Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Town Hall
Fire Department
Newly Added

Lamoine Board of Selectmen

Gary McFarland
Bob Christie Kathleen Rybarz  
Minutes - January 24, 2019


Chairman Nathan Mason called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM.


Present were Selectmen Robert Christie, Nathan Mason, S. Josephine Cooper, Kathleen Rybarz, Gary McFarland (arrived at 7:11 due to trees blocking roads); Administrative Assistant Stu Marckoon, Stewart Workman, Michael Jordan and John Whitney (briefly).


Agenda Review – Bob suggested moving appointment of a community center committee to appear with the follow up to the community center meeting item.


Minutes – January 10, 2019 – Kathleen moved to approve.  Jo 2nd.  Vote in favor was 4-0 (McFarland had not yet arrived).


Expenditure Warrant 16 – Selectmen signed the warrant in the amount of $131,878.42.  Stu noted that several tax liens had been paid during the day.


Cash & Budget Report – Stu remarked there are no red flags other than knowing the Code Enforcement Budget will exceed the town meeting authorized amount.


Tax Liens 2016/17 – Stu reviewed several parcels that have not yet been paid and are likely to foreclose.  Kathleen moved to authorize the treasurer to discharge tax liens collected prior to the automatic foreclosure date and prior to the next warrant signing.  Jo 2nd.  Vote in favor was 5-0.


Excise Tax Quarterly Report – Stu said there were no surprises in the excise tax collections for the calendar year 2018.


Fund Adjustments – Stu reported that now that the audit is complete, several fund adjustments should be made so that the cash account coincides with the June 30, 2018 fund balance amount.  There was no objection to doing so.


Planning Board Appointment – Alternate Member – Kathleen said she heard from two people who were interested, but one withdrew their name.  Jo said there is someone interested who has come to the meeting tonight.  Kathleen said she didn’t realize that tonight was an absolute deadline.  Bob asked if there was a statutory mandate to fill the vacancy left by the resignation last meeting.  Stu said there is not, but he had placed the advertisement with a date of last night to get in touch with the town hall.  Bob said he’d had someone get in touch with him and did not realize that there was a deadline.  A brief discussion followed.


Gary said he’d like to hear from Stewart Workman why he would like to serve as an alternate member of the board.  Mr. Workman said he moved to Lamoine in the early 1990s and has raised children and now grand children here. He said he has grown a business in town and would like to give back to the community.  He said he has some experience with purchasing properties.  He said he is pro clean business and residential properties.  He said he would keep the town’s best interest in the decisions he might make.  He said it’s his first time seeking a public appointment and he would take time to learn the job. 


Kathleen asked Mr. Workman how he had heard about the opening.  Mr. Workman said he’d heard about the opportunity and asked Stu Marckoon about it.  Jo asked if there is training available.  Stu said there was.  Jo noted that she works with Mr. Workman’s wife on various boards and she’s terrific. 


Kathleen said Ray Apel had expressed interest to her about the opening.    Gary moved to appoint Mr. Workman as the alternate member to fill out the unexpired term of David Legere.  Jo 2nd.  Vote was 3-1 in favor (Rybarz opposed, Christie abstained).   Bob said he abstained because he didn’t realize what the deadline was, but he was not opposed to Mr. Workman’s appointment.  Kathleen said she was opposed because of the timing issue.  A brief discussion followed on items that Mr. Workman might need to recuse himself from acting upon.


Lighting Upgrade – Nathan said he upgraded his shop with LED lighting through Efficiency Maine.  Gary said he had used them as well.  After a brief discussion, Jo moved to accept the proposal to upgrade the lighting at the town hall from Efficiency Maine.  Gary 2nd.  Vote in favor was 5-0.


Speed Sign Holder – The board reviewed the proposed holder for the speed monitoring display sign from Dual Fire Forge.  Nate it should be of an adjustable height.  Bob moved to accept the bid with any change for adjustability.  Gary 2nd.  There was a brief discussion regarding any additional cost for adjustability.  Vote in favor was 5-0.  A brief discussion followed on data collection.


Community Center – Stu said he’d drafted a mission statement/committee structure document.  Jo said she thought the committee’s mission should be broader.  After some discussion, it was decided that there needed to be a slight re-wording of the statement.


Bob said he would like to see a list of candidates and discussion about who should lead the group.  Kathleen suggested putting out another call to see what interest there would be.  The Board will discuss this item again at their next meeting.


