Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Conservation Commission Minutes
June 12, 2019
Members present: Larissa Thomas, chair; Linda Penkalski, Kerry Diskin, Jeff Cosulich, Doug Stewart
Alternate members present: Mike Jordan, Diane Nicholls
Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Chairman Thomas at 7:02 PM.
1. Approval of the May 8, 2019 minutes.
2. Blunts Pond Property, donation to the Town of Lamoine: At the School Budget and special Town Meeting on May 15, 2019 a warrant was submitted for the Town of Lamoine to vote on June 11, 2019 as to whether to accept the Blunts Pond property. The Town did vote on June 11, 2019 to accept the property.
3. Commercial Solar Farm on the old town landfill: An Advisory vote by the Town took place on June 11, 2019 and the Town voted overwhelmingly to pursue the commercial solar farm on the old town landfill. The RFP’s will be issued soon.
4. Guest Speaker from the DMR: Mike scheduled the speakers for July 10, 2019 at 6 PM. The speakers are Michael Risoldi and Katherine Barvenik. They will speak about what the DMR does. Mike will contact them about a title for the talk and information for the press release. Larissa will contact the Lamoine School about having the public talk in the gym. Larissa will type up a flyer to be distributed. Light refreshment will be served. Linda will write a press release to send to the Ellsworth American.
5. Blunts Pond water testing: Linda spoke with Chris James and he will be teaching a combined class of 6th and 7th grade students next school year so we will have both grades do the water testing. We will meet at Blunts Pond in the afternoon of September 9, 2019 for most of the testing and then on September 10, 2019 in the classroom to complete the testing. Linda will go to the classroom before then to give a 15 minute lesson on the tests the student will complete. Kerry, Larissa and Diane might be able to volunteer and Linda and Jeff can volunteer.
6. Simon Trail Tree Walk: Tiara Woods will be the 5th grade science teacher next school year. There will be 20 students, so we will need to organize three groups. The tree walk will take place in the afternoon on September 16, 2019 with a rain date of September 23, 2019. Possible volunteers are Diane, Kerry and Larissa. Jeff, Iris and Linda can volunteer to help.
7. Thanks to Doug Stewart for his eight years of participation on the Lamoine Conservation Commission.
Motions and Outcomes:
1. The minutes of the May 8, 2019 meeting were approved as distributed.
Follow-up actions and who will do them:
1. Mike will contact DMR to get a title and more information about the July 10, 2019 talk.
2. Larissa will contact the Lamoine School to schedule the talk and she will type up a flyer to be distributed.
3. Refreshments for the talk: Doug will bring coffee, Linda will bake, Diane will bring drinks and cookies, Jeff will bring pretzels, Larissa will bring the mugs.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:26 PM.
Minutes taken by _________________________________ and approved on ________________________________.