Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Home
Town Hall
School
Fire Department
Boards
Calendars
Newly Added

Lamoine Board of Selectmen

 
 
Jo Cooper
Gary McFarland
Bernie Johnson
Nathan Mason
Heather Fowler
 
Selectmen Minutes - May 8, 2014

Chairman Gary McFarland called the meeting to order at 6:32 PM.

Present were: Selectmen Nathan Mason, Gary McFarland, Heather Fowler, S. Josephine Cooper (arrived 6:42 PM), Bernie Johnson (arrived 7:15 PM), Administrative Assistant Stu Marckoon and town attorney Daniel Pileggi.

Gary moved to enter executive session pursuant to 1MRSA §405(6)(e) to consult with the town attorney. Nathan 2nd Vote in favor was 3-0. In at 6:32 PM. Out at 7:00 PM.

Following the executive session the following people were present: Walter Grenier, Michael Jordan, Valerie Sprague, Steve Salsbury, John Holt, and Kathryn Gaianguest.

Agenda Review – There were no changes to the printed agenda and addendum.

Minutes – April 24, 2014 – Heather moved to approve the minutes as printed. Nathan 2nd . Vote in favor was 4-0.

Expenditure Warrant 21 – Selectmen signed the warrant in the amount of $200,135.57. Stu reported the major expenditures were the RSU 24 bill, the school plowing and extraordinary cost bill and the education transition bills. He said he would have to move money from the investment management account to cover the RSU 24 check.

Cash & Budget Report – Stu reported excise tax collections are well ahead of budget.

Checking Account Reconciliation – Selectmen signed the statement expressing satisfaction with the reconciliation of the town's checking account.

Notices of Violation – Gravel Pits – Stu reported that an error existed in the notices the Code Enforcement Officer mailed out a couple of days prior. He said that would be corrected and the new notices would go out next Tuesday.

Gravel Working Group – Gary reported the next issue the group will tackle is reclamation. Jo asked how the water testing discussion went. Steve Salsbury said there were a lot of ideas. He said the group will have hydro geologist Bob Gerber speak with them. Stu said the date for that would be June 5, 2014 and the gravel group would set a time for that meeting a week from tonight.

Gary said there was a good discussion with Mr. Gerber at a recent Planning Board meeting. He said he would like to see the gravel group wrap up its work in a couple more meetings. He said the group needs to discuss how to present whatever it might come up with to the Board of Selectmen.

Val Sprague asked why the court document was sent to Mr. Gerber. Stu said it was suggested in the letter that Mr. Salsbury drafted as it would give a good background about some of the issues. Mr. Salsbury said it would be helpful so Mr. Gerber is not blindsided by some of the issues. Jo asked if everyone in the group was having a say. Mr. Salsbury said they were. Gary said there has been 100-percent interaction. Discussion followed on the process to use to get potential amendments to the gravel ordinance drafted.

Transfer Station – Gary said it appears the new transfer station attendant was trying to slow down traffic at the facility. Stu reported that Chris Meyer did a permit check the previous weekend. He said most people understood but there were a few calls and irate folks. He said both Mr. Meyer and the town office issued a lot of resident permit stickers.

Heather asked about the Planet Aid box. Stu said it should be soon – he said the organization was trying to coordinate with their delivery to the City of Ellsworth.

Stu said the Jersey barrier Mr. Meyer purchased was on the expenditure warrant for this evening and besides providing a convenient permit checkpoint, it also would help prevent potential accidents with pedestrians in front of the swap shop building.

Heather asked about a flyer developed by Mr. Meyer, noting there was a lot of information contained in it. Stu said he'd made the same remark to Mr. Meyer and it's something to work on.

Swap Shop Rules - Stu reported one individual has been a bit troublesome at the swap shop and it has been suggested that the “rules” be explained to him. He said there are no official rules for the swap shop at this point, and offered to draft up a set. Nate said there would have to be repercussions if the rules are not followed.

Stu reported that the same individual seems to have a lot of trash around his residence, including a refrigerator with doors. He said he referred that to the Health Officer, and there is one other situation in town regarding a complaint of a person throwing trash out their windows which was also referred to the Health Officer.

Bernie asked about a policy regarding employees taking anything from the swap shop. Stu said the informal policy has been first come, first served. Nathan asked about ink and toner collection. Stu said there has been a collection in the returnables room for several years, and the Patrons are welcome to make sure that collection box is still there.

Stu reported that he received a phone call of concern from a representative from Forest Hill Cemetery regarding the requirement that all trash be in bags. There was a brief discussion and Stu said he would work with Mr. Meyer on some flexibility.

Expiring Appointments – Selectmen had no objection continuing the policy of having the Administrative Assistant contact the personnel whose terms will be expiring to see if they wish to continue.

Technology Advisory Committee – Gary summarized the written proposal submitted to form the committee. Jo moved to create the committee. Nathan 2nd . Heather asked if it would be 3 or 5 members. Stu said he believed he could easily find 5 people. Vote in favor was 5-0. Stu said he hoped to have a list for the next meeting.

Fire Station Damage – Gary asked how bad the wood rot situation looked. Michael Jordan said it's not as bad as first thought; the garage doors do not have to come down. He said he started today on the repair project. Heather asked how far the rot had extended. Mr. Jordan explained the extent of the damage. Heather asked about the estimated repair cost. Mr. Jordan explained that he didn't think it would be too expensive and that he's organized a work detail with the fire department for this coming weekend. He said the fire department members are donating their time.

