Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Lamoine Planning Board
Minutes of November 10, 2009
Chairman G. Donaldson declared the public hearing open at 6:45pm. The hearing was on a New Gravel Pit Permit request, Doug Gott & Sons, Map 9, Lot 7.
Board members present: D. Bamman, G. Donaldson, M. Garrett, J. Holt, M. Jordan, C. Tadema-Wielandt. CEO: D. Ford Members of the Public in attendance: C. Lippitt (S.W.Cole), S. Marckoon (8:30pm), J. Penkalski, S. Salsbury
S. Salsbury, agent for D. Gott, posted a map and explained the applicant's intent.
J. Penkalski, an abutter, expressed several concerns:
The public hearing was closed at 7:08pm.
Chairman G. Donaldson called the monthly meeting to order at 7:10pm
Minutes: Two amendments were made to the minutes and accepted. They were:
The Secretary was asked to attach to the minutes Planning Board suggestions to a document developed by the Board of Selectmen. The document concerns the working relationship between the Planning Board, the CEO, the Administrative Assistant and the Select Board. Minutes were approved as amended.
CEO Reports. The reports were accepted and placed on file.
Conservation Commission. The Conservation Commission presented to the Board copies of a Mini-Handbook of Lamoine's Groundwater Hydrology. The Planning Board offers a hearty thank you' to Engineering Hydrologist Willem Brutsaert and the Commission for this important work. The handbook is available to Town residents. Residents are encouraged to read it.
1. Gravel Permit Request to renew a discontinued pit. Doug Gott & Sons, Inc. Map 9, Lot 7.
In a review of findings and fact, the Board attached two conditions to the permit.
J. Holt moved and M. Garrett seconded a motion to grant the permit with these conditions. The vote was unanimous
2. Gravel Pit Permit Request Doug Gott & Sons, Inc. Map 3, Lot 8.
G. Donaldson introduced a summary of the Town Attorney's opinion regarding the Board's authority to request hydrological studies. The sum of it is that the Board can request the applicant to pay for a study by the applicant's choice of hydrologist. Ordinance changes are necessary if the Board seeks to have an applicant pay for a study by a Board selected hydrologist.
M. Garrett introduced comments by Engineering Hydrologist Willem Brutsaert listing several reputable professional hydrologists and providing suggestions about what such a report should contain.
Following lengthy discussion, the Board voted unanimously to table this item until it receives a hydrological study. Among other things, the study will include:
3. Conditional Status Gravel Pit Permit, Doug Gott & Sons, Inc., Map 3, Lot 2. The water reading condition attached to the permit by the Board has been satisfied. No further Board action is necessary.4 Common Excavation Line Gott, Map 1, Lot 70 and Goodwin, Map 1, Lot 75. D. Gott and J. Goodwin have agreed to modify an existing boundary line for a permit which expires in 2011. Restoration will follow expiration of the permit. C. Tadema-Wielandt noted Gott is lacking a document of execution from Deerworldz, LLC, Map 1, Lot 70. C. Tadema-Wielandt moved and J. Holt seconded a motion to accept the requested modification. The vote was 5 in favor; none opposed.
1. Revision to Gravel Pit Permit, D. Gott, Map 4, Lots 11 &16. To properly assess revisions being sought, the Planning Board requested that the Deputy CEO locate the original application and map. Lacking these items, C. Tadema-Wielandt moved to table this item until the Board's December meeting. M. Garrett seconded the motion. The vote was 5 in favor; 0 opposed.
2. The Board designated and attested to a map drawn by the College of the Atlantic in 2008 as Lamoine's official Shoreland Zoning map.
Meeting adjourned at 10:00 pm
Michael F. Garrett, Secretary
December 1, 2009 - December meeting. 7:00pm. Town Hall