Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Home
Town Hall
School
Fire Department
Boards
Calendars
Newly Added

Lamoine Board of Selectmen

 
Gary McFarland
Bob Christie Kathleen Rybarz  
 Minutes - March 5, 2020

 

Deputy Town Clerk/Administrative Assistant to the Selectmen Stu Marckoon called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

 

Present were:  Selectmen S. Josephine Cooper, Robert Christie, Kathleen Rybarz, Gary McFarland, Nathan Mason; Administrative Assistant Stu Marckoon; Chip Reeves (CES Engineering), Ken Smith, Appeals Board member Michael Jordan, and Comprehensive Planning Committee member Kathy Gaianguest.

 

Newly re-elected Selectman Nathan Mason swore his oath of office to Stu.

 

Selection of Board Chair 2020/21 – Nathan moved to re-elect Bob as the chair.  Gary 2nd.  Jo said Bob did an excellent job in the past year, but she would like to nominate Kathleen as the chair.  Bob 2nd that nomination.  A discussion followed on rotating the board chairmanship.  Kathleen said she would love the opportunity to serve as chair.  Vote for Bob as chair – 2 votes.  (Mason, McFarland)  Vote for Kathleen as chair – 3 votes (Cooper Christie, Rybarz).  Bob thanked the board for the opportunity to serve as chair for the past year and thanked Nathan in particular for bringing up the Emergency Operations Plan.

 

At this point Kathleen took over as chair.

 

Vice Chair – Jo nominated Gary as vice chair.  Nathan 2nd.  Vote in favor was 4-0 (McFarland abstained)

 

Agenda Review – No changes were made to the printed agenda or addendum.

 

Minutes – February 20, 2020 – Bob moved to approve the minutes as written.  Jo 2nd.  Vote in favor was 5-0.

 

Expenditure Warrant 20 – Selectmen signed the warrant in the amount of $527,791.58.  Stu reported $400,000 was a transfer to investments and $99,000 or so was for school expenses.

 

Cash & Budget – Stu reported property taxes were due last Friday and collections were pretty good, though not 100% of taxes will come in.  He said revenues are in good shape, as is cash flow.

 

Checking Account Reconciliation – Selectmen signed the statement expressing satisfaction with their examination of the checking account reconciliation for February 2020 which had been e-mailed prior to the meeting.

 

Tax Acquired Property – Stu reported that the Watts heirs have paid their installment agreement in full, finally and he will prepare a quit claim deed for the next meeting.  He said he’s not heard anything from the parties on the three properties foreclosed upon in January.

 

Meeting with Chip Reeves (CES) – Transfer Station Concept Design – Nathan said the meeting request came from reviewing the plan presented at the previous meeting.  Kathleen said that particular plan looked pretty expensive.  Mr. Reeves said he was following what the Request for Proposals had indicated.  He said he discounted an idea submitted by Chris Meyer as it was too big.  He said they were at the point of final concept design when Stu invited him to the meeting to look at other options.  He said the idea they were following was based on Ken Smith’s ideas.  Mr. Smith said that his was based on the layout of the Otisfield facility, which is a more expensive approach.  A brief discussion followed regarding concept designs.

 

Nathan said the initial concept is something that would be a tough sell to the town.  He asked how the facility might expand down the road without a structure.  Mr. Reeves said the goal is to maximize savings from reducing hauling costs.  He asked if anyone had done a cost-benefit analysis that included trip reduction. Stu said the stated goal was correct, but there has not been a cost-benefit analysis done.

 

Mr. Reeves asked what would be a reasonable sell to the town.  He said adding compactors is going to increase wait time for users.  Bob said traffic safety is a major consideration, and slowing traffic down is not necessarily a bad thing. 

 

Jo asked if there is really a need for two compactors.  Mr. Reeves said several communities are doing a single sort operation with MSW and recycling. He said the Lamoine setup with separation of MSW and recyclables would require two compactors.  Nathan said perhaps compaction could start with the recycling only. 

 

Mr. Reeves said there is plenty of room at the site.  Discussion followed about a phased in approach for first recycling compaction and eventually expanding to MSW compaction.  He said it’s important to monitor what goes into the compactors.  He said glass was a problem at the Bar Harbor facility.  He said perhaps the town could look at a full buildout and a phased approach.  Discussion followed about separating recyclables and traffic flow, 3-phase power and a control room.  Mr. Reeves said a toilet/wash facility could be a possibility with the effluent going into a leachate collection system that is pumped periodically. 

 

Mr. Reeves said his company has spent a fair amount of time and money thus far on the plan that was preliminarily submitted and this may put it over budget.  Mr. Smith said he things the phased concept is the right way to approach things. Mr. Reeves said that they could come up with a master plan.  Stu said the upcoming town meeting will request more design money for the 2020/21 budget.

 

Annual Policies – Nathan moved to approve the Disbursement Policy.  Bob 2nd.  Vote in favor was 5-0.

