Town of Lamoine, Maine
Minutes of the Special Town Meeting
Town Clerk Jennifer Kovacs called the meeting to order at 9:55 AM at the Lamoine Town Office
1. To choose a moderator to preside over said meeting.
Stuart Marckoon was nominated and the nomination 2nd as moderator. It was moved to cease nominations. Written ballots were cast – 6 in favor of Mr. Marckoon, none opposed. Clerk Kovacs declared Mr. Marckoon the winner and administered the oath of office to him.
At 10:00 AM, Mr. Marckoon declared the polls opened to vote on the following articles by secret ballot:
2. To vote by secret ballot referendum on the following question contained in a citizen petition: To see if the Town will vote to appropriate $200,000 to purchase a new fire rescue pumper truck, using $25,000 from the Fire Truck Reserve Fund, $50,000 donated from the Lamoine Volunteer Fire Department, and to authorize the Selectmen to borrow up to $125,000 over 5-years for the remainder. (The Selectmen recommend a yes vote)
MUNICIPAL TREASURER’S FINANCIAL STATEMENT
[30-A MRSA § 5404(1-A) & 5772(2-A)]
Town of Lamoine
1. Total town Indebtedness.
a. Bonds Outstanding and unpaid: $ 0.00
b. Bonds authorized and un-issued: $ 0.00
c. Bonds to be issued if this question is approved: $125,000.00
2. At an estimated maximum interest rate of 4.0%, the estimated costs of this
bond issue will be:
Five (5) Years (2004-2008)
Interest: $ 13,114.18
Total Debt Service: $138,114.18
3. Validity. The validity of the bonds and of the voters’ ratification of the bonds may not be affected by any errors in the above estimates. If the actual amount of the total debt service or the bond issue varies from the estimate, the ratification by the electors is nevertheless conclusive and the validity of the bond issue is not affected by reason of the variance.
3. To vote by secret ballot referendum on the following question contained in a citizen petition: To see if the Town will vote to increase the three member Select Board to a five member Select Board.
4. To vote by secret ballot referendum on the following question: Shall an ordinance entitled June 2004 Amendments to the Town of Lamoine Building & Land Use Ordinance be enacted? (A copy of this ordinance is available for review at the Lamoine Town Clerk’s Office)
At 8:00 PM moderator Marckoon declared the polls closed. Following tabulation of the 400 ballots cast, the moderator announced the results as follows:
Article 2 – Yes 259, No 140. The article is passed
Article 3 – Yes 212, No 184. The article is passed
Article 3 – Yes 177, No 192. The article is defeated.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned following the announced results at approximately 9:45 PM
/s/ Jennifer M. Kovacs, Town Clerk
/s/ Stuart Marckoon, Moderator