Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Home
Town Hall
School
Fire Department
Boards
Calendars
Newly Added

Lamoine Board of Selectmen

 
 
Jo Cooper
Gary McFarland
Bernie Johnson
Nathan Mason
Heather Fowler
 
Minutes - April 30, 2015

Chair Gary McFarland called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM

Present were:  Selectmen S. Josephine Cooper, Gary McFarland, Bernie Johnson, Nathan Mason; Administrative Assistant Stu Marckoon, Joint Municipal Board Shellfish Rep. Richard Fennelly Jr., Recreation Committee chair Greg Stone, Code Enforcement Officer Michael Jordan, Plowing Contractor Richard McMullen, Fire Chief George “Skip” Smith, Kathleen Rybarz and Catherine deTuede.  Selectman Heather Fowler had informed the board prior to the meeting that she would be unable to attend.

Agenda Review - No changes were proposed to the printed agenda.  There was no addendum.

Minutes – April 9, 2015 – Nathan moved to approve the minutes as written.  Bernie 2nd.  Vote in favor was 4-0.

Expenditure Warrant 21 – Selectmen had signed the warrant individually on April 23, 2015 in the amount of $111,233.09.   There were no questions about the warrant.

Expenditure Warrant 22 – Selectmen signed warrant 22 in the amount of $157,743.43.  Stu noted that roughly $144,000 was for the school department, the biggest bill being the MDI High School tuition bill. 

Cash & Budget Reports – Stu noted there is a large amount in the checking account as he has not transferred any over in anticipation of large school expenditures.  Jo asked about the percentage of revenue collected for education.  Stu said more has come in than expected. Jo noted the report said zero-percent.  Stu said that was a formula error and he can fix that for next meeting.

Boat Loan – Gary said The First has offered a loan at 2.04%, which is lower than the interest rate projected at town meeting.  Bernie moved to authorize Stu to arrange for the loan at The First.  Nathan 2nd.  Vote in favor was 4-0.

Meeting with Plowing Contractor – Gary said the current plow contract has a year left, but a 2-year extension is possible if both parties desire.  Richard asked whether the Selectmen have decided to extend his contract or to put it out to bid, and if there is an extension would it be one year, or two years, and what the price might be.  He said he would be open to looking into a salt-priority program which would involve pre-wetting the salt and pre-treating roads.  He asked if the town wished to go that direction.  Nathan asked if that meant Mr. McMullen would need new equipment.  Richard said some of the trucks might need tanks and pumps, and he would have to purchase brine.  He said he would like to see how Bar Harbor does its’ salt priority program. 

Nathan asked if Mr. McMullen was willing to go in that direction.  Mr. McMullen said there is an up-front cost concern.  Bernie asked if salt priority is an environmental concern.  Stu said he attended the salt priority class and said it ends up being a lower operating cost, better for the environment, and more effective at removing ice from the roads.  Bernie asked about sand use.  Richard said it’s likely sand would have to be put down 5-to-6 times are year when there is glare ice and it’s so cold the salt doesn’t work well. 

Nathan thanked Mr. McMullen for an excellent job this past winter.  Gary said the Selectmen would have to look at the contract.  Stu said the contract could be extended up to 2-years longer and negotiate the price for the final two years.  Discussions followed on the salt priority program, negotiating the final two years of the contract, and what kind of vehicle damage is done by salt priority vs. salt/sand.

Gary instructed Mr. McMullen to pursue the cost of an equipment upgrade and to come back to the Selectmen and negotiate an extension.   Nathan said he was open to it, provided it is not cost prohibitive.  Jo asked if salt priority would be any time saving for the crew.  Mr. McMullen says he’s been using 3 trucks with a 10-mile route each.  He said he can’t shorten the length, but that salt/sand application does take longer to clean up the roads than just salt. A discussion followed on getting back together in July to talk about things.  Stu asked if the escalator in the contract might kick in from last winter.  Mr. McMullen said they were out 53-times, but the price of diesel was down sharply.

Lamoine Beach Closure – Richard Fennelly Jr., Lamoine’s representative on the Joint Municipal Shellfish Board, reported that the Maine Department of Marine Resources has been taking samples from Lamoine Beach that showed pollution over the limits for a while now.  He distributed maps that showed the shellfish closure area.  He said the 7-towns in the ordinance region are all struggling with pollution closures.  He said Trenton has been repairing two failed septic systems which might be a point source for a pollution closure, but tests show the closed area is still testing high.

Mr. Fennelly said Martin’s Cove and Weir Cove are still closed, as is Mud Creek.  He said there has been no luck in finding point sources for those closures.  He said the Town of Bar Harbor has a huge pollution closure.  He said the clam diggers keep losing more and more flats, and that affects some 70-people trying to make a living. He asked if the town could be more aggressive in trying to find the source of the pollution while keeping private property concerns in mind.  He said the town recently had one system fixed which is a slim possibility of a pollution source.

Gary asked how long after repairing a source could the flats reopen.  Mr. Fennelly said it could take a year.  Jo said there must be some way to invoke repairs but expressed concern about over regulation.  Richard said he thinks the state could come in and search for a source, but the town might want to do it first.  Skip Smith asked if the town can observe things from town owned property.  A discussion followed.

Nathan asked if the pollution closures all have to do with septic systems. Mr. Fennelly said the closures are primarily due to fecal coliform.  Gary asked whether it was human or dog waste that is showing up.  Mr. Fennelly said he didn’t think it was dog waste.  A brief discussion followed about dogs at Lamoine Beach.

