Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Home
Town Hall
School
Fire Department
Boards
Calendars
Newly Added

Lamoine Board of Selectmen

 
 
Jo Cooper
Cynthia Donaldson
Gary McFarland
Bernie Johnson
Nathan Mason
 
Minutes of April 18, 2013

Chair Jo Cooper called the meeting to order at 7:02 PM

Present were: Selectmen Nathan Mason, Bernie Johnson, Gary McFarland, S. Josephine Cooper; Administrative Assistant Stu Marckoon, Fire Chief George “Skip” Smith. Selectmen Cynthia Donaldson had informed the board prior to the meeting that she would be unable to attend.

Agenda Review – Selectmen agreed to move the fire chief up on the agenda.

Minutes of April 4, 2013 – Jo moved to approve the minutes as written. Gary 2nd . Vote in favor was 4-0.

Expenditure Warrant 20 – Selectmen signed the warrant in the amount of $197,219.87. Stu reported the largest expenses were for the school warrant and the snow plowing bill.

Cash & Budget Report – Stu reported that excise tax collections have picked up markedly. Jo asked about investment interest. Stu said the interest is posted monthly, but we're a little behind projections.

Meeting with Fire Chief – Chief George Smith said he spoke with a truck chassis vendor and is advised that the sooner the bid can get out the better off the town will be due to a shutdown in July. He said that would delay construction of the chassis until September first, so he was requesting to get the chassis bid out sooner. Jo asked how much time it would take to get bids back. Chief Smith said a couple of weeks should be sufficient. Stu said no specifications have been received yet. Chief Smith said they have yet to clean up the specs, but should have them ready by next week. Jo said they'll have to have the specs to go to bid in the proper form for the bid process. She said the chief could get those to Stu and the Selectmen could provisionally approve them. Chief Smith said he would also provide the last RFP from the past two truck purchases for comparison purposes.

Gary said it appears to be important to get the bids as soon as possible to avoid the costly emissions change. A brief discussion followed. Jo said the Selectmen have to review the bid specs for their next meeting on May 2nd . Chief Smith said he would still review the bids received and make a recommendation. Jo said if the specs are ready, the bid could go out on May 2nd .

Stu asked if he could be authorized to contact bond counsel. Jo moved to allow that, Nathan 2nd . Vote in favor was 4-0. Discussion followed on specifications and the review process.

RSU 24 Withdrawal – Gary noted that the agreement has apparently received conditional acceptance by the Department of Education as written. He said the next step is for the RSU to hold hearings in town. He said the RSU would run the hearing tentatively set for May 20, 2013. He said the public could express concerns over each article in the agreement. He said it's not a public hearing prior to the final vote, but all concerns would be taken into consideration. He said the withdrawal process is a 22-step procedure and we're currently on step 10. He said that after final approval following the first hearing, the Department of Education would set a voting date.

Stu asked about the proposed hearing. Gary explained that it's a hearing only on the agreement before the final agreement is approved to go before voters. Nathan asked about the criteria for feedback. Gary said the public will express concerns over each article. He said the agreement is not final until each of those concerns is looked at. Nathan said that seems to be a pretty vague way to do things. Jo said that looking at the process sometimes it seems like the public has no say and other times a few members of the public can sway the entire process. Gary read step 10 of the process.

Stu reported that no communication has been received at the town office from the Commissioner of Education. Gary said that withdrawal committee member Gordon Donaldson spoke with Deputy Education Commissioner Jim Rier.

Nathan asked if the agreement would be available to the public prior to the hearing. Gary said it would. Stu said he would post it to the website. A brief discussion followed about the readability of the document.

Gary said he was unsure of any more scheduled meetings for the withdrawal committee. He said they would like to get a volunteer board to work up a potential budget for the school system prior to the final vote. He said the withdrawal committee would like to see someone from the budget committee, the community at large and the school community. He said the proposed budget would have to be figured as Lamoine running its own school department at this point. Jo asked when that budget would be available. Gary said he hoped it would be in the first part of June. He said when that was done, forums could be held on the budget.

Bernie asked if the RSU Withdrawal Committee has any official role at the hearing. Gary said it was correct that the committee has no role. Bernie asked if the withdrawal committee would be there as citizens. Gary said that was correct, but the RSU board should have all the answers. Bernie said there might be a few questions that arise. Jo asked if the Withdrawal Committee has met with the Local School Advisory Committee. A brief discussion followed – Nathan noted that two members of the Withdrawal Committee sit on the advisory committee.

