Town of Lamoine, Maine
Minutes of the Lamoine
November 2, 2004
Town Clerk Jennifer Kovacs called the meeting to order at 9:55 AM.
1. To choose a Moderator to preside over said meeting.
Stuart Marckoon was nominated and 2nd. There were no other nominations. A secret ballot cast 15 votes in favor of Mr. Marckoon, with none in opposition. Mr. Marckoon took oath of Moderator given by Jennifer Kovacs.
Mr. Marckoon declared the polls open to vote on the following articles beginning at 10:00 AM.
2. To vote by secret ballot referendum on the following question: Shall the Town of Lamoine amend the Ordinance Regarding Municipal Elections, Terms of Office, and Assumption of Official Responsibilities as follows:
Section one, Delete: Selectman & Overseer of the Poor (3 year term, 3 positions, staggered terms), replace with: Selectman & Overseer of the Poor (3 year term, 5 positions, staggered terms). Beginning at the Annual Town Meeting in March 2005, Selectman & Overseer of the Poor positions shall be elected to stagger the terms as follow- One (1) to a 1-year term, One (1) to a 2-year term, and One (1) to a 3-year term, with the terms to stagger at the subsequent annual town meetings.
The purpose of this amendment is to clarify the staggering of terms following a positive vote on June 8, 2004 to increase the size of the Board of Selectmen to five members.
3. To vote by secret ballot referendum on the following question:
To see if the voters of the Town of Lamoine will appropriate and authorize a Majority of the municipal officers of the Town to borrow on behalf of the Town, a principal amount not to exceed $350,000 through the issuance of general obligation bonds or notes in the name of the Town of Lamoine, which may be callable bonds or notes, the proceeds to be used substantially to finance the purchase of three parcels of land consisting collectively of 25.2 acres, more or less, located on Lamoine Beach Road in the Town of Lamoine and further described as follows:
1. 20 acres from Duane Crawford & Julie Tilden, Book 2893 Page 138 in the Hancock County Registry of Deeds, a portion of Tax Map 3 Lot 19
2. Up to 3 acres from David & Melanie Miller, Book 2004 Page 77 in the Hancock County Registry of Deeds, a portion of Tax Map 3 Lot 19
3. Up to 2.2 acres from Charles & Deborah Swanberg, Book 1659 Page 308 in the Hancock County Registry of Deeds, a portion of Tax Map 3 Lot 19
(the “Parcels”), said Project to be acquired by the Town for municipal or school use and further to authorize the municipal officers to do any and all things and to take any and all actions and execute any and all documents necessary or convenient to issue the bonds or notes of the Town and to acquire the Parcels.
Mr. Marckoon declared the polls closed at 8:00 PM. Following a count by the ballot clerks, Mr. Marckoon declared Question 1 passed on a vote of 733 yes and 275 no. Question 2 failed on a vote of 541 no and 472 yes. There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 1:00 AM on November 3, 2004
Jennifer M. Kovacs, Town Clerk