Town of Lamoine, Maine
LAMOINE CONSERVATION COMMISSION
Members Present: Tom Spruce, Fred Stocking, Lynda Tadema-Wielandt, Donna Theall.
The meeting was called to order at 9:04.
The Chair indicated that we would try to get through the agenda in thirty minutes.
1. Talk on Bird Migration by Michael Good. There was a better-than-expected turnout despite the weather. Consensus was that he was an enthusiastic speaker who knew his subject matter. He had a very interested audience and his talk was well received.
2. Break for refreshments and conversation.
3. Review of Agenda. Pass
4. Consideration of the Minutes of November Meeting. Pass
5. Listening to the concerns and comments of those attending. Pass
6. Planning Board and Selectfolk Concerns. Donna Theall reported that she attended the last meeting of the Planning Board on 12/7/04. There had been discussion on three gravel pit renewals and all had passed. She was concerned that the recommendations that the Commission had previously made a year ago were not taken into consideration. There was pressure to get the renewals approved. The State ultimately grants the permits, and they usually approve all permit renewals. We need to look at the monitoring reports. (See Donna’s Notes attached.)
Also mentioned was Steve Joy’s Marlboro Mist subdivision. He objects to the width of the road and believes that no other subdivision has to meet the requirements. Has another subdivision before the Planning Board on Shore Road.
7. Report from the Long Range Planning Committee. The LRPC will focus on establishing a memorial to the Lamoine soldiers who have served in the wars. (See attached copy of Report for further information.)
8. Report of the Recycling Subcommittee. Donna will design brochures to send to the property owners that rent. Tom will call Sherry Churchill and will talk to Rusty Boynton. He also talked with the Oxford Company regarding where we might sell non-corrugated boxes.
9. Status of Freshwater Initiative. The Chair read an email sent to him by Carol Korty (See attached.) Teresa Thornton is meeting with Michelle Gagnon of Ellsworth. Carol has finished the 19 packets needed by Ellsworth volunteers for the information-gathering on wells. Ashley Herbert of Sumner High School will be available to help collect data. Megan Kief also of Sumner High School is helping Hancock.
10. Planning for January, February and March Meetings. January will be a regular meeting. In March we will have our meeting on the third Wednesday. Fred Stocking has a speaker, Geographer Bob Kates, professor at Brown University, who is available on the third Wednesday.
The meeting adjourned at 9:37.
Respectfully submitted by Lynda Tadema-Wielandt, Secretary.
Reviewed and accepted by the Lamoine Conservation Commission on Wednesday, January 12, 2005, by a vote of ___ to ___.
Fred Stocking, Chair