Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Home
Town Hall
School
Fire Department
Boards
Calendars
Newly Added

Lamoine Board of Selectmen

 
 
Gary McFarland
Bob Christie Kathleen Rybarz  
 Minutes - June 6, 2018

The meeting came to order initially at 6:00 PM. 

 

Present were: Selectmen Kathleen Rybarz, Gary McFarland, Robert Christie, S. Josephine Cooper; Administrative Assistant Stu Marckoon.

 

It was moved and 2nd to enter executive session pursuant to 1 MRSA 405(6)(f) for the purposes of awarding the Hodgkins Trust scholarships. Vote in favor was 4-0.  Out at 6:25 PM.

 

Fire Chief George “Skip” Smith arrived at the meeting

 

It was moved and 2nd to enter executive session pursuant to 1 MRSA 405(6)(a) to enter executive session to discuss a personnel matter.   Vote in favor was 4-0.  Out at 6:43 PM.

 

REGULAR MEETING

 

Chair Bob Christie called the regular meeting to order at 7:00 PM. 

 

In addition to those present at the initial call to order, also in attendance were Wayne Lawrence, Carol Korty and Animal Control Officer Shannon Byers.   Selectman Nathan Mason was unable to attend and had notified the board prior to the meeting.

 

Agenda Review – No changes were made to the printed agenda or addendum.

 

Minutes – May 23, 2019 – Gary moved to approve the minutes as printed.  Jo 2nd.  Vote in favor was 4-0.

 

Expenditure Warrant 26 – Selectmen signed the warrant in the amount of $106,755.53.  Stu reported that he moved $50,000 from investments to checking to cover the warrant.  He noted the $8,000 payment made to the fire department paid the town’s 2019 share of airpacks that were purchased from the City of Ellsworth earlier in the week.

 

Cash & Budget Report – Bob inquired about the Parks Budget and expenses being lower than budgeted.  Stu said there will be some mowing and trash removal costs for the last two months of the year.

 

Checking Account Reconciliation – Selectmen signed the statement expressing satisfaction with the checking account reconciliation which had been sent via e-mail prior to the meeting.

 

Outstanding Uncollectible Taxes & Demolition Debris bill – Stu explained that there are two personal property tax bills from years past that are not able to be collected and a demolition debris bill from 10-years ago that also is unable to be collected.  He recommended that the Board declare the bills uncollectible pursuant to title 36 MRSA 760-A because they are burdensome or too small.  Gary so moved, Jo 2nd.  Vote in favor was 4-0, Selectmen signed an order indicating such.

 

Special Town Meeting Warrant for June 20, 2019 – Jo moved to sign a special town meeting warrant to begin at 7PM on June 20, 2019 for the purpose of funding repairs to the Fire Department’s ladder truck, and to approve sale of a piece of tax acquired property.  Gary 2nd.  Vote in favor was 4-0, Selectmen signed several copies of the warrant.

 

Request from Lamoine Community Arts re: funding for Grange Hall parking area repairs – Carol Korty introduced herself and Wayne Lawrence as members of Lamoine Community Arts (LCA).  She said the condition of the parking lot at the Lamoine / Bayside Grange surprised them, and noted that people had to be towed out of the muck at the 2018 candidates’ night.  She said it is no longer a year round parking lot.   She said LCA has contracted with Jay Fowler to fix it, as he has helped in the past. 

 

Ms. Korty said it’s an expensive project that they plan to accomplish in 3-phases, the first being to slope and to add gravel.  She said LCA is putting $10,000 into the project, the Grange $300, and they’d like to ask if the town could put $3,000 in.  She said both organizations serve the community, and other organizations use the parking area, including the fire department which has a water tank and hydrant.  She said the Grange has become a bigger part of the community, and a lot of LCA members have joined the Grange.  She said they hold blood drives at the facility.  She said they would like to install raised beds and involve school children in the project.  She said Chuck Weber’s farm wagon is also located on the lot, and the town should put some money into it.  She said they plan to ask several banks for support, and the banks often ask who else is supporting.   She said the LCA money was raised at various performances.

