Town of Lamoine, Maine
MINUTES OF THE LAMOINE PLANNING BOARD
Public Hearings were called to order at 6:30pm
1. Subdivision Application, SARJOY (Marlboro Mist II), Map 4, Lot 36. M. Harriman presented an overview. Abutter M. Tripp spoke of water problems related to his lot. He also decried that the addition of eleven new homes would “change the character of the neighborhood” – “from country to town”. W. Meyer spoke of water problems related to Marlboro Mist I – ground water and the quality of drinking water were noted. S. Joy indicated he will likely build houses in the subdivision himself.
2. Subdivision Application, Pebblebrook Construction (Boulder Cove), Map 3, Lot 12. T. Belch presented an overview. There was limited discussion about physical features – trees and a clam shell heap. T. Belch indicated he would build houses with a minimum of 1,800 square feet above ground.
3. Site Plan Review Application, Harold MacQuinn (gravel pit expansion), Map 3, Lot 31. Since this hearing was not properly advertised and will have to be held again, the applicants choose to present their information at a public hearing on October 27, 2004. Action by the Board will follow this hearing.
The Public Hearing portion of the meeting closed at 7:20 pm.
Chairman Donaldson called the October meeting of the Planning Board to order
Board Members Present. S. Branch, G. Donaldson, M. Garrett, L. Haft, M. Havey, C. Ohmart.
Code Enforcement Officer: D. Ford
Members of the Public in Attendance: E. Bearor, E. Belch, T. Belch, A. Burman (sp?), L. Champeon, K. Defusco, G. Ford, M. Googins, S. Googins, S. Gray, B. Hanson, M. Harriman, J. Holt, J. Kisor, A. Ludwig, P. MacQuinn, R. MacQuinn, C. Meyer, W. Meyer, F. Perkins, A. Robinson, S. Salsbury, C. Schmidt, D. West, K. Whitaker, J. Wuorinen
Minutes: Minutes of the August 31, 2004 meeting were accepted as presented.
Code Enforcement Officer’s Reports. Reports were accepted and placed on file.
1. Action on Subdivision Application. SARJOY, (Marlboro Mist II) Map 4, Lot 36. Since notice of public hearing was not made in timely fashion, no action could be taken. M. Garrett moved to table both the public hearing and further action until a special meeting on October 27, 2004. S. Branch seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous.
2. Action on Subdivision Application, Pebblebrook Construction (Boulder Cove), Map3, Lot 12. Since notice of public hearing was not made in timely fashion, no action could be taken. M. Garrett moved to table both the pubic hearing and further action until a special meeting on November 8, 2004. L. Haft offered a second. The vote was unanimous.
3. Action on Gravel Pit Renewal – RF Jordan,
Map 3, Lot 4. M. Garrett moved and S. Branch seconded a motion
to issue a gravel permit for this operation with two conditions stipulated.
a. The gate is to be padlocked as called for by the ordinance.
b. The application will be amended to add the words “and locked” after the words: “will be gated” on page 12
4. Subdivision Application. Gary Murphy/John Goodwin. Map 4, Lot 31-A. After attaching two conditions, M. Garrett moved and S. Branch seconded a motion to accept the application as complete. The conditions are:
a. The road entrance needs to be shown on the map.
b. The location of a culvert needs to be shown on the map and the statement: “no need for drainage” is to be placed on the application.
The vote was unanimous. This item is slated for a public hearing at the November 8, 2004 Board meeting after the Pebblebrook Construction hearing.
5. Subdivision Application – Dwayne Crawford/S.
Joy, Map 3, Lot 19. With no new information
presented and no one on hand to present it, this matter was left on the table.
6. Subdivision Application – Kevin Ireland, Map 9, Lots 27, 27A. M. Garrett moved and M. Havey seconded a motion to accept the application as complete with one condition. The condition is the need of a letter from the Fire Chief (or his designee) addressing the issue of fire protection. The vote was unanimous.
A portion of this subdivision lies within the city limits of Ellsworth, entitling
the City to a review of this project. Since none of the proposed subdivision
land in Ellsworth is physically impacted by the proposal, the Ellsworth Planning
Board chooses to waive a review. The Lamoine Planning Board authorized Chairman
G. Donaldson to sign a letter acknowledging the waiver of review request.
The applicant requests authorization to pave the subdivision road to a width of 24 feet with four foot gravel shoulders and possibly a land dividing island near the entrance. Both of the issues will be discussed when issuance of a permit is before the Board. This item is slated for a public hearing on November 8, 2004.
1. Request from Christine Schmidt to locate a display/sign at Artist’s Way, Map 7, Lot 4-2. Ms. Schmidt proposes to erect a 3’ x 8’ display structure for her art work. The structure would contain no lettering and would be located 87 feet from the center of a public road. The Board recommended that Ms. Schmidt apply for a Retail Establishment permit and include the display request with that application.
2. Request from Cathy Oleson to renew a building
permit for a garage, Map 18, Lot 3. Permit
#02-66 was issued on October 15, 2002. M. Garrett moved and S. Branch seconded a motion to
extended the permit in the names of Bruce and Cathy Oleson for a period of two years. The vote was unanimous.
2. Request for a septic system in the Shoreland, Steve Beldon, Map 1, Lot 23-2. With assurance from the Code Enforcement Officer that the system is in compliance, M. Garrett moved and L. Haft seconded a motion to grant the permit. The vote was 5 – 0 in favor.
4. Request to begin permitting process for the
“East Lamoine Pit”, John Goodwin, Jr, Map 1,
Lot 75 – the one behind the cemetery. Lacking a plan for site plan review, the Board tabled this request until the November meeting. At this meeting, the applicant will clarify the difference between
the East Lamoine Pit and the Aubrey Davis Pit
Subdivision Application Form. M. Havey volunteered to develop a subdivision application form which includes not only the requisite review items, but also allows adequate space for applicant response on the form. Further, she will attempt to design the form so that it can be downloaded from a computer by intended users.
The meeting adjourned at 9:27 pm
Michael F. Garrett, Secretary
Wednesday, October 27, 2004. A special meeting of the Planning Board. 6:30pm.
Two public hearings will be held followed by action on the permits requested. Should time permit, there may be a Planning Board workshop following this meeting. The public hearings are for:
1. Subdivision Application by SARJOY – Map 4, Lot 36
2. Site Plan Review Application – Harold MacQuinn, Inc. Map 3, Lot 31
Monday, November 8, 2004. Monthly Planning Board Meeting. 6:30 at the Town Hall. Preceding this meeting, beginning at 6:30pm will be three public hearings:
1. Subdivision Application by Pebblebrook Construction, Boulder Cove, Map3,
2. Subdivision Application, Gary Murphy/John Goodwin, Map 4, Lot 31-A
3. Subdivision Application, Kevan Ireland, Map 9, Lots 27, 27A