Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Home
Town Hall
School
Fire Department
Boards
Calendars

Lamoine Board of Selectmen

Minutes of October 2, 2008

Chair Jo Cooper called the meeting to order at 7:03 PM

Present were: Selectmen Richard Fennelly Jr., Chris Tadema-Wielandt, Brett Jones, Cynthia Donaldson, S. Josephine Cooper; Administrative Assistant Stu Marckoon, Deputy Code Enforcement Officer Michael Jordan, Parks Commissioners Christa Brey, Kerry Galeaz, and Veterans Memorial Committee member Kathleen DeFusco

Agenda Review The Board agreed to move the Parks matters up the agenda.

Minutes of September 18, 2008 Richard noted some minor changes and moved to approve the minutes as corrected. Jo 2nd . Vote in favor was 4-0, Cynthia abstained.

Warrant 7 Selectmen signed expenditure warrant 7 for $52,692.88. Stu noted that the bill to AA Randall & Sons was paid prior to signature by agreement of the Selectmen via e-mail.

Cash & Budget Report Chris inquired about a date on the cash report. Stu said he would have to fix that manually. There was a brief discussion about the percentage expended compared to the percentage of the year completed. Stu said a lot of the larger expenses have occurred in full such as the paving and fire truck payment.

Parks Commission Parks Commission Chair Kerry Galeaz inquired about the status of the deeds in reference to the Bloomfield Park Road . Stu said he had signatures in hand from the Boynton and Madrell families. There was a brief discussion about the detail in the deeds. Jo moved to have the Selectmen sign the deeds. Chris 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0. Selectmen signed the deeds. Mr. Galeaz asked if the road project into Bloomfield Park could start. Chris said he would advise to start digging.

Mr. Galeaz and Mrs. Brey showed off an example of the material to be used for the kiosk panels at the parks. They also showed off the posters of the rough draft of the displays. Mr. Galeaz said the cost is about $240/panel, but that may have gone up a bit. There was a discussion about durability of UV exposure. Mr. Galeaz said the National Park Service has experienced a better than 10-year life. Stu suggested the town hall sign is deteriorating and might look into it being made at the same time. Chris said the commission was to be commended for its work. Mr. Galeaz said they plan to send out the art work next week or the week after and they would do their best to get the kiosks up for next spring. Jo said the Historical Society ought to proofread the art work first. There was a brief discussion about the success of the trout stocking program at Blunt's Pond

Oil Pre-buy There was a brief discussion about the prices available for heating fuel and whether the contract offered a refund for last year's price. Stu reported that he checked around last week and prices were back up. He said that the difference would be less than the amount to be credited by No Frills Oil on the pre-buy amount. He said No Frills had purchased the oil based on the bid by Union 92 and the consortium that joined together for the bid. Chris suggested that would create some obligation to follow through with the purchase and advised the contract should be signed. Jo moved to sign the agreement. Chris 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0. Selectmen signed the contract . Stu said he would cut a check tomorrow and deliver it personally to No Frills.

Public Hearings General Assistance Jo signed an order for a public hearing into the annual update of the General Assistance Ordinance on October 16, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Junkyards Stu suggested that November 6, 2008 would be a good date for the hearing as it would give him time to prepare, advertise it, and to have Barry Norris prepare the renewals. There was no objection from the board to the date. Brett asked if well testing is required by the junkyards. Stu said it is not required and he was not sure if the Board has the authority to do so. There was a brief discussion.

Lamoine Quarterly Stu said he had just finished up the latest edition. He said he'd like to get it printed Monday and asked the Board to review it over the weekend.

Snow Plowing Contract Stu said he was still waiting for figures from Nankervis Trucking. Brett asked how a performance bond works. Richard said it was basically an insurance policy. He said he doesn't use them in his business any longer because they're very costly to the contractor.

School Consolidation Cynthia said Henry Ashmore had done a good job of updating the Selectmen on the consolidation process at the last meeting and she had nothing new to add. She said she wanted to make sure that delineation of the fire station lot is kept alive. Brett noted the latest plan submission saw no listing of property exclusions. Cynthia said the fire station is within the Selectmen's' purview. She said things in the school building are within the school board's jurisdiction. Brett said he was shocked to see that nothing was listed. Cynthia said she could get back to the school board. There was a brief discussion about the ballfield.

Cynthia asked how to proceed on the firehouse. Richard said the Selectmen should meet with the School Committee and the Fire Department. Brett said he thought the Planning Board should be involved. He said it's inevitably going to be a non-conforming lot. There was a short discussion about setbacks from property lines.

Cynthia said someone from the Board of Selectmen needs to be the moving force to keep moving with the delineation. Michael Jordan said he disagreed with putting this before the planning board. He said a plan should instead be presented to them. A brief discussion followed.

Richard said the Selectmen, School Committee and Fire Department should determine where the pins need to be set, and present the proposal to town meeting. Jo reviewed the steps discussed. Brett said dragging the town's feet would be a bad thing but this doesn't need to be done next week. Cynthia said this has been a hanging issue for a long time. Brett said it was taken to town meeting once. Cynthia said the town meeting instructed the Selectmen to get more information before coming back.

Richard said he was pretty sure the school committee, fire department and Selectmen could quickly agree on the layout. There was a brief discussion about how the lot could be laid out, where the portable classrooms fit into the layout, and how to access the rear of the fire station if needed.

Brett and Cynthia said they would make sure this moves forward. Richard said he was interested in helping lay it out. Stu said he would attend the school committee meeting on Monday to ask about their interest.

Veterans Memorial Jo said the Veterans Memorial Committee plans to hold a 50/50 raffle at the next fire department supper. Stu said he's had requests for DVD's of the dedication. Selectmen agreed those should be sold for $10/each with proceeds going to the memorial fund. Jo said a picture booklet is being contemplated, along with a souvenir fund raiser.

Town Hall Renovation Stu reviewed what had been done thus far. He said the electricians were nearly done they were just waiting for audio cable parts and had to string one phone line in the Technology Room. He said the lights have all been upgraded to energy efficient ballasts and tubes, the phone lines and Internet were all hooked up and working properly, and the various outlets needed were installed. He said the new fire alarm system was installed and working. He said AA Randall has completed the storage room floor, his office, and the flooring in the back room and clerk's office. He said there is more work to be done on the clerk's office and flooring for the hallway and the meeting room. He said new chairs are needed as are new computer monitors which will be more energy efficient. He said with the Board's permission he would pick those up tomorrow afternoon.

Richard noted there was a slight crown in the trim by the window to the Administrative Assistant's office.

Other Business Cynthia asked if there had been any follow up on the LD 1 question raised at the last meeting. Stu said e-mail had been sporadic and he'd not had a chance to do that.

The meeting schedule through February was outlined.

Workshop Selectmen began a workshop discussion staffing needs and job descriptions at 8:02 PM. Among the items discussed was whether 1 full time and 2 part time office staffers were adequate. There was no sentiment to change the staffing at this time. Selectmen said they would like to see some supervisory functions added to the Administrative Assistant's job description.

The workshop and the meeting adjourned at 8:20 PM

Respectfully submitted,

Stu Marckoon, Adm. Asst.