 

Bob said he was impressed by how much LCA has raised.  Ms. Korty said LCA has a 3-year lease with the Grange with a 1-year renewal or termination notice.  Bob asked how much has been raised for building renovations.   Mr. Lawrence answered about $45,000 thus far.  Ms. Korty said the parking lot is the first project beyond the building, then a furnace replacement, a chimney job, more electrical work and adding a bathroom.  She said LCA would appreciate $3,000.00.

 

Jo said the facility is not municipally owned property, and this would likely have to go before town meeting.  She said she’s not opposed to the concept, and noted it seems to be a common area.

 

Stu said it is illegal to spend public money on private property.  Jo suggested that the organizations make a 3rd party funding request for the annual town meeting and a short discussion on the process followed.  Stu said it appears the request is coming from the wrong organization, as the Grange owns the property, not LCA.  He suggested that maybe the Grange and the Fire Department could request some funding for repairs around the fire hydrant which would be an appropriate use of town funds.

 

Bob said that the request should not be from LCA.  He said he likes the work that has been done on the building, and said it appears the money is in place for the first phase.  Stu said a town meeting vote must approve any town funding, and suggested that the Grange talk with the fire chief about requesting a town meeting to deal with parking area repairs around the fire hydrant.  A brief discussion followed about the Grange.

 

Ms. Korty inquired about adding an exit onto the existing roads.  Stu said the Maine DOT controls the Route 184 side of the lot.  He said if an exit is to be added onto Shore Road, that would be a local road opening permit.

 

Road Name – Stu reported that owner of the just approved storage facility project has requested the name Coronado Drive for the road to serve those buildings.  Gary moved to approve the name, Jo 2nd.  Kathleen asked why it needed a name.  Stu explained that it will serve more than one building, and they’ll each need an address.  Vote in favor was 4-0.

 

Lamoine 150! – Jo reported that new logo for the event will be unveiled at Noon on June 15, 2019 at the town hall.  Stu said he could schedule the TV to come on at that time.

 

Appointment List – Kathleen said she would have preferred the list to have come to the Board earlier to give more time to recruit if there are board members who wish not to be reappointed.   Bob noted that he would not be in attendance on June 20th.  There was no desire from the board to not reappoint any current personnel or board members.

 

Heating Fuel – Stu reported that he had planned to put bids for heating fuel on the addendum for the meeting, but that Superintendent of Schools Katrina Kane contacted him earlier today and said that Acadia Fuel was offering to supply propane and #2 fuel significantly less than the current fiscal year.  He said he supplied numbers to Superintendent Kane to be included in the offer and asked if the Selectmen would authorize him to approve the agreement with Acadia Fuel.  Gary so moved, Kathleen 2nd, Vote in favor was 4-0.

 

Shooting Incident – Stu reported a resident of Coolidge Crossing left a message last weekend about his home getting hit by a bullet and requesting some sort of local ordinance to regulate shooting in that area.  He said another person from that neighborhood stopped by with a similar request. He said he mentioned to both parties that state law carries prohibitions on shooting too close to a home, and that Lamoine does not have local law enforcement to uphold such an ordinance.  He said the person whose home was struck did call law enforcement and the Sheriff’s Department found the person who allegedly fired the shot. Bob said several people use local gravel pits for shooting activity.  He asked if this was on the addendum as an FYI.  Stu said that was correct.

 

Comprehensive Plan – Bob reported that the town received the e-mail from the state that rejected part of the plan and made recommendations.  He said the Comp Plan Committee will meet on June 19th and he was sure that Fred Stocking would welcome comment in regard to the state’s suggestions.

 

Next Meetings – The Board will meet at 6:30 PM on June 20, 2019 for a job performance review then the special town meeting at 7PM followed by the regular meeting.  The Board will hold regular meetings on July 11 and August 15. 

 

Executive Session – Kathleen moved to enter executive session pursuant to 1 MRSA 405(6)(a) to meet with the Animal Control Officer for the purposes of job performance and contract negotiations.  Gary 2nd.  Vote in favor was 4-0.  In at 7:50 PM, out at 8:17 PM. 

 

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:19 PM.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Stu Marckoon, Adm. Asst. to the Selectmen