Town of Lamoine, Maine
The Official Website of Lamoine's Town Government
Help Wanted - Deputy Harbor Master
The Town of Lamoine is accepting applications for the position of Deputy Harbor Master. The deadline for applications is Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 4:00 PM. The Deputy Harbor Master assists the Harbor Master in enforcement of Lamoine's Harbor Ordinance, assisting boaters at the Lamoine Harbor at Lamoine State Park . The individual filling this position is expected to attend the annual Harbor Master's Conference for training and certification. A copy of the job description and application are available from the Lamoine Town Office on request, or at the town website ( www.lamoine-me.gov ) This is a stipend paid position ($250/annually).
The Harbor Master is a position appointed by the Selectmen to a term of at least one year. He is responsible for enforcing all laws in the waterways of Lamoine, State & Local.
Specifically the Harbor Master shall:
1. Recommend regulations and rules designed to keep open convenient channels for passage of vessels in harbors and waterways located in Lamoine.
2. Enforce State laws and local ordinances and regulations adopted by the Municipal Officers.
3. Maintain a map of said anchorages approved by the Harbor Master.
4. The harbor master shall be the final arbitrator in cases of mooring rights, and shall assign moorings to boat owners. The harbor master may change assignments of all watercraft moored from time to time as crowded conditions dictate and as the harbor master sees fit.
5. The harbor master shall inform mooring assignees that mooring assignments are not transferable.
6. When practical, the harbor master shall assign mooring privileges in those waters where individuals own shore rights to a parcel of land.
7. No person shall be allowed to bring into Town boundary waterways or maintain any derelict watercraft, watercraft for salvage or abandon any craft without a permit from the harbor master. (Selectmen are final judge of derelict and abandoned watercraft).