Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Conservation Commission Minutes
December 8, 2020 (Draft, subject to correction)
Members Present: Larissa Thomas, chair; Linda Penkalski, Diane Nicholls, Kerry Diskin, Jack Roubichaud
Alternate members present: Mike Jordan, Diana Cassel
Meeting was convened and held virtually by Chairman Thomas at 7:02 PM.
1. Approval of the September 9, 2020 minutes.
2. GET WET!: Linda contacted the teachers at the Lamoine Consolidated School and tentatively GET WET! 2021 will be held in April with the hope that we will be able to work with the students at the school. This is all dependent upon an easing of the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions. Wednesday, April 7, 2021, Linda will introduce GET WET! to the 5th and 6th grade students. Thursday, April 8, 2021, GET WET! water testing will happen in the gym in the morning. Friday, April 9, 2021 will be a snow date.
3. Conservation Awards: In the past we only have given out the award when we have an outstanding candidate. It was the decision of the Lamoine Conservation Committee members that we have two deserving recipients this year. Larissa made a nomination and members unanimously voted that the award be jointly given to Katherine Dudzinski and Judith Whitcomb for their donation of land on Blunts Pond to become part of Bloomfield Park. The award presentation will be made at the Town Meeting this spring. Larissa will contact the honorees to inform them and invite them to attend the Town Meeting if possible as they both live out of town.
4. Bottle returnables: During the month of January, 2021 revenue from the bottle returnables at the Lamoine Transfer Station will go to the Lamoine Conservation Commission.
Motions and outcomes:
1. The minutes of the September 9, 2020 meeting were approved as distributed.
2. The Lamoine Conservation Commission members moved to give the Lamoine Conservation Award to two deserving recipients.
Follow-up actions and who will do them:
1. Linda will email the people who have helped with GET WET! to alert them about the tentative dates in April.
2. Larissa will contact the two Conservation Awardees and invite them to the Town Meeting this spring. She will contact Stu about the framed certificate and will purchase the frames. Stu will get the plaque engraved with the names of the recipients.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:22 PM.
Minutes taken by ___________________________ and approved on _______________.