Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Conservation Commission Minutes
August 21, 2019
Members present: Larissa Thomas, chair; Linda Penkalski, Kerry Diskin, Jeff Cosulich
Alternate members present: Mike Jordan, Jack Roubichaud
Member absent: Diane Nicolls
Meeting was convened at the Lamoine Town Hall by Chairman Thomas at 7:00 PM.
1. Approval of the June 12, 2019 minutes.
2. Welcome to Jack Robichaud, new alternate member.
3. Commercial solar farm on old landfill: The Town sent out the RFP for a solar farm to be constructed on the old, closed and capped landfill to produce power that goes back to the grid. Only one company SunPower, submitted a bid. They have experience constructing similar projects all over the country, including one on a closed landfills. After discussing positives and potential concerns about their proposal, we decided to recommend that the Select Board move forward on the next steps with SunPower.
4. Request from Adopt-A-Highway: Georgia Munsell, Adopt-A-Highway Coordinator, requested $200 to purchase litter grabbers for volunteers to use. We have $1,545 in our account. We agreed to give them the $200 for the litter grabbers.
5. Maine Coastweek Coastal cleanup: Saturday, September 21, 2019, is the date chosen by LCC and Lamoine 150. Low tide is 10 AM and the best time for the cleanup. Larissa, Diane and Kerry will lead teams.
6. DMR guest speakers July talk recap: Everyone agreed that the talk was very informative. Thanks, Mike, for arranging this public talk.
7. Simon Trail Tree Walk and Blunts Pond GET WET! testing updates: Simon Trail Tree walk is scheduled for September 16, 2019 with a rain date of September 23, 2019. There are 20 students, so there will be 3 groups. Groups will be led by Linda, Iris Simon and Anne Labossiere with help from Jeff. Diane, Kerry and Jack might be able to help. Larissa can help Iris hang the numbers on the trees. Last year we met the students at the trailhead at noon and Linda will email Tiara Woods, science teacher, to see if we can meet at 11:45 AM so we are not as rushed to complete the trail.
Blunts Pond GET WET! is scheduled for September 9, 2019 and September 10, 2019. Linda will contact Chris James, 6th and 7th grade science teacher, to see if she can speak with the students for about 15 minutes on September 3rd or 4th, 2019 about the tests they will run on the Blunts Pond water. She will then organize the materials for the testing. Linda and Jeff will do the testing on September 9th with the students at Blunts Pond and Kerry, Larissa and Diane might be available. On September 10th Linda can go into the classroom to complete the testing and Larissa might be able to help. Last year we met the students at noon at Blunts Pond. Linda will put in an order to HACH to purchase additional materials to spend the rest of the Maine Community Fund Grant money.
8. Future initiatives: There are no future initiatives right now.
Motions and Outcomes:
The minutes of the June 12, 2019 meeting were approved as distributed.
Follow-up actions and who will do them:
1. Larissa will email the Select Board about our decision to recommend that they pursue SunPower’s proposal. She will also attend their next meeting on September 5, 2019.
2. Larissa will register the LCC on the State of Maine website for the Maine Coastweek Coastal Cleanup.
3. Larissa will contact Cynthia Donaldson for a list of volunteers for the Coastal Cleanup on September 21, 2019.
4. Linda will email Iris about a date for Iris Simon and Larissa to hang the numbers on the trees for the Simon Trail Tree Walk.
5. Linda will email Tiara Woods about the time we should meet the students for the Simon Trail Tree Walk.
6. Linda will email Chris James about organizing the Blunts Pond GET WET! water testing.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:08 PM.
Minutes taken by Linda Penkalski and approved on _____________________.