MINUTES OF THE LAMOINE PLANNING BOARD
February 13, 2002
Chairman D. Coleman called the meeting to order at 7:05pm.
Board Members Present: J. Bragdon, D. Coleman, G. Donaldson, P. Fowler, M. Garrett, M.A.Orzel,
CEO & Deputy CEO: J. Holdsworth, J. Larson
Members of the Public in Attendance: D.Barbieri, E. Bearor, B. Boland, S. Branch, D. Briggs, A. Burman
E. Champeon, R. Christie, C. Cirand, B. Coleman, W. Conway, J. Cooper, D. Crane, George
Crawford, Glenn Crawford, L Fitzgerald, T. Hall, C. Harding, L. Harmon, A. Hedrich, J.Hedrich,
R. King, H. Lovett, P. MacQuinn, R. MacQuinn, S. Marckoon, J. McElroy, G. Payson, G. Powell,
M. Ranzoni, S. Salsbury, G. Simon, G. Swanberg, J. Toothaker, L. Tscheiller, C. Weber, T. Wilson,
M. Woodward, J. Wuorinen, S. Wuorinen.
Minutes – Minutes of the January 8, 2002 meeting were accepted as written at a meeting of the Planning
Board on January 15, 2002
Code Enforcement Officer’s Report – The report was accepted and placed on file.
A letter from the Fire Chief or his designee indicating adequate fire protection needs
to be part of the application.
Map 1, Lot 21.
The Board ruled that the proposal constitutes a two family dwelling. By ordinance, the lot must be two acres with road frontage of at least 400 feet. The proposed project is less than two acres and has less than 400 of road frontage. G. Donaldson moved and P. Fowler seconded a motion to deny the request. 4 Board members voted for the motion; 1 abstained.
2. Site Plan Review/Shoreland Zoning – Lamoine State Park – Map 13, Lot 45
Conditions required to consider the application complete:
1. Submission of a Shoreland Zoning application.
2. A list of abutters within 500 feet of the proposed activity
3. A photograph of the Coaling Station and formal consideration of its value as an
4. A delineation of the 100 year floodplain.
5. The project design should respect a 100 foot setback from normal high water to the
edge of the proposed parking lot.
6. The applicant is requested to supply the previous use figures upon which the need
for the project is based.
7. There is to be a full discussion of pedestrian movement and safety prior to final
M.A Orzel moved and J. Bragdon seconded a motion to approve the application pending satisfaction of the listed conditions. This item is scheduled for a public hearing on March 4, 2002.
3. Site Plan Review Application, Harold MacQuinn, Map 9, Lot 13 & Map 20, Lot 12. G. Donaldson moved and J. Bragdon seconded a motion unanimously approved to accept the application as complete with these conditions.
1. The distance between the outer edge of excavation and the cemetery is to be
2. Monitoring wells will be ‘read’ annually in April, July, November & January.
3. The five cent per square foot of development fee will be paid – approximately
This item is scheduled for a public hearing at the Planning Board meeting, March 4, 2002.
Gravel Pit Permit Application, Harold MacQuinn, Map 9, Lot 13 & Map 20, Lot 12. With one listed condition, G. Donaldson moved and P. Fowler seconded a motion to accept the application as complete. The condition is:
With notification to the owner or designee, the CEO alone or with one or more members of the Planning Board may visit the site upon request.
4. Site Plan Application, Patrick Jordan, Map 4 Lot 8. G. Donaldson moved and P.Fowler seconded a motion to accept the application as complete with these listed conditions:
1. Surface water drainage needs to be shown on the map.
2. A statement about crushing and screening needs to be made in Section 5 of the application –
“Statement of Purpose”.
3. Payment of the five cent per square foot of development fee – approximately 10,500
dollars needs to be made.
At this point in the meeting, for the second time, a discussion ensued about the rationale for and legality of charging five cents per square foot of development required by the Site Plan Review Ordinance (Section P, page 30). M Garrett moved and P. Fowler seconded a motion to request the Selectmen to consult counsel for a legal opinion of this issue.The motion passed 4 – 1.
This application is scheduled for public hearing at the Planning Board meeting, March 4, 2002
Gravel Pit Permit Application, Patrick Jordan, Map 4, lot 8. A motion by P. Fowler, seconded by
G. Donaldson, was made to accept the application as complete with these listed conditions. Further, this application is scheduled for a public hearing at the Planning Board meeting, March 4, 2002. The conditions are:
1. With notification to the owner or designee, the CEO alone or with one or more members of
the Planning Board may visit the site upon request.
2. Monitoring wells will be checked in April and November of each year.
On motion of G. Donaldson, seconded by M.A. Orzel, the Board adjourned at 10:38pm.
The Board meets next on March 4, 2002 at 7:00pm.
Michael F. Garrett, Secretary