MINUTES OF THE LAMOINE PLANNING BOARD
December 3, 2002
Chairman P. Fowler called the meeting to order at 7:01pm
Board Members Present – D. Coleman, G. Donaldson, P. Fowler, M. Garrett, M.A.Orzel, D. Smallidge
Code Enforcement Officer – J. Holdsworth
Members of the Public in Attendance: R. Alvarez, A. Belch, E. Belch, J. Bennet, B. Berry, G. Ford
P. Frederick, D. Grasso, R. Houston, G. Hunt, J. Jerabek, R. King, C. Korty, P. MacQuinn,
B. Mills, Anthony Pettegrow, Alfred Pettegrow, J. Pettegrow, M. Pettegrow, S. Salisbury,
K. Smith, C. Tadema-Wielandt, J. Wuorinen, S. Wourinen
Minutes - Minutes of the November 12, 2002 meeting were accepted as written.
Code Enforcement Officer’s Report – The report was accepted and placed on file.
Conservation Commission – Carol Korty stated the Commission was hard at work but had no specific
report for this gathering.
1, Shoreland Zone Restoration Plan – A&J Pettegrow, Map 8, Lot 12-2. M. Garrett moved and G. Donaldson seconded a motion to accept the restoration plan. The vote was three in favor; two abstaining. Upon a question from the floor from R. Alvarez, G. Donaldson moved and M.A.Orzel seconded a unanimously passed motion to set December 3, 2002 as the starting point for those wishing to appeal the Board’s decision within thirty days.
2. Request for Driveway in the Shoreland Zone, T. Morrison, Map 8, Lot 5. There being no one present to represent the request, the matter was left unattended.
3. Gravel Pit Renewal, Jay Fowler/GeraldJordan, Map 7, Lot 16. There being no one present to represent the request, the matter was left unattended.
1. SSWD in Shoreland Zone - Steve Joy, Map 4, Lot 46?? Approval was unanimously granted.
2. SSWD in Shoreland Zone - Mr/Mrs Grasso, Map 4, Lot 46?? Approval was unanimously granted.
3. SSWD in Shoreland Zone – A.Belch, Map 3, Lot 39-6. Approval was unanimously granted.
4. Gravel Pit Renewal, Harold MacQuinn, Inc., Map3, Lot 33. G. Donaldson moved and D. Smallidge seconded a motion to accept the application as complete. However, issuance of a permit to operate is contingent on the following:
a) Submission of a map, designating an estimated three year excavation and restoration plan.
b) Agreement that with notification to the owner or designee, the CEO or the Deputy CEO alone or with one or more members of the Planning Board may visit the site upon request.
c) From the date of final restoration approval, the owner guarantees at least 85% of the restored vegetation will be alive and well after two years, failing which additional restoration will be performed.
d) Monitoring wells will be checked in April and November of each year.
A site inspection is scheduled for December 14, 2002. Interested parties are to meet at the Town Hall at 8:00am.
5. Gravel Pit Renewal, Richard King, Inc. Map 7, Lot 3-2. As numerous items of information were missing from the application, the application was deemed to be incomplete. The Board will reconsider the application upon receipt of the following information as specified (and listed here by number) in Section 7 C of the Lamoine Gravel Ordinance. A
a) list of all abutters, including those across the street. (#3)
b) written statement citing provisions for drainage and erosion control. (#6)
c) “detailed” landscaping and vegetation plan proposed for the three year permit drawn on a map larger than the one submitted as part of the application. (#9)
d) mapped statement showing the extent (areas) of projected excavation estimated for the life span of the permit. (#11)
e) written statement about washing operations, presumably saying there will be none. (#12)
A granting of an operating permit will also contain, as a minimum, the following requisites:
(1) With notification to the owner or designee, the CEO or Deputy CEO alone or with one or more members of the Planning Board may visit the site upon request.
(2) From the date of final restoration approval, the owner guarantees at least 85% of the restored vegetation will be alive and well after two years, failing which additional restoration will be performed.
(3) Monitoring wells will be checked in April and November of each year
6. Commercial Stump Grinding Operation, Map 4, Lot 46. G.Donaldson moved and M. Garrett seconded a motion to accept the pre application as complete. The vote was unanimous. Many questions remain to be addressed before a permit is issued, not the least of which is noise. The Board set a site visit date and time – Saturday, December 14, 2000 at 9:30am (following a visit to the MacQuinn Pit cited above.)
1. Building and Land Use Ordinance. The Board wishes to set January 14, 2003 at 7:00pm as the date for and time for an informational hearing (probably at the school?) for proposed changes to the Building and Land Use Ordinance. M. Garrett is to draft an explanatory letter and talk with S. Marckoon about how best to advertise this meeting. A date for a public hearing will be set at the Board’s February meeting.
2. Flood Plain Ordinance. The Board will schedule this ordinance for a public hearing, probably to
precede the hearing on the Building and Land Use Ordinance at a date to be announced. It will not be considered during the informational meeting on January 14th.
3. Ordinance Compilation Book Comments – The Board ‘enthusiastically’ endorses this project.
1. P. Frederick submitted a letter and addressed the Board regarding the Pettegrow operation. His concerns are two (at least) fold. One is that the size of the operation constitutes a significant ‘change of use’ as defined by the Ordinance and, subsequently, requires a permit not yet issued. The other is that the change of use currently in operation is not permissible in the Limited Commercial area in which it apparently resides. In response to his request that the Board consider these issues, the Board unanimously voted (motion made by M. Garrett, seconded by G. Donaldson) to add this item to the January meeting agenda
2. The Planning Board is unanimously of the opinion the Board should have a key to the safe in which town
3.M.A.Orzel is putting gathered well data (except for water quality) on a spread sheet format and welcomes suggestions.
2. Ken Smith addressed the Board about his worry that the Town is not doing enough to prevent folks, young folks especially, from tempting the fates atop some of the steeper exposed gravel pits. They are, he contends, “an accident waiting to happen”. Citing efforts by other communities to limit this potential liability, he offered to draft a statement for future inclusion in the Gravel Ordinance. The Board welcomes his interest and effort.
The Board adjourned at 9:43pm.
What the Future Holds
Saturday, December 14, 2003 – Site visit. MacQuinn Pit. 8:00am. Assemble at Town Hall.
Saturday, December 14, 2003 - Site visit. Proposed Gott Stumping Operation. 9:30am following the above MacQuinn Pit visit.
Tuesday, January 7, 2003. Monthly Planning Board Meeting. 7:00pm.
Tuesday, January 14, 2003. Informational hearing on proposed changes to the Building and Land Use Ordinance. 7:00pm. Likely location is the school.