Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Shore Access Subcommittee
Minutes - October 6, 2016
Kathleen called the meeting to order at 7 P.M. at the Lamoine Town Hall.
Present were: Committee members Larry, Jeff, Douglas, Aaron, Kathleen.
No minutes were submitted, as this was the first meeting of the subcommittee
1. General concept discussion. To seek & select a place to propose to purchase for the people of Lamoine to enjoy more access to the ocean. Kathleen presented her goals and meetings with various parties about the ideas.
There were mixed reviews with two comments warning that:
1. Lamoine has enough access compared to other communities, clammer Robert Alverez appeared before the board of selectmen to voice that opinion.
2. Letter from the Orchard Lane neighborhood that it could be difficult to control numbers and that neighborhood had had difficulties with shore access in the past.
Positive comments: Kathleen has met in September 2016 with two other groups that voted to support the idea:
1. The Frenchman Bay Regional Shellfish Committee (FBRSC) Advisory Board of Directors
2. The Maine Independent Wormers Association
In addition, we received some supportive statements from the Frenchman Bay Partners and the Maine Sea Grant. Kathleen also had positive support and comments from Richard Fennelly who is the Lamoine representative on the Shellfish Municipal Board and Jim Norris, Lamoine clammer on the Shellfish Board.
2. Discussion about some properties on the market, location and prices. We reviewed Lamoine tax maps, Kathleen pointed out four shore front properties currently on the real estate market. We talked in general about what type of property were available and future potential uses.
3. Discussion about shore land access rules and regulations. This is a complicated thing, and will be one of our challenges as we explain this to townspeople. Larry mentioned that the state put out a pamphlet about the matter. He will research and provide us an on-line link to the information.
http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/files/Public Shoreline Access in Maine.pdf
4 Timelines and time frames. General discussion about next steps. The committee decided that sending out a mailer would be a good first step. Costs were brought up as an issue. Kathleen said she would fund that effort. Kathleen will start a draft of a mailer for the group to work on at the next meeting.
5. Review of Lamoine Map – Aaron shared a beautiful set of Lamoine Maps with the committee. We discussed the various open spaces, and places were access was already, areas in conservation protection.
6. Site visit time and date set. October 13, 2pm, meet at the land to be walked. Kathleen will coordinate with land-owners as needed.
Future Meeting dates were discussed and agreed upon.
October 26th 2016, and November 30, 2016 –( in general a Wednesday following a Selectboard meeting . All meetings will be at the Town Hall starting at 7 P.M.
Submitted by Kathleen Rybarz
Next Meeting Dates The committee set the following dates for meetings: November , 2016, December , 2016, and January , 2016.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at P.M.
Kathleen Rybarz, Secretary