Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Home
Town Hall
School
Fire Department
Boards
Calendars
Newly Added

Lamoine Board of Selectmen

 
 
Gary McFarland
Bob Christie Kathleen Rybarz  
 Minutes - April 27, 2017

Chair Jo Cooper called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

Present were:  Selectmen S. Josephine Cooper, Bob Christie, Gary McFarland, Nathan Mason (arrived 7:50 PM); Administrative Assistant Stu Marckoon, Code Enforcement Officer Rick Gallegos, and Planning Board Chair John Holt.  Selectman Kathleen Rybarz had phoned the town office earlier in the day to report she was unable to attend.

Agenda Review – No changes were proposed to the agenda or the addendum.

Minutes – April 13, 2017 – Jo noted one typographical error.  Gary moved to approve the minutes with the correction.  Bob 2nd.  Vote in favor was 3-0.

Expenditure Warrant 21 – The three selectmen present signed expenditure warrant 21 in the amount of $166,696.13.  Stu reported that he moved $90,000 from investments into the checking account to cover the warrant.

Cash & Budget Report – Stu reported the town office had been contacted by Emera Maine which will register the Lamoine based trucks in town.  He said that’s more than $12,400 in excise tax revenue that was not anticipated. 

Tax Collector Settlements – Stu reported that tax collector Jennifer Kovacs has met her obligation for 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.  The only outstanding personal property taxes for those years have been referred to the town attorney for collection, and most likely will not be collectible.

Jo moved to sign the settlements with the tax collector for the years above, Gary 2nd. Vote in favor was 3-0, Selectmen signed the settlements.

Town Meeting Order- Gary moved to sign an order to hold a special town meeting on May 31, 2017.  Jo 2nd. Vote in favor was 3-0, Selectmen signed the order.

Draft Warrant – Selectmen reviewed the draft warrant which included the school budget.  Stu noted a 6.5% property tax increase will be needed to fund the education budget.   There were brief discussions regarding tuition and instruction expenses and revenues.  The Budget Committee will review the budget on May 8, 2017.

Mowing – Stu reported the McMullen Landscape has offered the keep mowing prices for the various town owned lawns and parks the same as the past several years.  Gary moved to stick with McMullen, Bob 2nd.  Vote in favor was 3-0.

Digital Sign – Selectmen reviewed a proposal drafted up by Stu on a location and design for the sign.  There was a discussion about the sign size being roughly the same as the Town of Dedham’s sign, and whether the electronic display should be a single color or full color capability.  There was a strong sentiment for a red electronic display.  The board members present discussed waiting for the two members not present to weigh in on the proposed design.  Stu said part of his design includes a raised bed, high enough to protect the sign from damage from snow plowing.

Cable TV Consultation – Stu reported the Technology Committee has recommended to the Selectmen that they contact the Sewall Company in Old Town regarding funding assistance to build out cable service to un-served areas such as Partridge Cove, Eagle Point, the end of Seal Point Road and the Wolf Development.  There was no objection from the Selectmen present. 

Security Camera – Bloomfield Park – Jo noted that at the last meeting the Parks Commission wanted to know if installing a security camera would be allowed.  Stu said the only thing he could find on the Maine Municipal Association Website was advice on whether security footage is a public record.  He said he was unsure of the practicality of installing one as there is no electricity to the park. 

Bob said the thinned out area at the park looks very nice, but it would be tough to have a solar powered camera because of the tree cover.  There was a brief discussion about game cameras.  Jo said she had no objection to the Parks Commission investigating the possibilities, but the board would not approve anything until the cost is known.  A brief discussion followed.  Stu said he would communicate to the Parks Commission to ask them to investigate the logistics and cost and come up with a proposal.

Shore Road Repair – Stu reported that for years, the northbound lane of the western end of Shore Road has a rutting problem in the winter.  He said he asked Jay Fowler to look into the issue and it was discovered that the side of the paved road had inadequate soil; clay that froze and heaved.  The estimate to repair 150-feet was $1,260.  He said Mr. Fowler estimated 300-feet was poor.  He recommended that Mr. Fowler be contracted to excavate the entire 300-feet and replace the poor soil with adequate material.  Gary so moved.  Bob 2nd.  Vote in favor was 3-0.

Cable TV Franchise Agreement – Stu reported the latest CTV proposed franchise renewal offer from Charter/Spectrum was in and walked the Board through the contentious areas, including density, franchise fees, the number of PEG channels, and which public buildings to include in the service list. He asked the Board to review the document which has also been sent via e-mail to the Technology Committee.

Joint Heating Fuel Bid – Selectmen had no objection to the RFP for heating fuel for next season for the towns of Hancock, Sullivan and Lamoine as well as the Lamoine and Hancock Schools.  Jo noted that Lamoine has taken the lead on the joint bid for a few years.

Other business – Stu reported that the tax collector in Hancock had died suddenly and he expressed condolences to the Town Administrator. 

Stu reported that a duct work contractor would be working to move the cold air return at the town office around the first week of May for an estimated $500.

Next Meetings – The Board will hold its next regular meeting on May 11, 2017 the on May 18, 2017 meet with board chairs and department heads.  The plans for the May 18th meeting will be made on May 11th. The Board will meet after the special town meeting on May 31st, jointly with the Comprehensive Planning Committee on June 8th, and again on June 22nd.   The July meeting will be on the 20th, and the meeting date for August will be determined at a future date, as the Administrative Assistant has a conflict on the 10th.

Executive Session – Jo moved to go into executive session pursuant to 1 MRSA 405(6)(a) to discuss a personnel matter.  Gary 2nd.  Vote was 3-0 in favor at 7:45 PM.  Selectman Mason joined the executive session at approximately 7:50 PM.  Out at 8:43 PM.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:44 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

 

Stu Marckoon, Adm. Asst. to the Selectmen