Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Home
Town Hall
School
Fire Department
Boards
Calendars

Lamoine Selectmen Minutes

March 22, 2007

Chair Jo Cooper called the meeting to order at 7:03 PM

Present were: Selectmen S. Josephine Cooper, Richard Fennelly Jr., Brett Jones, Cynthia Donaldson, Chris Tadema-Wielandt; Administrative Assistant Stu Marckoon, John Wuorinen, Dennis Ford, Michael Jordan, Michael Arsenault, Kathleen DeFusco

Agenda Review No changes were made to the printed agenda or addendum

Minutes Richard submitted some minor typographical changes to the minutes of March 8, 2007. Cynthia explained the confusion of the board's role over the budget. She moved to approve the minutes with the corrections. Chris 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0.

Salt Sand Shed Jo asked if the town intended to seek a variance for the location of the shed. Stu said we would have to if the site being discussed is used. A short discussion followed about engineering costs. Richard said he liked the estimates from Perry Fowler, but engineering costs should be added to that.

Selectmen asked what the next step would be. Stu suggested hiring the engineer would seem to be the logical step. He said proposals could be in by the next meeting. He asked what the scope of the work of the engineer ought to be. After considerable discussion on various aspects of the project, the board felt an engineering firm should perform the following tasks:

Michael Jordan asked if the board had given any consideration to locating the building inside the transfer station area. Richard said there are potential traffic problems with that.

Planning Board Request to use town attorney Stu explained the Planning Board had questions in regard to the approved subdivision purchased by Bangor Hydro and what happens to the approved plan if the transmission line runs through it. Mr. Jordan provided further explanation of the situation. Cynthia said the request from the Planning Board was exactly what the Selectmen had sought in the policy approved a few months ago. She moved to authorize the Planning Board to utilize the Town Attorney. Brett 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0.

Rules of Procedure Jo moved to approve the rules of procedure. Chris 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0. Selectmen signed the document

Fee Schedule Richard moved to approve the fee schedule as printed. Jo 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0. Selectmen signed the schedule.

Check Policy Chris asked what procedure Stu used when a check bounced. Stu said he would contact the bank the check was drawn on, and if there is enough to cover it, he would get the funds, and if there was not, he would contact the maker. No changes to the policy were proposed.

Resignation of Chris Tadema-Wielandt from Board of Appeals Jo moved to accept the oral resignation. Richard 2nd . Chris said he would submit a letter at some point. (The resignation is necessary because Chris being a Selectman is incompatible with serving on the Board of Appeals). Vote in favor was 4-0 (Tadema-Wielandt abstained).

Appointment to Board of Appeals Jo moved to appoint James Crotteau to the Board of Appeals to fill the vacancy created above. Chris 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0.

Appointment to Parks Commission Jo moved to appoint Shannon Sasso to the Parks Commission. Chris 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0.

Policy regarding Volunteer Firefighter Employees Stu said Cynthia e-mailed some alternative wording to the draft policy. Selectmen reviewed the wording and felt it would be good to substitute in the draft. Stu said he would have the final policy ready for approval next meeting.

Chris asked about what insurance covers volunteer firefighters. Stu said workers compensation plus a policy the town purchases for firefighters that covers their response.

Selectmen requested that Stu make up a sign to post in the window to explain why the office is closed if a fire call comes in.

Lamoine Quarterly Selectmen said they would review the draft quarterly and e-mail any changes to Stu.

County Ambulance Contract Richard said he was troubled by the physical limitation language in the contract. A discussion followed on the need for the contract. Selectmen asked that representatives from County Ambulance meet with them at a future meeting.

Mooring Permits Richard said the suggestion by Deputy Harbor Master Brian Corrigan that the town provide a sticker with the mooring permit number for mooring balls was a great idea. There was a brief discussion on whether the stickers would be suited for the mooring ball. Chris moved to approve the idea. Richard 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0.

Meeting with Animal Control Officer Harry Lounder was not present. Buttermilk Road resident Michael Arsenault said he would like to have the town sponsor him at the next animal control officer training class, and would like to propose himself as an alternate ACO. He said he gets 15 to 20 calls a year because people know him as a wild animal control officer. He said he's trying to get his foot in the door.

Jo said she thought it was a good idea to sponsor Mr. Arsenault. A short discussion followed on what procedures are used with stray animals, and it was emphasized that communications are essential.

Jo moved to sponsor Mr. Arsenault to take an ACO class. Richard 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0. Stu said he would call Harry to find out what happened.

Dog Warrant Selectmen signed the annual unlicensed dog warrant. There was a brief discussion about the process.