Nathan asked if the hearing would go through the withdrawal agreements of each of the towns. Gary said it would not – just Lamoine's. He said the hearing would most likely be held at the Lamoine School, and that they're waiting for the letter.

Stu said it was reported in the newspaper that representatives from Lamoine, Hancock and Ellsworth met to discuss forming an AOS. He asked where the authorization came from for that. A brief discussion followed.

Stu reported that he had received hand written minutes and they were posted on the town's website. More discussion followed on the withdrawal process and budget formation. Gary said he would bring a request to appoint a school budget committee when the time comes. Discussion followed on whether the withdrawal committee was charged with developing a possible school budget following withdrawal, and whether it would be an “official” budget and who, if anyone, had authority to present it as such.

Jo said she would like to see what the charge to the committee was and discussion that at the next meeting. She said she would recommend that the withdrawal committee not go down the budget development road yet until that can be reviewed. Nathan asked if the town should be providing budget information at a public hearing. Stu said he would contact the Town of Glenburn and the Town of Arundel to see how they handled that.

Deputy Code Enforcement Officer – Because the Code Enforcement Officer was unable to attend, this item will appear on the next agenda.

Sweeping – Stu opened the bids received for street sweeping and read them as follows:

 

George

Crawford

Downeast

Supervac*

Seabreeze

Property

Richard

Snyder

2013

3,500

1,700/2,250

29,000

4,500

2014

3,500

1,750/2,300

29,000

5,000

2015

3,500

1,800/2,350

29,000

5,500

*The higher price was for picking up the sand instead of sweeping it off the road.

He recommended awarding the bid to Downeast Supervac. Jo so moved, Nathan 2nd . Vote in favor was 4-0.

Planning Board Workshop Follow-up – Stu said he thought the session was productive. He said he would be glad to do an action item memo.

Personnel Reviews – Selectmen said they would like to conduct the reviews with the four regularly paid personnel (Administrative Assistant, Clerk/Tax Collector, Code Enforcement Officer and Transfer Station Manager) in May and June. Stu said he would set up a schedule, and would volunteer to be first in May.

Goals – Jo said she'd like to discuss what the board has for goals for the coming year. She said in the past it has included things like improving town meeting attendance. She said one goal she would like is to meet with the various boards and committees annually, mentioning the Parks Commission and Conservation Commission. Gary agreed that would be a good idea and a brief discussion followed. Jo said she would like to keep the goals issue on the agenda and asked each Selectman to think about it.

Jo said she also likes Chris Norris's idea of having a school assembly with the Selectmen. A discussion followed on the timing – the board would like to do it before school ends and preferably on an early Friday afternoon. There was discussion about a possible youth liaison to the board.

Request for Security Guard for School – Jo noted that the Board received an e-mailed request for armed security for the school from Chris Norris. She said that would be a school matter. Gary said it's an RSU controlled situation. Jo said she's not sure that it's up to the Selectmen. Gary said it could be a community awareness issue. Jo said Mr. Norris could be directed to approach the RSU. Nathan said this is more of a state matter. Bernie read the message from Mr. Norris.

Jo said she would like to respond to Mr. Norris to thank him for his concern and tell him the matter is being directed to the RSU Superintendent. Bernie suggested that the Selectmen could encourage teachers to obtain a concealed weapons permit. Jo suggested maybe a state representative could be contacted, and a brief discussion followed. The Board agreed to have the chair send a letter to Mr. Norris and to forward his concerns to the Superintendent of Schools.

Returnables Request – Jo moved to assign the returnables proceeds for September to the Lamoine/Bayside Grange which made application. Gary 2nd . Vote in favor was 4-0.

Other – Gary asked if action is needed to have Mike Jordan and Stu work on possible amendments to the Building and Land Use Ordinance to deal with the MUBEC question. Stu said he believes they got that message from the Planning Board a couple of nights earlier. He said they would strive to have something ready by August.

The meeting initially adjourned at 8:09 PM – prior to the board leaving the building, it was discovered that the Selectmen had not acted on hiring an attorney and setting a meeting date with the attorney regarding the gravel suit. The meeting reconvened at 8:15 PM with all members present. The board said it would like to hire Daniel Pileggi as the town attorney. The Board would like to meet with him on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM at the town hall. The Board will ask the Parks Commission to hold its meeting at another location.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned (finally) at 8:25 PM

Respectfully submitted,

Stu Marckoon, Adm. Asst. to the Selectmen