Town of Lamoine, Maine
MINUTES OF THE LAMOINE PLANNING BOARD
Chairperson G. Donaldson called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm
Board Members Present: G. Donaldson, S. Branch, M. Garrett, L. Haft, M. Havey, B. Jones, C. Ohmart
Code Enforcement Officer: D. Ford
Members of the Public in Attendance: R. MacQuinn, S. Salsbury, C. Korty, L. Murphy, E. Belch, G. Ford, K. Smith, D. Crawford, M. Harriman, S. Joy, P. MacQuinn, K. DeFusco, G. DeFusco, E. Bearor, A. Burman, L. Champeon, A. Robinson, K. Ireland
Minutes: Minutes of the July 6, 2004 meeting were approved as presented.
Code Enforcement Officer’s Reports: G. Donaldson asked a question about the goat farm complaint and CEO explained that he was sorting the issue out. Motion was made and seconded to approve the reports as presented. Accepted unanimously.
Conservation Commission: C. Korty announced that part of a grant for a groundwater study was approved and that the group now has $11,000 with a graduate student ready to start on the project. The grant stipulates that Lamoine must work with Ellsworth and Hancock. There are several parts to the project: 1) to compare the Gerber study from one year to another, 2) to check test wells and new wells for water quality, 3) to look at the aquifer in Marlboro.
1. Application for commercial expansion of the Lamoine General Store was discussed. All members who did the site visit felt everything was satisfactory and any concerns had been addressed. M. Garrett felt that as he was not present at the site visit that one of the alternates who had attended should vote on approval of the application. After much discussion, it was decided that voting should still be among regular members if present. M. Garrett made a motion to accept the application as complete. M. Havey seconded. A vote to accept the application as complete was unanimous. A public hearing is set for 31 August 2004 at 6:30 PM.
2. Subdivision application for Gary Murphy/John Goodwin (Map 4, Lot 31) was presented by S. Salsbury. It was determined that a list of abutters and a letter from the DOT approving the site/line view were still needed. M. Garrett made a motion to table this item until the next meeting. S. Branch seconded the motion. Unanimously approved to table.
3. Subdivision application for Steven & Athanasia Joy (Map 4, Lot 48) was presented by S. Joy. D. Ford presented a letter to the board dated July 29, 2004 regarding how property should be considered. It was determined that agenda items 5 b. ii. and iii. (Map 4, Lot 48- Raccoon Hollow and Map 4, Lot 36 – Marlboro Mist II) be considered as one subdivision as all lots together create more than 11 lots. S. Joy withdrew his request for Raccoon Hollow but would like to move forward with Marlboro Mist II. S. Branch commented that the remaining property owned by S. Joy needs to be counted as one lot even if it is not to be developed. There was much discussion regarding whether or not the application should show 11 or 12 lots. It was moved, seconded and unanimously approved to count Marlboro Mist as 12 lots. There was also discussion about the right of way. The CEO explained that both abutters (either side) would need to write letters of approval if it affects their property. The Planning Board has been tasked to “go with the more restrictive” ordinance so must require a 60 foot right of way. M. Garrett made a motion to require a 60 foot right of way. S. Branch seconded the motion. The vote to require the right of way was unanimous. A side comment was added regarding the road – not only will width be taken into consideration but the quality of the road will also be of issue and the CEO will enforce this.
4. Subdivision application for Duane Crawford/Steven Joy (Map 3, Lot 19) was presented by S. Joy. An 11 lot subdivision will be created and updated map shows square footage. The board requested that there be designation on the map about how much space is buildable and how much is wetland and was made a condition of approval. D. Crawford challenged this by addressing the cost issue of having map updated. M. Garrett made a motion to approve the application with the above condition. S. Branch seconded the motion. Vote was unanimous to approve. Site visit is scheduled for 7 August 2004 at 8 am.
5. Site plan review application for Harold MacQuinn (Map 3, Lot 31) was presented. It was determined that the permit fee applies only to the parts designated for expansion (per town’s attorney). A motion was made and seconded to approve the application with the following conditions: 1) a mailing address needs to be on the application, 2) bearings and distances must be added to the map, 3) location names and widths of right of way and roads need to be added to the map, 4)the application needs to state there will be no buildings and/or structures placed on the site, 5) setbacks need to be shown on the map (note: it will be okay to cross-reference reforestation plans that are included in the pit application). C. Korty expressed a concern regarding the cemetery and how the highest point in town will be affected. This will need to be addressed at the public hearing. M. Garrett made a motion to approve the application with conditions. S. Branch seconded the motion. The vote to approve was unanimous. Site visit was scheduled for 7 August at 7 am.
1. Subdivision pre-application for Keven Ireland (Map 9, Lot 27, 27A) was presented by K. Ireland and A. Robinson. It was moved and seconded to accept the pre-application as complete with the following conditions: 1) plan needs to reflect a 60’ right of access, 2) buildable and wetland areas need to be delineated on map, 3) wetland areas must be shown on the map. M. Garrett made a motion to accept the pre-application as complete with the above conditions. The vote to approve was unanimous. There was discussion regarding the need to meet with Ellsworth for a joint public hearing but it was decided that none of what was approved for Lamoine affects Ellsworth. A site visit was scheduled for 21 August at 8 am.
2. Subdivision application for Tony and Elizabeth Belch (Map 3, Lot 12) was presented by T. Belch. M. Garrett made a motion to accept the pre-application as complete with the following conditions: 1) setbacks need to be added to the map, 2) roadways/right of access need to be 60’. L. Haft seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous to approve. Site visit was scheduled for 9 am on 21 August.
1. Building and land use ordinance changes
- It was determined that the language should be changed to clarify what right of access means (30 feet from existing abutting property lines)
- It was determined that language should be added/clarified about delineating buildable and wetland areas.
2. Long range planning process
- M. Garrett and B. Jones volunteered to serve on the committee. Board will recommend that both be added.
- It was determined to propose that the COA students’ presentation be used for factual information C. Korty will provide CDs so the Planning Board can see what additional information might be needed.
- S. Branch made a motion to reimburse C. Korty for funds ($70) spent on behalf of the Planning Board. B. Jones seconded the motion. The vote to approve was unanimous.
There was discussion regarding the regular meetings for the next quarter as G. Donaldson has conflicts. It was decided that the tentative schedule would be as follows:
September meeting – Tuesday, 31 August 6:30 pm (regular
meeting at 7PM)
October meeting – Wednesday, 6 October 7 pm (may need to use 10/12)
November meeting – Monday, November 8 at 7 pm
December meeting – Tuesday, 7 December at 7 pm
Meeting adjourned at 10:00 pm
Linda Haft, substituting for M. Garrett
August 7, 2004 Site visits for MacQuinn at 7 am and Crawford/Joy at 8 am. Members to meet at town office.
August 19, 2004 Planning board members to meet with selectmen at 7 PM at town office.
August 21, 2004 Site visits for Ireland at 8 am and Belch at 9 am. Members to meet at the town office.
August 31, 2004 Public hearing for expansion of Lamoine General Store at 6:30 pm
August 31, 2004 September meeting of the Planning Board at 7 PM.