Town Report Draft – Selectmen reviewed their report and the “in memory of” section”.  Kathleen asked about the order of the in memory of.  Stu said it was in order of date of death.  Kathleen noted one was out of order. 


Selectmen were asked to make suggestions for citizen of the year.  Stu made one suggestion.  That will be decided at the next meeting.


Town Meeting Warrant – Stu said he had not placed a revised Harbor Ordinance on the warrant yet, waiting to hear from the Harbor Master.  Nathan said if there are no further changes to the draft and the Harbor Master accepts the language, it could be included on the warrant. 


Jo asked about funding for the Lamoine 150! Celebration.  She noted that they would like to have fireworks and they are expensive.  She suggested increasing the amount to $10,000.  After much discussion, it was decided additional funds could be sought in the 2020/21 budget.


Nathan asked about the playground proposal at Lamoine Beach.  Kathleen said that’s a pass through cost as fund raising is planned.  Stu said there is offsetting money from the Hodgkins fund that will cover the expected expenses.  A brief discussion followed.


There was a brief discussion about the budget recommendations from the Selectmen, and a remark that budgets can be amended by the town meeting.  Selectmen also asked when copies of the Comprehensive Plan would be ready for review.  Stu said the final draft is on the town’s website and the committee plans to print up more, soon.


Lamoine 150 – Jo said they are firming up the calendar.  She said a logo contest is coming right up.  She said it will have some parameters and the deadline to submit is May 27th.  She said they plan to do publicity each month and mentioned a set of postcards to publicize events.  She said the celebration is shaping up to be amazing. 


Kathleen asked about a re-enactment of the first town meeting.  A brief discussion followed on the town’s early history.  Jo said the events will be a good opportunity to build town spirit and have a homecoming of sort.


Vandalism – Stu reported that someone had fired three bullets into the town office, causing damage.  Nate said that was awful and he hopes law enforcement catches whoever did it.  Jo said she was concerned for the people working at the office.  She said it was thoughtless and stupid.


Stu said the Sheriff’s Department suggested installing a security camera or a web cam.  Bob asked Stu what his thoughts were on the matter.  Stu said he considered it stupid and dangerous vandalism.  Jo said she was mad. She said a thoughtless act costs the town money. 


Stu said he was impressed by the swift response of the Sheriff’s Department. He said he planned to contact the insurance company and asked what the Board’s thoughts were on a web camera.  Nathan said he’s not necessarily in favor. After a brief discussion, it was agreed to place this on a future agenda.


Cupola Repair – Mike Jordan said he noticed the article in the quarterly about the roof leak, so he went upstairs and took pictures inside the cupola.  He said the louver slats are starting to rot, and that lets in the rain.  He said the rain is currently being caught by buckets.  He said the louvers need to be repaired, and he’s not sure how easy that will be.  Nathan asked if the roof is structurally sound.  Mr. Jordan said it is, just the slats are rotting, and a carpenter can fix that.  Stu said he would recommend that facilities maintenance director Rick Gallegos and Mr. Jordan work together to assess and fix the situation.


(At some point the power went out due to a fierce wind and rain storm, but the generator came on and the meeting paused only briefly)


Raise the Floor – Stu reported he received an update from Mark Robinson of Fayette.  He said there have been several education funding bills submitted, including the raise the floor effort.  He said Mr. Robinson is looking for someone to represent Lamoine to speak to the Legislature when the bill comes to hearing.  He said he would recommend Katrina Kane, the Superintendent of Schools. There was no objection.  Stu said he would e-mail her.


Memorial Service – Gary reminded the meeting that a memorial service for Lamoine resident Terry Bragdon would be held this coming Sunday at 2PM at the Lamoine Baptist Church.


Road Conditions – Bob expressed concern about the rapidly deteriorating conditions of Route 184.  He said he would like to convey to the MDOT to “do it right”.  Stu said the Board could contact Representative Hubbell or Senator Luchini.  He said MDOT plans to do extensive drainage work on both Route 184 and Route 204 in the summer of 2019 and to pave both roads in 2020.


Next Meetings – Stu said he has a minor conflict on February 7th and might be a few minutes late.  Selectmen agreed to start the meeting at 7:15 PM.


Municipal Election – Kathleen noted that no one has taken out papers to run for Assessor yet.


There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:40 PM.


Respectfully submitted,




Stu Marckoon, Adm. Asst. to the Selectmen