 

Nathan moved to approve the Mileage Reimbursement Policy as written.  Gary 2nd.  Vote in favor was 5-0.

 

Nathan moved to approve the Selectmen Practices and Procedures Policy as written.  Gary 2nd.  Vote in favor was 5-0.

 

Gary moved to approve the fees as written.  Nathan 2nd.  Vote in favor was 5-0.

 

Emergency Operations Plan Update – Kathleen said she sent a memo to the board prior to the meeting.  She said she looked at the draft plan and suggested several minor changes.  She said she would like more time for discussion.  Jo said a work group to review and revise is a good idea.  Kathleen said she spoke with Kathie Gaianguest and Bob Christie.  She asked about flood maps.  Stu said the FEMA maps are produced by the State and Federal Government and are not part of the EOP. 

 

Jo said discussion of the plan is timely given the COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak around the world.  She said that in the past the town has been involved in helping to come up with an Emergency Operations Plan for the school. 

 

Kathleen said the Hancock County Plan has a lot more in it than Lamoine, including maritime disasters and items at the airport.  She said communications is something to look at closely.   Bob said people need to trust the information that the town might be putting out. 

 

Jo asked if the current plan was developed after the 1998 Ice Storm.  Stu said it was well after that event.  Nathan said he doesn’t want to see updating the plan become overly burdensome, and he’s not sure that the town plan needs as much as the county plan.  A brief discussion followed.  Jo said she would like to have a time certain to update the current plan.  Bob suggested doing the upgrades now and correct what can be corrected and keep looking at the document yearly.  Jo noted that such plans quickly go out of date, but the plan is worth looking at. 

 

Stu said having multiple people working on a large document can quickly become confusing and burdensome and urged that only one document be worked on.  The board asked that this be on the agenda for the next meeting.  Kathi Gaianguest said the board could pinpoint certain areas to update periodically.

 

Returnables Jo moved to award the proceeds from the transfer station returnables to the Frenchman Bay Riders for June 2020 and the Historical Society for July 2020.  Gary 2nd.  Vote in favor was 5-0.

 

Elections – Stu reported that the turnout for the March 3, 2020 primary/town meeting election was far greater than the Secretary of State’s office had projected.  He said they had printed town ballots on the state projection and had to print a lot more on Election Day.  He said they (and most other towns) also ran out of Democrat primary ballots and had to print more.  He said that he and Jennifer worked steady to change enrollments and register new voters for much of the day as well.   All four candidates who ran as unopposed incumbents easily won re-election to town office.

 

Town Meeting Power Point – Stu said he finished up the power point presentation earlier in the day and asked Selectmen to review the printed slides and send in corrections.

 

Blunt’s Pond Property Donation – Stu reported that Judy Whitcomb had called last week and said the closing on the property donation is coming soon.  He said that she wanted to let the Selectmen know the family wants to put up a sign identifying the donated area as Whitcomb Woods with signs underneath explaining the donation.  There was no objection from Selectmen.

 

Appeals Board – Member Michael Jordan reported to the Selectmen that the Appeal Board will meet on March 25, 2020 to continue hearing the Moldawer vs. CEO appeal. 

 

Interrogatories – Stu said that town attorney Dan Pileggi asked if he should prepare the town response to interrogatories in the MacQuinn FOAA case.  He said a Selectman would have to sign it.  Jo moved to have the town attorney do that and that the chair sign the final product.  Bob 2nd.  Vote in favor was 5-0.  Stu said he would let Kathleen know when they were ready to sign.

 

Revenue Sharing – Stu reported the 2020/21 projections are out, and Lamoine’s revenue sharing is projected to more than double from the current year projection.

 

Lamoine 150! – Jo said the birthday celebration on March 1, 2020 was a great success and well attended by a wide demographic.  She said there were lots of pictures taken, along with video recordings.

 

Jo said “Joshua Chamberlain” (a.k.a. Gordon Donaldson) would make another appearance before the annual town meeting on March 18th.  She said the school will sell subs prior to the meeting starting around 4:30 PM.  She said some sort of ceremony marking the 1st town meeting would begin at 5:30 followed by the Citizen of the Year presentation.  She suggested Selectmen arrive by 5PM. 

 

Jo said she’s getting nervous about the parade planned for August 15th.  She said the committee will meet next week.  She said overall the celebrations have been very positive.  She said that John Holt will do a presentation on the families of Lamoine on April 15th.

 

Public Comment/Other – Kathleen said she’d like to have a public comment period at the end of meetings to find out what’s on the minds of those attending. 

 

Bob asked about the Hodgkins Scholarship.  Stu said the application deadline is June 1st. 

  

Bob noted ticks are already bad this season.  He noted that the University of Maine will test for bacteria and 40% of those tests are positive for Lyme disease. A brief discussion followed about tick borne diseases.

 

Stu reported that he would be out of the office from April 14 through the 16th, but back late in the day on the 16th.

 

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:24 PM>

 

Respectfully submitted,

  

Stu Marckoon, Adm. Asst. to the Selectmen