quarterly about purchasing compost bins.
3. Linda will contact Tora Johnson for a title for her talk, a short description and a Lamoine map for Larissa to use on the flyer.
4. We will all bring our returnables to the transfer station in February.
5. Larissa and Jeff will interview the nominees for the LCC Conservation Award and write up the statement to be read at the Town Meeting in March.
6. Doug will purchase frames for the statement and take the plate to the “etcher” to be etched.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:57 PM.
Minutes were taken by _______Linda Penkalski______________
and approved on _____________________________.