Jo asked if the lack of flashing on the siding caused the damage. Mr. Jordan said that was correct. He said another $16 dollar investment when the facility was built would likely have prevented the problem.

Flood Maps – Stu said the letter from the Federal Emergency Management Agency is full of acronyms but asks that any corrections to the map be made. He noted that the Jordan River on one map was mislabeled as Mt. Desert Narrows. Mr. Jordan said at some point the town will have to vote on a new Flood Plain Management Ordinance.

Veterans Graves Agreement – Stu reported he's still waiting to hear from Richard Fennelly Jr. in regard to the draft agreement.

Returnables – Jo moved to award the proceeds from the November 2014 returnables to the Lamoine Baptist Church. Heather 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0.

Mowing – Stu reported Richard McMullen has offered to keep his mowing prices the same as previous years. Jo moved to accept that offer. Nathan 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0.

Heating RFP – Nathan said adding cleaning the duct work is a good idea. There were no objections to advertising the RFP as drafted.

Kathy Gaianguest said the fuel buyers group has been discussing alternative heating options such as a heat pump. Stu explained that the RFP was open ended in case that might be a viable alternative. A brief discussion followed about energy efficiency.

Comprehensive Planning Ad – Heather said the advertisement sounded good. Stu said he would send the ad to the previous planning committee, the general town e-mail list and advertise it in the Ellsworth American.

Paving – Stu reported that Lane Construction won the bid for paving at about $77/ton which is lower than budgeted. He said they plan to start paving by June 1, which will mean that preparation will need to be done soon.

Outhouse Maintenance – Stu reported the Parks Commission had no preference on who maintained the two outhouses. He asked if there was any objection to asking Bill Fennelly to do it again. Selectmen were OK with that.

Petition Question Public Hearing – Stu reported the Selectmen received an e-mail message from David Sanderson earlier in the day inquiring about making a power point presentation at the public hearing on May 22, 2014. Gary read the e-mail. Stu said he suspected the presentation would be similar to the Planning Board hearing. Jo said she has no problem with that. She said the idea is to get information out. Stu reminded the Selectmen that they run the hearing. Gary said there was no problem with Mr. Sanderson having his presentation. Stu said it would be up to Mr. Sanderson to bring the computer and arrange for the projector. Gary said it would have to be set up prior to the hearing.

Cable TV Schedule – Gary said there was an e-mail sent to John Holt from Catherine deTuede requesting the Planning Board to re-run the public hearing that was held in March on the Cable TV Channel. Stu said he schedules programs to run until the group that is holding the meeting has their next meeting, and replaces that with the new meeting. He said the public hearing ran many times immediately after it was held. Jo said she can see Ms. deTuede's point. Stu said he can schedule it, but there are some logistical issues involved with having too many shows running. A brief discussion followed about programming on the Cable channel. Stu said he would make it fit into the schedule.

Letter from Steve Callahan – Selectmen reviewed the letter from Mr. Callahan expressing concern about licensing gravel pits. No action was requested.

Letter from Catherine deTuede – Gary said he received an e-mail from Ms. deTuede in regard to gravel pits and forwarded it to the town hall where it was distributed electronically.

Heating Assistance Program – County Funding – Stu reported he received an e-mail from the OneHancock group offering a $500 to a locally administered heating assistance fund provided $1,000 is raised from elsewhere. He said he is not sure how the town would officially raise the funding or administer such a program.

Jo said she's interested, but some group would have to raise the funds. There was a discussion about having the funding go to the Washington/Hancock Community Agency THAW fund.

Walter Grenier said if the Selectmen were looking for someone to help, he would offer to do that. He said he recently helped raise $20,000 for the WHCA program. Selectmen asked Stu to e-mail OneHancock to see if THAW could administer the funding, and to inquire from the City of Ellsworth how their local heating assistance program works. Ms. Gaianguest said she would work with Mr. Grenier and with the fuel buyers' group on the effort.

School Budget Validation Referendum – Gordon Donaldson dropped off the warrant that was signed by the School Committee at its meeting being held simultaneously to this meeting. Jo moved to sign the school budget validation referendum warrant for June 10, 2014. Nathan 2nd . Vote in favor was 5-0. Stu said absentee ballots need to be available with the primary ballots either tomorrow or Monday, but the ballots cannot be cast until after the budget meeting on May 22, 2014.

County Charter - Stu reported the MDI League of Towns has been discussing the possibility of having Hancock County's Commissioners explore forming a charter committee. He noted that several League members are signing resolutions to express support for the effort and that a man from Brooklin has been spearheading the idea and if the Commissioners turn it down, it could be the subject of a petition. He said he could draw up a similar resolve for a future meeting.

Memorial Day Service – Jo asked if there was going to be a Memorial Day service. Gary said that was the plan. Stu said he would gladly provide the sound system again.

Next Meeting – The next regular meeting will follow the special town meeting on May 22, 2014 at approximately 7:30 PM. The bulk of that meeting will be the public hearing on the Building and Land Use Ordinance referendum question. Regular meetings are also planned for June 12, June 26, July 17, August 14, September 11 and September 25.

Executive Session – Gary moved to enter executive session pursuant to 1MRSA §405(6)(a) to discuss a personnel matter – Code Enforcement Officer performance review. Nathan 2nd . In at 8:25 PM. Out at 8:52 PM.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:52 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Stu Marckoon, Administrative Assistant