Spring Meeting Schedule Cynthia said she wanted to talk about the process of employee evaluation before actually meeting with the employees. Richard said he understood the process was to review the employee's performance to the extent there might need to be coaching, and to annually touch base with the employee to find out what needs they might have. Chris said he was not familiar with the process used. Cynthia said a form is provided. Stu said maybe the questions on the form ought to be revised. Cynthia agreed. Jo said the form could be more useful, and there are a lot of different ones available. She said the employee ought to do a self evaluation. Stu said he could check the Maine Town & City Management and MMA websites.

Jo said documentation of any issues is important. Cynthia said though the board acts as supervisors, in truth they are not, and it's a funny position to be in. Jo said the Selectmen have the supervisory role, but they don't oversee the day to day operations. She said a new set of evaluation questions might be more appropriate and helpful. She said the meetings with employees should not start next meeting instead the board should look at evaluation forms and decide what process to use.

A short discussion about the scheduled May 17 th meeting followed. Jo said she's not available, Stu said he's at a conference all day, and Richard said he would likely be out of town. A decision will be made at a later time as to whether this meeting is needed.

Selectmen felt the CEO and Planning Board should attend the same meeting. Chris noted that he called Dennis a couple of times in regard to the weekend storm, and the response was effective.

Warrant 18 Selectmen signed expenditure warrant 18 for $43,491.53. A short discussion on excise tax collections statewide followed.

There were no questions about the cash & budget report and the trial balance report.

Other Long Range Planning Brett asked if the Selectmen had decided whether the Long Range Planning Committee should look into a Comprehensive Plan Update. Jo said they should. Stu said he'd placed it on the agenda for the Planning Board as well.

Office Design Brett asked if anything has been done about redesign of the offices in the town office. Stu said he wanted to wait until Jennifer Kovacs returned to work so the staff could meet and come up with a plan

Transfer Station Pole Brett noted that several of the support beams at the transfer station are damaged. Stu said he would call Richard King to see how they might be fixed.

Request from Bangor Hydro to use Posted Roads - Jo moved to approve the request from Bangor Hydro. Richard 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0.

Veterans Memorial Committee Jo noted the committee has not officially been created by the Selectmen, but has been actively meeting for several months. Jo moved to pass an order to officially create the committee. Brett 2nd . Vote in favor was 4-0 (Tadema-Wielandt abstained). A short discussion followed on the committee's function. Selectmen signed the order, noting the committee's duration is 5-years.

Chris moved and Brett 2nd to appoint the following members to 5-year terms on the committee:

Vote in favor was 5-0.

Stu noted the members of the Cable TV Committee have never been officially appointed by the Selectmen.

Roof Bid Mike Jordan said the roofing bid for the town hall should be prepared and advertised soon. A very brief discussion followed.

Maine Municipal Bond Bank Document Jo moved to authorize Stu to sign a document from the Maine Municipal Bond bank in regard to the school renovation loan.

Septic Design @ School Selectmen had no objection to the proposed site of the septic system at the school.

Road Damage Road Commissioner Dennis Ford said his estimate to get the roads back to the shape they were in before the winter storms is closer to $35,000 than the $9,000 Stu had put on the Emergency Management Agency form. He said extensive work is needed to rebuild shoulders, clean ditches and culverts and to put the roads back into the shape they were in before the winter. A discussion followed on the various washouts and repairs and on the perennial flood area on Needles Eye Road .

Jo asked how to inform the DOT about the condition of Partridge Cove Road . A short discussion followed on marking the various hazards on the shoulders around town. Stu said he would increase the estimate on the EMA form. Dennis said he had a list of things that need to be addressed, including:

Posting MacQuinn Road Stu reported a resident of MacQuinn Road came into the town office, very upset that the road had not been posted. He said the road has not been posted since he's worked for the town because Route 184 is usually posted, isolating MacQuinn Road . He said the MDOT posted Route 184, but only to the North of MacQuinn Road, so he called the MDOT and their foreman came to the office and said they intend to post from the Town Hall to MacQuinn Road once the frost starts to come out.

Jo said she didn't see the downside of posting the MacQuinn Road , and moved to authorize the Road Commissioner to do so. Richard 2nd . Vote in favor was 4-1 (Tadema-Wielandt opposed). Selectmen urged Stu to call MDOT again to remind them of posting Douglas Hwy.

Selectmen signed a thank-you card to Richard Davis for the donation of a framed copy of a topographical map of Lamoine.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 9:23 PM

Respectfully submitted,

Stu Marckoon, Adm. Asst.