Gary asked what the town could do.  Mr. Fennelly said almost every town has closures.  He said the key is to locate the point source.  Jo said this is a health and public safety issue.  Catherin deTuede asked if the town could look at the plumbing permits issued in the area to see how old they are.  Gary said a new system can fail just as easily as an old one.  A brief discussion followed.

Chief Smith suggested sending a letter to property owners in the area asking for permission to check their property.  A brief discussion followed.  Mr. Fennelly said the Clam Conservation Commission is looking at problem areas that have recently developed, and they might wish to talk about it.  Gary suggested sending a letter to each property owner in the mapped closure area asking to check their septic system, letting them know that there is possibly funding available to help with repairs, and asking them to report any septic problems to the town.  A brief discussion followed about the known failed system and whether swimming at Lamoine Beach is affected.  Stu said he would draft a letter for the next meeting.

Recreation Committee – Chairman Greg Stone said the committee felt it was time to let the Selectmen know what they were doing.  He said the committee saw an immediate need for an after school program until the students could get outside, so they put together a quick soccer program.  He said 30-students participated.  He said the future of the Recreation Committee is not to run programs – that would burn out committee members quickly.  He said the plan is to spend time to create partnerships with the towns of Hancock and Trenton and the Downeast Family YMCA and other folks who want to run programs. 

Mr. Stone said Lamoine does not have the critical mass to run things alone, but could create that by teaming up with others.  He said the committee is collecting information about programs and how many kids the town might have.  He said the committee is interested in filling areas where there are no programs, and individual sports often get lost in the shuffle.  He said they are working with the school to begin to offer some opportunities.  He said the goal is to public something to say how to get involved. 

Mr. Stone said he planned to meet with the school board next week to talk about how to work together.  He said they’re also asking what adults are looking for; things like hiking trails and volleyball. He said they look to use what limited facilities the town has, to maintain those facilities and to schedule their use.  He said the committee has no money, but does have a web presence, and they’ve developed a questionnaire for potential coaches and program managers and he hopes they can find some. 

Mr. Stone said the committee has all kinds of ideas, but they can’t do it without people willing to run the programs.  He said it’s strictly volunteer for now.  He said it’s difficult to reach beyond the school to find other adults.  He said Hancock is a great resource as they have far more young people. 

Nathan said transportation is an issue.  He said a few youngsters wanted to play baseball and softball with Hancock’s team, but couldn’t get rides there.  A brief discussion followed.  Mr. Stone said they hope to have a publication ready for late summer.

TV Streaming – Stu reported that a service called Town Hall Streams offers an on-demand system for folks to watch the various meetings.  He said the Technology Committee has looked into it and pending a couple of questions they had, would recommend that the town cable TV system utilize the service at $150/month.  Jo said she liked the idea.  There was a brief discussion and Jo moved to go forward with the Town Hall Streams service pending final approval from the Technology Committee.  Gary 2nd.  Vote in favor was 4-0.

Copier Purchase – Stu reported that the two companies that had offered used copiers opted not to bring them to the town office for a tryout after A-Copi offered a free used copier instead.  He said that copier was now in use and is working just fine and the staff recommends going with the A-Copi offer.  Nathan moved to approve the service contract and free copier offer.  Bernie 2nd.  Vote in favor was 4-0.

Rescue Boat Bids – Selectmen opened two bids for a rescue boat.  Ribcraft bid $89,946 delivered and Zodiac bid $75,234 delivered.  Fire Chief Smith was given the bids to review and will make a recommendation at the next meeting.

Water Monitoring – Stu said MAI Environmental has submitted a proposal to conduct the required landfill well monitoring and it was slightly less than the previous testing two years earlier.  Nathan moved to accept the proposal.  Gary 2nd. Vote in favor was 4-0.

Heating fuel bid – Stu reported that Hancock, Sullivan and the Lamoine School Department have agreed to participate in a joint fuel bid and approved the bid language.  Selectmen authorized Stu to send out the bid without objection.

Town Meeting Warrants – Selectmen signed special town meeting warrants for May 20, 2015 at 6:30 PM to set the School Budget and on June 9, 2015 to hold the school budget validation vote.  Stu said he had offered to moderate the May 20th meeting.

Gravel Ordinance – Stu reported that he, Planning Board chair John Holt and Planning Board secretary Gordon Donaldson have narrowed down the unresolved issues in a new gravel ordinance to 13 items.  He said a joint workshop should be held soon, and the Planning Board meets on Tuesday.

Land Purchase – Stu reported he had a conversation with one of the personal representatives of the land across the street from the town hall and there are some issues within the ownership that may need to be resolved.  He said Albert Frick has sent a proposal to do a soils test and the Selectmen have that with their materials.  Gary said it might be best to put this on hold until the owners decide what to do.  Stu said he would contact Mr. Frick.

Route 3/204 Intersection – Stu reported the reconstruction project starts on Monday, but the traffic light won’t be installed until September.

Paving Bids – Stu reported that bids for paving will be opened on May 6, 2015 at the town hall. 

Road Work – Stu reported he contacted Jay Fowler and Richard McMullen to make some immediate fixes following heavy rains on April 21.  He said he had a list of other fixes to make.  Selectmen had no objection to having the work assigned out.   Jo asked Stu to check the street name sign on Ford Lane.

Next Meetings – The Selectmen will meet on May 14 and 28, June 11 and 25 and set their summer schedule at a later date.

Executive Session – Gary moved to enter executive session pursuant to 1MRSA 405(6)(a) to conduct a job performance review with the Code Enforcement Officer.  Nathan 2nd.  Vote in favor was 4-0 at 8:30 PM.  Out at 9:20 PM.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 9:20 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Stu Marckoon, Adm. Asst. to the Selectmen