Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Home
Town Hall
School
Fire Department
Boards
Calendars
Newly Added

Lamoine Board of Selectmen

 
 
Gary McFarland
Bob Christie Kathleen Rybarz  
 Minutes - October 13, 2016

 

Chairman Gary McFarland called the meeting to order at 6:55 PM, following a special town meeting at the Lamoine Consolidated School.

Present were:  Selectmen Gary McFarland, Bob Christie, Nathan Mason, Kathleen Rybarz, Jo Cooper; Administrative Assistant Stu Marckoon

Agenda Review/Addendum – No changes were proposed to the printed agenda or addendum.

Minutes, September 22, 2016 – Bob moved to approve the minutes as written.  Nathan 2nd.  Vote in favor was 3-0 (Rybarz, Cooper had not yet arrived).

Expenditure Warrant 6 – Selectmen signed the warrant in the amount of $101,151.23.  Bob asked about the payment to a Lamoine VFD member for lights.  Stu reported it was a reimbursement for a purchase of new LED lighting in the back room at the fire station.

Cash & Budget Report – Stu reported that he had not had to transfer any funds from the investment account for the past two warrants thanks to better than anticipated cash flow.  He said the next school payroll will definitely require a transfer.

Checking Account Reconciliation – Stu reported he e-mailed the reconciliation to the board.  Selectmen signed the form expressing satisfaction with their review of the documents.

Resignation – Nathan moved to accept the resignation of Paul Davis as Lamoine’s Representative to the Shellfish Conservation Committee.  Bob 2nd.  Vote in favor was 5-0.

Appointment – Gary moved to appoint Robert Alvarez Jr. as Lamoine’s Representative to the Shellfish Conservation Committee.  Jo 2nd.  Kathleen noted that this was not a normal town appointment and not subject to the appointment policy requiring the position be advertised.  Vote in favor was 5-0.

Gary moved to appoint Chance Day on a probationary basis as the backup to the transfer station manager.  Jo 2nd.  Kathleen said she would like to know a little more about Mr. Day as the job application was not very revealing.  Stu said he would try to get a little more information.  There was a brief discussion about supervision – Stu said he would check in several times on Friday to make sure things are going OK as Mr. Day fills in for Chris Meyer.  Vote in favor was 5-0.

Bob moved to appoint Neila McIntyre as an alternate member of the Lamoine 150 Committee.  Kathleen 2nd.  Jo reported the committee met the previous evening and discussed the size, noting that Ms. McIntyre would be a 6th member. She said the committee did not make a recommendation, but agreed Ms. McIntyre would be a terrific choice.  Vote in favor was 5-0.

Odor at Town Hall – Stu reported the source of a musty odor last week was a dead mouse which was removed by Modern Pest.  He said the air is smelling much better since.

Small Claims Court Date – Stu reported that the small claims court date in the Broughman Builders matter will be moved to January 2017 due to a personal conflict.  He said he would let the board know when that date is set.

MDOT Regional Meeting – Jo reported she attended that meeting the previous evening and found it interesting.  She said it was a planning session, and there was a lot discussion about the impact of the Jackson Lab facility, and found the session fit in with some of the Comprehensive Planning discussion.  She noted that local agencies have found it difficult to hire bus drivers because of the drug testing requirements.

League of Towns – Elected officials meeting – Gary noted the date, October 20, 2016, conflicts with the next Selectmen’s meeting, though the elected officials meeting begins at 5PM at the Somesville Fire Station, and perhaps some Selectmen could attend and leave early. Jo said it’s a good networking opportunity with other towns’ elected officials.

Speeding Complaints – Gary read form a Facebook communication from a Walker Road resident.  Stu reported the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office has put their electronic speed sign on Walker Road currently after placing it on both Birchlawn and Buttermilk Roads.  He said it might be possible to get a report on the speeds recorded by the sign.  A brief discussion followed on making some intersections safer, specifically the intersection of Mill and Walker Roads. This will be placed on a future agenda.

Tree Trimming – Stu reported he drafted a request for bids to trim the trees on Buttermilk Road.  There was no objection to placing the RFP out to bid.

Shore Access – Kathleen reported the subcommittee held its first meeting and there will be minutes soon.  She said they discussed ways to gauge public interest in shore access.  Stu reported that Terry Towne of Maine Coast Heritage Trust wants to speak with the Board in the near future about a land acquisition at Marlboro Beach. A brief discussion of items before the subcommittee followed.

Annual Town Meeting Date – Jo moved to set the 2017 annual town meeting for March 7 (election) and March 8 (open town meeting).  Nathan 2nd.  Vote in favor was 5-0, Selectmen signed an order setting the dates.

Cable TV Operations Manager – Gary moved to appoint Melissa Johnson as the Cable TV operations manager.  Kathleen 2nd.  Mrs. Johnson was present for the special town meeting and helped set up the recording equipment earlier in the evening.  Vote in favor was 5-0.

Audit Contract – Jo moved to renew the audit contract with James Wadman, CPA.  Gary 2nd.  Vote in favor was 5-0.

Administrative Assistant Day Off – Stu reported that he planned to take part of next Tuesday and Wednesday off.  There was no objection.

Other Matters – Kathleen asked that if the marijuana legalization question passes that a future meeting discuss the implications on a local level for things like social clubs. 

Stu said several towns have been using public property for solar arrays thanks to available subsidies.  He said perhaps the landfill area might be an appropriate location.

Jo noted the draft county budget is available and passed around the binder with the budget info in it.  There was a brief discussion about support from the League of Towns and the expansion of the use of the Spillman System for law enforcement and fire departments.

Budget Workshop – Selectmen went into a budget workshop to discuss the first draft of the Administration Budget for FY 2018.

Next Meetings – The Board will meet next one week from this evening (October 20th) with the board chairs of the various committees.  Regular meetings are scheduled for November 3rd and 17th, and December 1st and 15th.  The Board will set January meeting dates at a later date.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:18 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Stu Marckoon, Adm. Asst. to the Selectmen