Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Conservation Commission Minutes
January 9, 2019 (Draft, subject to correction)
Members Present: Larissa Thomas, chair; Linda Penkalski, Doug Stewart, Kerry Diskin, Jeff Cosulich
Alternate members present: Mike Jordan, Diane Nicolls
Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Chairman Thomas at 7:02 PM.
1. Approval of the December 12, 2018 minutes.
2. Solar power for Town’s electricity usage: The Select Board has agreed to solicit proposals for the project. Larissa will attend the Select Board meeting on Thursday January 10 to follow up and respond to any other questions or concerns from the Board.
3. Shoreland zone violations / Update on K & T Rentals Issue: Larissa explained that at the previous Select Board meeting, a plan submitted by a forester hired by K & T Rentals claimed that there was no violation, counter to the finding of Lamoine’s Code Enforcement Officer (CEO).The K & T Rentals issue will be taken up by the Select Board at their January 10 meeting with the CEO and forester in attendance. Larissa will be attending the January 10 Select Board meeting to represent LCC concerns. Larissa sought input from LCC colleagues to understand perspectives shared by the Commission that could be articulated as the collective LCC view. The ensuing discussion reiterated LCC’s previous interest in ensuring that there are adequate consequences for violations of the town ordinances, and established the group’s conviction that the CEO’s decision should be not be set aside in favor of a third party’s opinion.
4. GET WET! Planning: This year’s program will be held on Thursday February 28, 2019 at 8:30am at Lamoine School gym. (We still need 1 or 2 additional volunteers to help out). Linda will be ordering some more equipment / supplies from the grant funding. We discussed the possibility of purchasing an additional materials, to be used during the testing, in anticipation of the expected increase in the school population.
5. Public Presentation by Madelyn Woods: Diane has been coordinating with Madelyn Woods, marine biologist, who works at the Shaw Institute in Blue Hill, as a Marine Research Coordinator. Her presentation on “Microplastics in the Gulf of Maine” will be on Wednesday March 13, 2019 at 7:00pm at the Lamoine School. Larissa will check with Iris Simon about putting a notice on the Frenchman Bay Conservancy’s website and newsletter regarding the presentation.
6.Lamoine Conservation Commission Award: The deadline for nominations has been extended by 1 month until our meeting in February. Larissa will ask Stu to announce the extension on the town website and the Facebook page
The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 PM.
Minutes were taken by ____Jeff Cosulich________ and approved on __________.